New Neck on my MIM Fender P Special.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by robbotbass, Jan 26, 2012.

1. robbotbass

robbotbass Guest

Apr 11, 2009
    Casper Wyoming USA
    I have a Fender P special MIM that I love. The only thing I'm not really sold on is the P neck. I'd really like to put a Jazz neck on this bass (perhaps like from a Geddy Lee signature).

I like playablity of a Jazz neck, and the neck on this bass is just a little bulky and slow for my taste (although there is nothing mechanically wrong with this neck).

Has anyone done this or have any advice on this? Good or bad I'm still weighing the options. Any feedback would be awesome!

[​IMG]
    Bass in question

2. tangentmusic

tangentmusic A figment of our exaggeration

Aug 17, 2007
    Reno/Tahoe
    Well that's funny.
    I have an '04 P-Bass Special MIM (passive version) just like yours but in Artic White.
    Mine came standard with a Jazz neck.
    I think thats how they marketed this model.

3. robbotbass

robbotbass Guest

Apr 11, 2009
    Casper Wyoming USA
    Your right looked it up and this bass did come with a J neck. I bought mine off a buddy of mine and I could swear he said it had a P neck on it. And this neck really feels and plays like a P neck. I guess then it wouldn't matter if I put a J neck on it. I'll have to ask him if he modded a P neck on it or if he's just wrong.

4. Huh. And all this time I thought these came with J necks.

Well, at least mine did.

Is that the original neck? And what's the width at the nut?

EDIT: OOPS, just saw your post. Yeah, check on it, I think you have J neck there.

5. jaybass58

jaybass58

Mar 31, 2009
    chicago
    I have done that before and it worked out great...

6. jaybass58

jaybass58

Mar 31, 2009
    chicago
    now that I look again,that is an active p-bass special so it is already a jazz neck..you probably think its slow because the finish is satin...take some 0000 steel wool to at,then use bowling alley wax on it to make it a little more slick...

7. tangentmusic

tangentmusic A figment of our exaggeration

Aug 17, 2007
    Reno/Tahoe
    Yeah.. Take a look at your headstock decal. If it says Precision Bass Special Deluxe Series, It's a Jazz neck

8. dave zilla

dave zilla Guest

May 17, 2011
    I have one of these necks on my jazz and it doesn't feel like a jazz. This neck (year unknown/unchecked) feels more like a capital D shape. The jazz neck I had was a much tighter, smaller feel but realistically it was a C shape, even though and nut and neck have the same measure all the way down.

My advice go to a shop and try a mim jazz neck and might or might not feel the difference and then go from there to change or not

9. progrmr

progrmr

Sep 3, 2008
    Columbus, Ohio
    I have an MIM Jazz I just got in a local trade and that neck doesn't feel like a Jazz neck. Not sure of the year but it's much thicker than some necks I've been playing (Samick P-bass and a Dean Razor which has an ibanez style neck).

But even the VM Jazzes have a smaller neck than this MIM Jazz does. Definitely feels P-bass'ish to me.