My most recent perdicament...

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by BassMan257, Mar 21, 2006.

1. BassMan257

BassMan257 Guest

Jul 22, 2005
    Saint Louis Missouri
    at one point in time, i decided i wasnt going to even try to build necks... and i bought the neck pictured below to put on the body pictured below... do you think that its puting descrase to the body? i mean... if i were to decide to make a neck, what woods should i make it out of? i mean, the body is a mahogany body, with a cherry and walnut top... whats a good wood to go with? and where could i find a blank?

[​IMG]

ps... if you dont think its that bad of a match, dont feel bad to tell me... im just having doubts... and being a 90 dollar Mighy Mite neck, im not sure if its worth it to put it on or not...

2. DSB1

DSB1 Guest

Mar 8, 2006
    I would encourage you to make your own neck. It's not as much of an undertaking as you may think :)

This site has a lot of info on the subject and there are several books one could buy also.

Aesthetically, I think the Fender type neck would look a little off IMHO

3. Did you make that body? If so, you have the skill needed to make a neck.

If you wanted to use this neck, though, I think this shape would look better on that body, and you might be able to trim that headstock to make this. [​IMG]

4. pilotjones

pilotjones

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    How about you reshape the head a bit, or put a mini f-hole in it, and then apply a walnut veneer?

5. BassMan257

BassMan257 Guest

Jul 22, 2005
    Saint Louis Missouri
    no, i didnt make the body... but i understand how it was done....

also, ive looked here for neck tutorials... and havent found any... out of like 364 threads with "neck" in the title, I didnt find a tutorial... just people saying things like "weve discussed this before a thousand times"

funny you say i use the tele...that was my origonal intention...

also... suggestions for neck wood? I was thinking just plain cherry if that will work... with an ebony board (fretless)....

then the question is if i want a 2x2 or a 4 in line... I just dont know what would match...

what I would LOVE is to get or make one of those necks with the scrolls at the end... like on an upright...

do you suggest using walnut for the neck? will this be really expensive?

6. Geoff St. Germaine

Geoff St. Germaine Commercial User

Aug 31, 2001
    Halifax, Canada
    Owner - St. Germaine Guitars

You can use walnut. I'd look for pieces with straight grain, or buy it from someone who can select it for you, like Larry at Galley Hardwoods. It shouldn't really cost any more than if you used maple, plain walnut is not very expensive.

7. BassMan257

BassMan257 Guest

Jul 22, 2005
    Saint Louis Missouri
    is cherry possible too? or would i have to use a veneer?

8. Geoff St. Germaine

Geoff St. Germaine Commercial User

Aug 31, 2001
    Halifax, Canada
    Owner - St. Germaine Guitars
    A veneer? Where? On the back of the neck?

9. BassMan257

BassMan257 Guest

Jul 22, 2005
    Saint Louis Missouri

no no no... i really want the stripe on the bod to continue up the neck.. could i make it a neck with the cherry stripe running all the way through? or is that not possible? cause I think it would look sick

10. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    So the body is walnut and cherry?

Yes, if the walnut is black walnut and straight grained, a cherry strip would be quite ok. And look quite good, too.

Making a neck is, theóretically, just about being scrutinous. Try it.

11. Worshiper

Worshiper Guest

Aug 13, 2004
    New York
    I actually don't think it's that bad of a match. It's hard tom impagine anything off the top of my head (aside from a fender style) that would suit it better.

By the way, check out projectguitar.com for neck tutorials. They got great stuff over there for that, but I think the tutorial is for a guitar neck. You would just have to change some numbers, not a biggie.

12. DSB1

DSB1 Guest

Mar 8, 2006
    Let's say walnut is going to be $8.00/bf. Now let's also say your neck black will be 2"x3"x3' Then it would only be 1.5bf or $12.00 for the neck wood.

Of course you could use a thinner piece and use a scarf joint for the headstock or simply use a stepped-down Fender style headstock.

13. BassMan257

BassMan257 Guest

Jul 22, 2005
    Saint Louis Missouri
    It would be sick if i could carve a scroll on it... thats what i truely want to do... make it even more like an ampeg...

so something thicker that would be nessisary... at least I think.. maybe not...

14. fattie64

fattie64 Guest

Oct 3, 2004
    fyi walnut is generally between $4.25-6.00/bd. ft unless it is figured

15. BassMan257

BassMan257 Guest

Jul 22, 2005
    Saint Louis Missouri
    BD? im soooo confused...did you mean bf? cause if you did... i still dont know what that means..

16. barthanatos

barthanatos Insert witty comment here

Feb 8, 2006
    South Carolina
    He meant, "per board foot".

17. BassMan257

BassMan257 Guest

Jul 22, 2005
    Saint Louis Missouri
    wow... that is incredibly cheeply cheap...

i havent got a quote yet from the gallery hardwoods

18. nateo

nateo Schubie Fan #1

Mar 2, 2003
    Ottawa, Ontario
    Larry will probably charge you a bit more, but you can be very certain you'll get a quality piece of wood from him. From your local lumber yard the onus is all on you to pick the right bits, but the price will likely be lower (not to mention the lack of shipping).

Diff'rent strokes for diff'rent folks.

-Nate

19. BassMan257

BassMan257 Guest

Jul 22, 2005
    Saint Louis Missouri
    yeah.. i just dont know if ive got a lumber yard close... ive allready searched on the net... just cant find anything..

theres a 'hardwoods' STORE close... so prices wil be somewhat up there...

20. BassMan257

BassMan257 Guest

Jul 22, 2005
    Saint Louis Missouri
    would this work?

This does not AT ALL look to match my body color... I dont know if it would be a good choice... but its hecka cheap.. just wanta know what you guys think...