Paul McCartney's Hofners..

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dbt25677, Sep 1, 2014.

1. Dbt25677

Dbt25677 Guest

Jun 9, 2013
    Does anyone have a video of Paul McCartney playing his first Hofnerr bass live?
    paulmacca-hofner.jpg < This one, rather than

Paul,_George_%26_John.png < this one, the one he used most of the time.

maestrovert likes this.
  2. ShoeManiac

ShoeManiac

Jan 19, 2006
    New Jersey
    The promotional film for "Revolution" featured Paul playing the '61 Hofner.

And you can also see it during the first half of the Let It Be film. Paul plays the '61 in those segments at Twickenham film studios. But shortly thereafter that instrument was stolen, and he played the '63 for the remainder of the film along with the rooftop concert.

3. MisterFabulous

MisterFabulous

Feb 4, 2010
    @the Cavern Club

Last edited: Sep 1, 2014
    Ephi82 likes this.
  4. Mike M.

Mike M.

Feb 14, 2010
    Has anyone ever compared the "Cavern" model (as in the first picture above) against the model he's most famous for using? I'd tend to think that with the bridge pickup being closer to the neck pickup on the Cavern model that you'd get a bit more thump to the sound.

Yes? No?

5. FranF

FranF

Jul 25, 2004
    Northeastern PA
    Mid position treble pickup is much more 'middy' and fat. And there are clips of the Cavern out there. Any live footage up until October of '63 will feature it.

6. SteveV74

SteveV74 Inactive

Jul 24, 2012
    He only bought a Hofner because (at the time) he couldnt afford a Fender.....wich is kinda funny because I have never seen him playing a Fender...Rics,Wals but never a Fender.

7. macca.jpg

8. SteveV74

SteveV74 Inactive

Jul 24, 2012
    Well Damn! I cant even think of anything smart to say, lol, looks like Im wrong....I am right about the reason he bought the Hofner, but until today I have never seen him with a Fender.

9. smoove beat me... I knew I saw pics of Paul on a Fender. Did Paul ever play a different Hofner model, I know Stuart Stucliff original played a different model and thought perhaps Paul use it lefty until he could buy one.

Attached Files:

10. mcarp555

mcarp555 Guest

Jul 14, 2013
    Paul did borrow Stu's 500/5 a few times before buying his own (the 500/1), but it would have been only for a very short period back in '61 or so. Stu would not left Paul restring it left-handed, so Paul would have to play it upside down. To my knowledge, there are no photos of Paul playing it.

Maybe you're thinking of John's Club 40 guitar, which Paul was photographed with in Hamburg. That's the only other Hofner I've ever seen Paul holding, besides his various 500/1's.

11. SJLee

SJLee Supporting Member

Nov 7, 2007
    A shot from the Cavern Club last summer. It's too bad this bass isn't cared for better. I don't know if Paul would have played Twenty Flight Rock with this or shot arrows from it. The neck was so bowed the strings were about half an inch off the fretboard.

[​IMG]

12. Mike M.

Mike M.

Feb 14, 2010
    What ever became of Stu's 500/5 bass?

13. Mike M.

Mike M.

Feb 14, 2010
    Never mind, I just looked it up. It was auctioned back in '86 for 9,500 pounds.

14. Ric5

Ric5 Inactive

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I like 5, 8, 10, and 12 string basses
    This is an unusual photo of a modified hofner

936full-paul-mccartney.jpg

15. Ric5

Ric5 Inactive

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    600full-paul-mccartney.jpg

16. WalWarrior

WalWarrior Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2006
    MD suburbs
    I own both basses. A 1961 500/1 Cavern and a 500/1 Beatlebass. The Cavern is a great player but it does not have side fret dot markers so you really have to know that neck. They are extremely rare these days.

17. Ric5

Ric5 Inactive

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    968full-paul-mccartney.jpg

scourgeofgod likes this.
  18. Ric5

Ric5 Inactive

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    600full-paul-mccartney.jpg

19. Tough to see, but here is the cavern:

I know there are other clips out there, and in 65ish Paul broke a string and had to break out the cavern, no video though, only sound. (John said that he broke a string and to wait while he changed basses)

20. mcarp555

mcarp555 Guest

Jul 14, 2013
    This is the original '61 Cavern bass. The pickup surrounds were damaged over time (at one point he was using cellophane tape to hold the pickups in place). The bass was refurbished with an unusual dual surround mount for the pups, and the body was refinished with a Fender-style 3-colour sunburst finish. The work was done by a music store in London around 1965.