Nail Polish used on Pickups?!?!?!?!!

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Punk_Princess19, Oct 12, 2001.

1. Someone told me that you can put clear nail polish of the magnets and it will lower or stop buzzing.. Is this true?!?!?!?:confused:

2. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Probably not.

If you've got loose windings, "potting" (ie. waxing) the pickups so that the loose windings are held in place will prevent noise. For regular 60 cycle hum, you need some sort of electrical shielding, like foil or conductive paint.

3. lo-end

lo-end Guest

Jun 15, 2001
    PA
    I dont think so. The only thing it would do is screw up your pickups more than Squier pups are to begin with :eek:

shouldnt this thread be moved to the pickups forum where it belongs?

4. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Well, this will be my first official move as a moderator.:D

Off to Pickups you go.

5. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur GollihurMusic.com In Memoriam

Mar 22, 2000
    Cape of New Jersey
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music (retired)
    That was probably in reference to a pickup with poles, like most Fender Precisions. I had never experienced it before, but when I accidentally brushed a finger against one of the exposed metal poles I got a 60 cycle hum. Upon posting an inquiry, it was recommended that I coat the pole with clear nail polish (or you could use other clear finishes suited for such surfaces) to insulate it.

It worked. And that sort of problem and answer may be where the comment came from.