Opinions on OLP Musicman 5

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by HiFi, Dec 31, 2003.

1. HiFi

HiFi

Apr 20, 2002
    Southern California
    My band members want me to pick up a 5 string and I don't want to drop too much dough into at the moment.

Has anyone played the OLP Musicman 5 (or 4), and if so, what did you think? Is it worth it and can it work as a main bass?

Thanks in advance.

2. BigTopBruno

BigTopBruno

Sep 6, 2002
    NJ, USA
    I have a 4 string that I got from MF for $129. Yeah...it's worth it.. for me it's a banger that I can leave lying around the house (2 young boys).

The sound is decent, and if you can eq your amp, you're fine.

My beef is that the neck is weak, and it needs constant truss rod adjustments, even with light strings. Intonation is inconsistent up and down the neck, also. If you like high action, or can do your own setups, you'll be fine.

I wouldn't use it as my main bass for gigs/recording. This, however, is subjective...it depends on what your concept of quality is.

If I was going to get a fiver for gigging, I'd spend a little more and get a used Kingston.

good luck

BTB

3. BustinJustin

BustinJustin banned

Sep 12, 2003
    NYC, LI too
    i agree with the above!

i grabed a 5er good solid bass, and this is coming from a die hard Warwick player. main bass... no. great back up bass though for little bucks. it is a mod worthy bass by far.

it'll cost ya under $200 if you shop around!

:bassist:

4. ehh i have the mm3, im not a big fan of it, it would make a great back up but not much of a main bass. here's a pic of mine

5. TurboRawker

TurboRawker Guest

Oct 23, 2003
    So. Car.
    I have one, a 5 string. I got it for Christmas, it's my first bass so I don't have a ton of exp ya know. Mine's a refurb and the only problem I have is that the jack for the cable comes loose and needs to bescrewed in. I can fix it with duct tape:D or wood glue. The pick guard feels a little weak, but those are my only problems/complaints.
    You may have heard that some low-end basses are made with some weak unknown substances (rouge maybe squier), not this one. It is porky wieghing in a 9+ lbs. It feels very solid though. The neck is nice and feels pretty fast to me. As far as a main, I don't know, I'm not there yet. It is pretty loud out of my 30 Watt Rogue amp. It needs more power than 30 to really use the Low B. I think it is a great bass. It isn't perfect, but I think the good outweighs the bad consdering I got it for 180 bucks at musiciansfriend.com.

6. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    That's porky? Try picking up my P-bass at just under 11. :D

Anyway, I traded my 4 string EB Ray for a weekend with a buddy who needed the sound to record and I had a craving to play a fiver again, so we swapped, and in the four days I had it, I had to adjust the truss rod...twice. The wiring is pretty shotty, and the pots turn leading to twisted wires. I fixed that with thread sealer and a few minutes time, but basically the general maintainence of the bass was a hassle.

The good things I can say are the neck was nice and chunky and it looked good. On the other hand, the fret edges were sharp (yes, pet peeve so I rounded them off and my buddy got back a great bass) and the neck was only a four bolt in a not-so-tight neck pocket.

But still not my biggest peeve: it's passive, vol/vol/tone with independent volumes for each coil. Just not cool IMO, the sound is nowhere near a Stingray IMO.

Hope this helps.

7. DEFELDUS

DEFELDUS

Jun 1, 2003
    Orlando, FL
    i have no experience with them but i will say they are some of the best looking cheap basses out there :)