NBD: Aria Pro II

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by devnulljp, Apr 1, 2016.

Tags:
  1. devnulljp

devnulljp Supporting Member

Oct 13, 2009
    BC, Canada
    Admin on the D*A*M Forum
    Just picked up a beautiful early Aria Pro II SB700 for mostly sentimental reasons (see below)
    Got a good price (can't believe these aren't more sought after). What a great bass. Stoked to have one again.

DSC_0016_zps0jwz1yrw.gif
    DSC_0025_zpssq5mtfxd.gif

Back story: When I was 17 I joined a gigging band of older (in their 20s) musicians using a borrowed Peavey bass.
    By around 18 or so I finally bought a nice Aria Pro II SB700 off the local classified ads for the princely sum of £150 (which was more than I could afford at the time really). I played that thing night and day til it became a part of me, gigged it mercilessly and it never let me down. My blood, sweat, tears bass. I loved that thing, and was gutted when it was stolen.

Moved on to other things, but always harkened back to that bass. Looked for it on and off for years but never found that one.
    This isn't *the* one, but it's close :)

th_f95ca9fa.gif

Nomogram, mpdd, Greener and 4 others like this.
  2. JoeSlam80

JoeSlam80 Guest

Mar 21, 2016
    Germany
    Good find! I had an Aria Pro too (can't remember the model). The bridges are great on these.

Have fun!

3. DigitalMan

DigitalMan Bring Back Edit/Delete

Nov 30, 2011
    Bay Area, CA
    Nice bass. Looks great. Makes me want to bust out a Nagel and find some sparkly blue hair gel. Maybe other folks have a different nostalgia than me....

4. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    They were always great basses back in the day, and very under-rated. Maybe they got fashion-sidelined as the 80's Duran Duran bass? Who knows, nobody around now remembers that, so what's old is new! I always wondered if they were neck heavy with that giant headstock. I know I played a few, but can't remember much other than a fast neck and good sound.

5. devnulljp

Oct 13, 2009
    BC, Canada
    Admin on the D*A*M Forum
    Not neck heavy at all. Nicely balanced. No neck dive. I think the relatively long top horn stops it tipping.

Gilmourisgod likes this.
  6. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    Were they true neck through, or bolt on with faux thru neck? They can be a nightmare if the neck goes wrong, but I love the sustain of a neck through, and the carved heel design. Have fun with it, I'm building a Ric 4001 clone as my nostalgia trip.

7. devnulljp

Oct 13, 2009
    BC, Canada
    Admin on the D*A*M Forum
    The SB1000, 900 and 700 were proper neck-through. I think some of the later models were faux neckthrough (SB600?), like some of the other lower end Matsumokus (I had a Westone Thunder like that once).

This one's neckthrough

DSC_0007_zpsciuiiffu.gif
    DSC_0014_zps5ytnobbe.gif

Gilmourisgod and Ronbeast like this.
  8. Greener

Greener

Jan 23, 2014
    Beautiful, welcome back!