Official Exquisite/Glarry/Burning Fire Bass Club?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by EatS1stBassist, Nov 14, 2019.

1. gh0st42

gh0st42

Oct 25, 2019
    Colorado
    You should be refunded sooner.

Mine gave me about a 1 week estimated wait before they could step in after I filed the first complaint. 2 days later I got an update seller asked them to look into it, and about 1 day later Ebay issued the refund. About 4 days earlier than they said I could ask them to "step in."

Roughly same timing for both of my orders being refunded.

EatS1stBassist, JRA and Telanoc like this.
  2. diegom

diegom Supporting Member

No, @CatchaCuda did not help me at all! :bawl::(
    :D:laugh::hyper:

I was left to my own devices and I ordered whatever cheap parts were available on eBay.

3. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Gold Supporting Member

ha! --- no! :laugh: i can't show you my desk --- it would make you go blind! :D

cool on the "minimal" thing, jawamac. :thumbsup:

nice looking ax, wow! cool instrument you have there. :thumbsup: re: shims --- you are not alone! no biggie. ;)
    :thumbsup:
    would be interesting --- i think glarry has had the rep of 'making things right' if there are problems. maybe they're a little more conscientious. let us know how that comparison works out if you follow through. ;)
    :laugh:
    good to know. i'm due on 4/6, too. thanks, jawamac! :thumbsup:

EatS1stBassist likes this.
  4. Jawamac

Jawamac

Nov 25, 2019
    Tampa, Fl

Hahahahaha!

5. Jawamac

Jawamac

Nov 25, 2019
    Tampa, Fl
    Spinning tonight-
    Tool-Lateralus
    One of my favorite bands since I was 16! Excellent album too! Anyone who can put the Fibonacci sequence into their music is not only a genius, but the coolest of cool. Sorry, @JRA :roflmao:

@CatchaCuda- the 7th song on this album is Parabola:smug:
    Yes, that’s an additional lava lamp:D

DA350158-6982-4F01-9DD2-34566E2F68D8.jpeg

JRA, EatS1stBassist, Telanoc and 2 others like this.
  6. Buz71

Buz71

Mar 29, 2018
    Central Wisconsin
    Jawa, thanks for the number. 75, I,ll buy the beer on my 75th

JRA, EatS1stBassist and Jawamac like this.
  7. Buz71

Buz71

Mar 29, 2018
    Central Wisconsin
    Got email from Ebay this a.m. that they're issuing a refund from robhe, the tracking number was invalid. Can't say this hasn't been fun. will still continue to follow this tread but there can't be too many left that didn't get a refund. Now I just need to figure out what I can get for my Glarry Jazz. With $20 can't do too much, prob some aesthetic addition, ashtry, etc. Like my mom always used to say " A little powder and a little paint makes a lady look what she ain't".

JRA, EatS1stBassist and Tommy V like this.
  8. Buz71

Buz71

Mar 29, 2018
    Central Wisconsin
    Just got an email from usps that the package was delivered to Buford GA, go figure. HAy, Ebay issued the refund not going to argue.

EatS1stBassist and Jawamac like this.
  9. GretschWretch

GretschWretch Supporting Member

Dec 27, 2013
    East Central Alabama
    And whose fault is that? Not the kids'. Someplace on every state's Department of Educations website can be found the Curriculum or Course of Study for that state's public schools. Find that and you will see what kids today are being taught. Or not.

JRA and Jawamac like this.
  10. GretschWretch

GretschWretch Supporting Member

Dec 27, 2013
    East Central Alabama
    If you don't work in the Holst suites for military band, then you are a reprobate and a scoundrel. :)

JRA likes this.
  11. diegom

diegom Supporting Member

20200326_201423.jpg

Tort arrived. Not good :( It looks like I will need to make a new pickguard from scratch...
    Now, back to your regularly scheduled programming...

Attached Files:

JRA, CatchaCuda, vid1900 and 2 others like this.
  12. mrbillbus

mrbillbus

Feb 28, 2020
    A couple of weeks ago I stumbled upon this thread. Diligence has finally paid off. I have reached the end and can post a simple hello.

I do not own a Glarry or any of their extended family members. Prior to being drawn into the vortex I had never even heard of them. Now I find myself wanting a Burlywood GIB. To be honest, after spending so much time with you all, I'm not sure if I want the bass as much as I want a number.

