New Stambaugh

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Matt Power, Dec 6, 2005.

1. Matt Power

Matt Power Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2000
    Magnolia, TX
    Alrighty....this'll be my last commissioned bass for 2005...I've gone more than a little overboard in the new bass department this year....I figure this'll end the year with a bang! It's going to be:
    a 33" scale bolt on 4 string
    african mahogany body...light!!
    eucalyptus burl top...really blonde!
    Maple neck
    birdseye board
    red abalone heart block inlays
    Nordstrand dual coils under birdseye covers
    Bart 3 band with a passive tone control and series/parallel switching for each pickup and a 3 way mid switch
    banjo frets
    gold hardware
    Hipshot hardware with brass bridge saddles
    elongated headstock for more taughtness in the 33" scale
    brass nut
    jazz spec neck w/24 frets
    ebony knobs

Chris says he's going to start it in early February, and it should be done by the end of February!! Yowza! Now THAT'S having your production schedule together!!

I'm going to try to attach a pic...if it doesn't work, could someone here help me out? The pic is on Chris Stambaugh's website...it's in the collection gallery under the name Torrain. It's the blonde Fodera Emperor-looking one on the bottom with the blocks/birdseye board. There's a couple of shots of it....could someone here with more technological skills than myself (which ain't saying much) try to post the pics? My bass will look very similar, but in a 4 string, and different colored blocks...someone here help a brother out?

So...whaddaya think of the look of the bass? You dig it?? What would be YOUR dream stambaugh?

Mods...if this thread is too much of a duplicate thread, mea culpa. Please fell free to merge them if you feel it's more appropriate!
    I've been staring at a pic of this bass for a while...time to act!!
    ...post away!

2. Matt Power

Jul 2, 2000
    Magnolia, TX
    Holy cr*p! It worked! I've entered the 21st century!! No more smoke signals for me!! :D

You guys dig?

3. mark beem

mark beem Wait, how does this song start again??

Jul 20, 2001
    Alabama, USA
    Looks like it'll be sweet!!! Love that shape..

4. Beautiful. I would, however, somehow change the knob configuration so it doesn't look like an exact Fodera copy... that's a little bit cheezy IMO.

5. Matt Power

Jul 2, 2000
    Magnolia, TX
    Mark,
    I know that you love your Stambaugh....what are the things that stand out the most for you? Feel...construction...sound...whatever?

Let 'er rip!
    BTW, I love the look of your 8 string...nicely balanced-looking design!

KJung,
    I know what you mean...that is a little blatant. But...yo amo el queso!

6. Joe Turski

Joe Turski Guest

Jul 29, 2003
    Connecticut
    m
    Join Club Stambaugh

Very sweet bass, I've stared at that bass on his site many times.

:cool:

7. I'll take a stab at that until Mark has a chance to reply. The three things that most impress me about my Stambaugh are:

1) Fit and finish... absolutely perfect... fretwork, setup, laminates, everything as top notch as I've ever seen... and I've seen almost everything!

2) Playability.... the neck is stiff, solid, doesn't move, and feels amazing... also, perfect balance.

3) Price/Value.... it's a LOT of bass for the money.

The sound can greatly be impacted by the preamp and pickups. My Pope/Aero combination is very warm, mellow and woody. Interestingly, that's not really my thing, but wanted one bass that would have that profile. I'm very, very pleased with the instrument.

8. mark beem

mark beem Wait, how does this song start again??

Jul 20, 2001
    Alabama, USA
    CLICK HERE for the review I did for it. That should answer 99% of it. If you have any specific questions please ask. In short, I like everything about it. The only thing I'd probably go back and change would be to have had the body chambered.