New Bass Day! Xotic P Bass!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassfootballguy, Jun 2, 2016.

Tags:
  1. bassfootballguy

bassfootballguy Spectacularly Average Gold Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2007
    A small, small town
    Ok, I have had this thing for over 24 hours now, so it is time to post this.
    First off, for you "Fender knock off" haters, there's an emergency in aisle 9 where some dude says his Essex is better than a pre-CBS that Leo tuned just before it left in '63.
    Second, for you "parts bass" critics, someone called asking if the screws holding yours together were carved from the same enchanted acacia tree as the rest of your bass... Pick up line 3 or call em back at 1-555-1212.
    Now... For those interested, pictures of a genuine Fender P knock off parts bass (I kid, I kid!!!):
    image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg
    Apologies for my semi-decent photo skills. I'm a Polaroid guy in an iPhone world.
    Will respond with a further review later...

James

2. Ghastly

Ghastly

Oct 18, 2015
    Mill Valley
    Nice pics.

bassfootballguy likes this.
  3. bassfootballguy

Apr 2, 2007
    A small, small town
    Thanks!

4. Dan Knowlton

Dan Knowlton Sometimes you're the dog, sometimes the tree Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2000
    Palm Coast, FL
    COOL! I LIKE that knock-off bass!

Dan

walldaja and bassfootballguy like this.
  5. meatwad

meatwad Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2008
    Smallville, USA
    I dig those pickups!

6. What do all the knobs and switches do?

walldaja likes this.
  7. project_c

project_c

May 8, 2008
    London, UK
    Congratulations, I love these basses! That TriLogic preamp sounds beautiful, I think tone-wise this is probably the best super-p money can buy. It's an active bass but the tone just kills. The Travis Carlton demos on YouTube are great for anyone who's curious about them.

8. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Gold Supporting Member

congrats on your new bass! looks really nice!

9. mindwell

mindwell Supporting Member

Aug 17, 2006
    Wichita, KS
    These are super-terrific basses. Everything about them.

10. bassfootballguy

Apr 2, 2007
    A small, small town
    @Shawn Luckman the switches are midrange and treble frequency selectors. The chrome knobs are volume/tone just like a regular P bass, except the volume is pull up for passive operation. The tone knob also works whether the bass is in active or passive mode.
    The three knobs are (in order from closest to neck): bass boost/cut, midrange, treble.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2016
  11. bassfootballguy

Apr 2, 2007
    A small, small town
    The Travis Carlton demo videos had these on my radar a couple years ago. He does a great job of demonstrating their strengths.
    After a little time spent last night, here is a quick take:

Fit/finish/quality:
    Xotic does a top notch job on these basses. As an experienced sampler of Precision-style and P/J basses ranging from vintage Fenders through American boutique basses, I think I have enough of a sample to evaluate the quality of an instrument objectively. This Xotic bass is right at the top of the instruments I have owned.
    This bass has a finish that is incredibly well done and has a beautiful depth to it in person. It might seem like an ordinary three-tone burst, but it looks different depending on angle and just shines in person.
    The neck is a satin oil finish with a full profile and a fairly flat fingerboard radius. It's a 21-fret neck with Jescar silver nickel frets and goes from 22.5mm at the first fret to 25.5mm at the 12th. Width at the bone nut is 1.654 and last fret is 2.520.
    I don't have large hands by any stretch, but navigation on this substantial neck is astonishingly easy for me. It is smooth and fast and easy to access upper fret regions for chordal work - partly due to the rounded/sculpted neck/body joint that feels like it was measured around my hand. It's a good design feature.
    The body is alder and a traditional P shape that balances well on the strap. No need to change what isn't broken!
    The headstock is a pretty standard take with an attractive cut. Xotic's logo is nice looking, too. An unobtrusive, yet distinct brand.
    The headstock is fitted with the superb Hipshot tuners and a standard A string retainer. No cutting corners there. Xotic uses parts that are distinctives of quality throughout the industry.
    The weight is good and light at 8.5 pounds. It's balance and light weight make for a pleasant set-length experience that doesn't strain the shoulder or neck.
    The pickup is Xotic's own with a wood cover over it that blends nicely with the brown tortoise pickguard. It's a nice visual touch that seems to show instantly you're looking at an Xotic bass.

Sound:
    For lack of a better opening term - "heft" is the word I choose. There is a presence and girth to the tone even without any boost dialed from the preamp. It's like an immediate bump in the 200-400 range. The bass boost goes from subtle to sumo pretty quickly. The midrange tone controls can set this bass to knife its way right through a mix. The treble controls, between the toggle and the knob and passive tone control can surgically take out zing or add in a sizzle sweetness even with flats (LaBellas on there right now).
    I'm a food guy and I associate sound with flavor, so I'd call this bass tone-wise a semi-sweet dark chocolate with a fullness to the flavor.
    It can be Motown or raging thunder with quick adjustments.

Overall, I would rate this bass as highly in quality as I have ever owned. It is equal to "Golden Age" Warwicks, Pedullas, the Sadowsky NYC I had and all the Laklands I've owned. It surpasses them all in some respects.
    Xotic makes a darn fine bass and they come at some incredible prices considering the level of quality. Thanks to @srcTW for passing this one along!

Have a blessed day!

Last edited: Jun 3, 2016
  12. walldaja

walldaja

Apr 27, 2011
    Beautiful and well designed bass. Nothing to be shy about. Like driving a Bentley in a Ford world. Similar but not a direct comparison.

13. UNICORN BASS

UNICORN BASS

Feb 10, 2016
    Michigan USA
    Very tasty, pun intended.

14. kobass

kobass Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Outside Boston
    I've heard nothing but great things about Xotic basses.

Yours sure is a beauty!

Congrats and enjoy! :bassist:

15. TideSwing

TideSwing

Oct 31, 2014
    Las Vegas
    good stuff. had the p5 for a bit.

16. Aqualung60

Aqualung60

Jun 19, 2013
    New Jersey
    Very nice, that definitely makes my shorts snug. It's a beauty, enjoy!

17. Dragan

Dragan

Oct 5, 2009
    looks nice,what to say, after seeing some of xotic videos, I decided to buy Xotic pre for my Fender..so I will have both - real Fender and knock off terrific preamp :)

18. Love those pups!! Good score!

19. wintremute

wintremute mediocrity at its finest

Oct 16, 2014
    Vegas
    Endorsing Artist: Langstrom Carrot Farms
    Nice statement! Those pics are pretty good. I waved my monitor around a few times to get them to dry and become clearer.

20. jaypee

jaypee

Apr 24, 2009
    That's a definite fake counterfeit '76 Xotic P bass. The logo is all wrong.....

Wait...wrong thread....

No, really, congrats! Gorgeous bass!