Multitrack Bass Improv

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by ProjectGenome04, Sep 7, 2005.

1. Yeah, I feel like a jerk asking you guys to listen to my stuff, but I'd really appreciate it. http://users.wpi.edu/~ibennett/an_ode_to_all_that_is_meant_to_be_good_and_peaceful.mp3
    It's a drum loop and three tracks of bass... it's a shorter song, I wrote and recorded it in about an hour, I was just wondering if I could get any of your thoughts. I enjoy constructive criticism as well. Thank you, I really do appreciate you taking your time for this.

-Ian

2. BillytheBassist

BillytheBassist

Aug 18, 2005
    Texas
    Nice work Ian, what kind of bass or basses did you use to record with?

3. The fretted tracks I use an Ibanez EDA900 (I love that bass) and the fretless is a Warwick Corvette Std. I love the tones that I can pull out of the Ibanez with the piezos and the Warwick isn't too shabby itself haha. And thank you for listening.

4. Very nice!! I really like how you "pull" in-and-out of unison lines with the fretted and fretless, and the EDA reminds me of Brian Bromberg's sound.

I'd love to do some looped/multitracked ideas I have when I get a recording setup. So soon... :rollno:

~Another Ian :smug:

5. MikeyFingers

MikeyFingers Guest

Aug 1, 2005
    Long Island, NY
    Very cool and very wierd. Well, at least that background sound is wierd, the percussion or whatever it is. I think it might sound better without that. Awesome bass piece, I think it would sound better with nothing but bass. Very cool though.

6. 20one

20one Guest

Jan 10, 2003
    Abilene, TX
    Yeah, the bass tracks sound very nice but that perc track makes it a rather confusing piece.

7. Hmm... I guess it's funny because all of the lines are actually improvised for the recording, the only thing that i had to start off with was the percussion track haha. I listened to the track with the percussion part muted out and it definitely lacked an ending and some rhythmic propulsion. I think that was actually part of my intent with the exercise was to try and take a beat and mess around with it and try to throw something over it that you usually wouldn't expect to hear. If you want me to post a copy of it without the drum track I'd be more than happy to :). Most of my written stuff in general is kind of weird, which you can listen to at http://www.myspace.com/ibennett , but just ignore the vocals haha... But really, I appreciate everyone who has listened and commented so far, it's nice to hear a different point of view on things that you're doing. I would have never thought to try and pull the drum track out. Again, thanks.

8. BillytheBassist

BillytheBassist

Aug 18, 2005
    Texas
    I recognized that bass tone.... I have an eda 905 ( i love mine too). anyway's .... Peace