Not only have I enjoyed the posts and banter, I have gone down many rabbit trails regarding the various projects posted. Fret leveling? Shielding tape? Still can't get my head around any of the electronics stuff but have a hankering to file a nut and shim a neck. Who knows, I may even take a stab at installing a set of lollipops!

So once the restrictions are lifted, I should be able to scrounge up enough money with bottle returns (Michigan thing) to order a premium grade GIB in natural. Then I will petition for a number.

Until then, wash your hands!

Jawamac, Kinda BassVI, JRA and 3 others like this.
  13. Buz71

Buz71

Mar 29, 2018
    Central Wisconsin
    Welcome mrbill, that's just how I got started here. following the tread has been a real blast and there,s a bunch of great people here. If and when you do get your Glarry you will have a ton of experience to draw upon with any projects you decide to do. So again welcome, and keep us all updated as to the status of the GIB.
    Have a great w.e. and stay healthy

14. JRA

:roflmao:
    :laugh:

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

EatS1stBassist and CatchaCuda like this.
  15. JRA

diego: i think a lot of the aftermarket pickguards fit roughly as in your picture, but i thought a few members were able to 'wiggle' and do minor cuts to make them fit --- however, the one you have doesn't look close enough. i've forgotten who made their aftermarket fit, but surely someone will jump in and advise a source for the closest fit to start with. (i wonder if different batches of these things sport different routing patterns?) anyway, i hope you get something to work on your ax. ;)

CatchaCuda and diegom like this.
  16. Thatbastarddon

Thatbastarddon

Mar 16, 2019
    I haven’t personally tried these, but I did bookmark them in anticipation of my robhe bass actually arriving. They’re only available in black or white...

Guitarworks 11-Hole Split Coil Bass Scratchplate, White at Gear4music

Guitarworks 11-Hole Split Coil Bass Scratchplate, Black at Gear4music

No affiliation...just had an interest in the black one.

17. JRA

thanks, Thatbastarddon --- are you thinking that those pickguards fit the 'unique' glarry-style routing?

EatS1stBassist likes this.
  18. Thatbastarddon

Thatbastarddon

Mar 16, 2019
    Someone mentioned, in a thread here(maybe this one a few pages back), that the basses these were made for had a striking similarity to the Glarry P body. I have not tried...but I would have if I received my bass from robhe.

EatS1stBassist and JRA like this.
  19. As far as setup goes it's just the luck of the draw. I'm sure none of the sellers do anything but ship the boxes they bought to the final customer, none of them open them up to check anything.

In my case, I ordered a fretless directly from Glarry. I did that because the fretless versions had been out of stock everywhere and I wasn't aware that other sellers would also be offering them when a new shipment arrived. Turned out Glarry's price was $20 higher which I found odd. You would think it would be lower or at least the same but these basses seem to be listed at a very wide range of prices. I just saw a Glarry Jazz listed for over $200 with shipping!

Anyway, the setup on the Glarry fretless was terrible. Strings were a mile high so a shim was needed. That seems to be the norm. And there were other quality control issues - the bridge was mounted crooked, the pickup was not positioned correctly, and the controls didn't work correctly. Glarry does offer returns, which is what I tried to do, but they gave me an 80% refund and told me to keep the bass. The other, lower-priced, sellers also offer returns but I don't know any details about how they would handle a request.

OTOH, the $40 Burning Fire (unbranded) that I got from our scammer friend didn't need a shim. Quality control issues included tuners installed at an angle and a crooked nut. Unfortunately, it was damaged in shipping.

That's one difference I've noticed - the Glarrys ship with a form fitting styrofoam insert while the Burning Fire had almost zero protection.

I was able to fix the most important issues and I love both of them but I don't think who you buy from or how much you pay is at all related to setup or quality control issues.

EatS1stBassist, CatchaCuda and JRA like this.
  20. JRA

got it, thanks! diego wanted tort, i believe, but just having resources helps. :thumbsup:

thanks for the 'view'! :thumbsup: as you said: sounds like the axes which don't need substantial work are just the luck of the draw. ;)

EatS1stBassist, diegom and CatchaCuda like this.