Nova guitar parts headless P bass conversion

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by johnh89, Sep 16, 2021.

1. johnh89

johnh89

Jan 25, 2020
    Kent UK
    After a bit of research on here , and a hankering for something a little different , I purchased a headless bridge and headpiece from Andre Passini ( I believe he is a member here ) . Firstly to say the man is a gent and from first contact via email , to getting bridge delivered to UK from Brazil was less than a week . If you are after a headless bridge at a more than reasonable price , The Nova guitar parts one takes some beating .
    So , a parts P bass of mine was butchered into the following..
    IMG_0132.JPG

The conversion was very straightforward . I laminated the cut down headstock with 2mm carbon fibre sheet to strengthen it after filling the machine head hole with maple dowel , and screwed the bridge on as a guide for where to rout out the body to get the string height down , and also to machine the heel to clear the tuners . By one of those lucky quirks of fate , neither needed to be done ! so it was strung up and finished .(sort of ) . I did consider remaking the control plate and pickup surround out of carbon fibre but after doing the headstock with it , I realised what a messy , difficult pain in the arse it is to work with so the tort remains .

IMG_0133.JPG
    IMG_0135.JPG The bass itself is a white ash slab P bass body with EMG geezer pickups with a tone cap mod detailed here
    EMG Geezer Butler tone cap change
    . The neck was a cheapish score from ebay and after a bit of work is a great player . The body and neck are both waxed with black bison wax which I love as a finish , and is easy to refinish after such minor mods as this one .

IMG_0134.JPG

Currently strung with roto 77 flats and it sounds a beast .

I know this is not going to be everyones cup of tea but I am open to all comments as to its existence . It fits in a guitar gig bag and takes a bit of getting used to not seeing the top 8 inches that have always been there . The bridge and headpiece are lovely pieces of engineering and get my recommendation .If anyone has any questions I will do my best to answer them .

And before anyone asks , yes its heavy :D

OnlyFlats, 59jazz, Funky40 and 37 others like this.
  2. blacktocomm

blacktocomm Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2013
    West By God
    I would like it more with some paint on it, but otherwise I dig it. Cool bass.

r931 and johnh89 like this.
  3. Looks good enjoy playing it :thumbsup:.

johnh89 likes this.
  4. Yes @Passini seems to be a great guy. I ordered a set from him last year and received the hardware from Brazil quicker then some other parts I ordered from Arizona. I believe he also has individual bridges now for custom spacing and fanned fret shenanigans.

Also, that logo on the back looks like it could be several other phrases until you “see it.” :laugh:

9F454CF3-6199-4F43-BDAD-2F404F09D3E4.jpeg

I just realized I don’t have a picture of the whole bass but here’s the body anyway. Yes, the bridge and pickups are straight, it’s just the angle of the picture. :rollno:

shojii, Funky40, SpaceJockey and 10 others like this.
  5. johnh89

johnh89

Jan 25, 2020
    Kent UK
    What colour ? Original plan when it was first built was going to be red oxide primer in Matt with an aluminium chequer plate pickguard but when the body turned up it was such a beautiful piece of wood I couldn't bring myself to paint it

Williethump likes this.
  6. Passini

Passini Commercial User

Dec 11, 2018
    Timbó, SC, BRAZIL
    Guitar and bass bridge manufacturer, called NOVA Guitar Parts
    What an amazing Job John! I'm glad you liked the system.

shojii, BassmanM, Aqualung60 and 5 others like this.
  7. lug

lug Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    Headless AND Tort?!?!?!? It feels like 2 worlds colliding!

BassBuzzRS, BHaev, Mk90 and 5 others like this.
  8. Wanker_Joe

Wanker_Joe

Sep 26, 2017
    Very nice! I'm also using a Nova system and it's delightful!

IMG_16591.jpg

Funky40, jtlee, SpaceJockey and 15 others like this.
  9. Passini

Passini Commercial User

Dec 11, 2018
    Timbó, SC, BRAZIL
    Guitar and bass bridge manufacturer, called NOVA Guitar Parts
    Gorgeous!

Wanker_Joe likes this.
  10. Wanker_Joe

Wanker_Joe

Sep 26, 2017
    My bass has the individual bridges - I wanted specific spacing on it. Works well.

Passini likes this.
  11. Wanker_Joe

Wanker_Joe

Sep 26, 2017
    Thanks! My Luthier does some very nice work; he's wonderfully talented guy (and a wonderful person as well).

Passini likes this.
  12. Zoffy

Zoffy Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2020
    Sacramento CA
    That looks fantastic; I'm a fan of headless basses and I think the whole bass turned out great!

Passini likes this.
  13. J Posega

J Posega Cat Dad and Dingwall Enthusiast Inactive Suspended Supporting Member

Jul 16, 2005
    Portland, OR
    I’ll keep this hardware in mind if I finally break down and butcher a Squier Mini P to make a little travel bass.

Passini likes this.
  14. johnh89

johnh89

Jan 25, 2020
    Kent UK
    And flats . Don't forget the flats

mikewalker and Ryan in PDX like this.
  15. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    Great looking bass. Enjoy.
    My hat is of to you, beheading a bass is not a minor mod. Nice work.

Ryan in PDX likes this.
  16. lark_z

lark_z Gold Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2020
    Overland Park, KS
    I love it! I've been wanting to do the same.

17. CaribooBass

CaribooBass

Nov 30, 2017
    Cariboo
    These changes that you have done in my mind are brilliant. Well done Sir!
    I can help you with the weight issue, turn it into a fretless. That is the only thing I would of added to your creation.

18. Ryan in PDX

Ryan in PDX

Jan 14, 2020
    Thank you for sharing! Looks like a lot of fun. I want to do something similar...

Was the stump of the headstock weak in some way?

Does the weight in the new head piece maintain the original balance, or is the bridge heavy enough that it doesn't matter (as far as neck dive is concerned)? It's hard to tell how heavy that head piece is.

A heavy ash body will probably never have neck dive anyway, so maybe this is the wrong build to judge that.

Are you saying you mounted it flat on the body, with no routing required? Were these standard fender dimensions on the neck and body?

19. MVE

MVE

Aug 8, 2010
    I like the bass enough, but I’ve never been entirely comfortable with the term “headless”.

Can we come up with something better?

A Bridgetuner, Chopstock….maybe?

20. blacktocomm

blacktocomm Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2013
    West By God
    It is a nice piece of wood, I’m just partial to painted basses. If it was mine I would probably hit it with some sort of loud metal flake. My taste is not always appreciated though. :D

ctmullins and TrustRod like this.