Music a lesson in humility

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by mcbassdude, May 23, 2003.

1. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i don't know about humility in my case, since i don't wrap up my self worth in my skills - i do what i do to the best of my ability. i don't feel cocky or superiour when i hear someone who doesn't perform as well as i do either. i do, however, enjoy listening to a good bassist playing in a good song. :)

2. BIg O

BIg O Guest

Apr 3, 2002
    Kitchener, ON, Canada
    Humility and appreciation of other's skills are just components to growing as a musician. Every few months that go by I learn a lot - and the amount that I don't know seems to increase at twice the learning rate!!

That is a function of learning anything, IMHO.

Just don't substitute self-deprecation for humility - unless it serves to motivate you. I like to look at others and see how much better I might be able to get. I also try to recognize my strengths - good time and feel are essential parts of the blues and R&B classics my main band plays, and I think those are things I execute reasonably well - of course there is ALWAYS room for improvement..:meh: :D

3. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz Guest

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    I think any real musician knows that they're never as good as they can be.

It saddens me when I hear players saying that they "know all they need to know" and/or going around thinking they're "all that"...

Music isn't a competition, but if it was I'd take 'em all down ;) :rolleyes:

4. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Portland, OR
    I never think I'm good enough.
    I'm usually right.

5. Atshen

Atshen

Mar 13, 2003
    Grim Cold Québec
    When you stop learning, you stop growing. I don't remember who said that first, but I think it says it all.

6. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Whenever I see another bassist live, I see it as a learning opputunity and try to pick up everything I can. Even if the bassist is at a lower skill level than I, (which is a pretty subjective statement in itself anyways), I'm still watching to see what's going on. To truly be great at something, you can't be to proud to learn from wherever you can.

7. sir juice

sir juice

Sep 11, 2006
    London, England
    *digs up old thread*

I'm currently in two really conflicting musical communities. I've been to lots of schools, and my current is the smallest and somehow, I'm surrounded by the most talented bunch of musicians I've ever known. I play with one guitarist, who literally is incredible (been practicing 6-10 hour days for about 10 years) who is one of the nicest guys around and will alwyas give the most useful, constructive criticism. He's one of the best teachers I've ever had. He's invited me to jams with pro players, including one my bass teacher intended completely coincidentally, so I'm in a good place. Keeps me humble with my feet firmly on the ground.

On the other end of the spectrum, I play a lot of "sessions" for local rock/indie acts. I'm not in a band but I do a lot of recording and gigs for various groups. I've never condidered myself a member because I don't have any creative input (my choice) and most of the time I play the stuff simply for the love of playing my instrument, and the occasional payments never hurt (the London scene thrives). Around these musicians and the other bass players who are in groups who share the bill I recieve a lot of compliments and I'm seen as somewhat of a virtuoso simply because I can play a sloppy version of Donna Lee.

It feels like a great combination of things because in one culture I'm aspiring to much higher ability levels and am constantly becoming a better player, and the other side of my playing stops me from feeling down about being surrounded by much better players the rest of the time.

It's nice to have a reminder that I am a good player, with lots of potential, but I still have so much to go.

Essay over.

8. You are in good company!

I think anyone who is genuinely interested in continually improving whatever they are doing always sees the areas that need improvement as opposed to reveling in the stuff they just improved upon.

I have friends who seem to believe that "if I learn this, I'll be much happier with myself" and fail to see that "learning this" always leads to another "Ok, now if I learn that..." - and they get disappointed and decide it's easier to just stay put and accept where they are as opposed to striving to learn more.

It's a temperament thing. If one can't deal with always becoming aware of areas that can be improved upon and seek to find some "end point" where they are suddenly everything they always wanted to be, learning is a depressing thing for them. Instead of digging the journey, they're constantly wondering "are we there yet?" - to which the answer is always, "No."

9. RED5

RED5 Guest

Jan 14, 2008
    Suffolk County,NY
    Not alone, I think that when we begin to buy our hype? we're done. I keep that humility in front at all times, stay open and learn. What I tell people who praise my abilities? "You should hear the guys that impress me"!

10. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    yeah, but this applies to life, too...

the more i learn and experience life, the dumber i feel cause i see more and more of what i don't know.

nasty, ain't it? :D

11. soong

soong

May 10, 2007
    Sydney
    Yeah even though probably havent been playing as long as you guys i definitely know what you mean.
    Having great musical idols really constantly puts you in your place too, ha

12. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Supporting Member

Same here.

13. winston

winston Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    East Bay, CA
    I've been playing bass about 25 years (some of those professionally) and I still feel like a beginner. I mean that in a positive way--I've acquired some skills, but I'm aware of how much I still want to learn. And usually it's the simple things--keeping song forms, playing repetitive parts--that really kick my @ss.

It's only since I started writing music a couple years ago that I feel like I'm becoming the musician I've always wanted to be. I'm more interested in melody, arrangements, and the expression of ideas than technique these days.

14. IanStephenson

IanStephenson UnRegistered User

Apr 8, 2006
    When I had more time (before kids) I used to to a bit of photography...

When I started out I was happy if I got one or two good shots on a roll of film.

After a few years I was much better, and I was happy if I got one or two good shots on a roll of film...

Music is the same.

15. WRBass

WRBass

Dec 10, 2006
    Houston, Tx.
    I don't think music is supposed to be a lesson in humility. Music is for entertainment and enjoyment. It's like art.

For a lesson in humility, try golf! :crying:

16. Spoiled Grape

Spoiled Grape I <3 Darkstar

May 29, 2003
    Riverside, CA
    You aren't alone. It's great to constantly be challenged.