PICKS FOR BASS!!!!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Starlightjohn, Jul 20, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Starlightjohn

Starlightjohn Guest

Aug 2, 2016
    Chesterton,IN
    Sorry, I Keep Writing Posts.But I Love Bass And Everything About It.I Was Wondering What Is A Good Size MM.Would Dunlop .88mm Work.Whats Your Guys Opinions(I Also Fingerpick But I Like To Change It Up)

2. Gorn

Gorn Supporting Member

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    That would probably work fine if you're comfortable with it.

Don't be sorry about writing lots of posts as long as you stop capitalizing the first letter of every word.

LG TPAFL, BassKick, Dr Gero and 36 others like this.
  3. Moving Pictures

Moving Pictures Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Canada
    What Gorn said plus try a wide variety to see what works for you. I use the smaller Jazz picks as the give me wider control.

BassmanMetzger56 likes this.
  4. MMiller28

MMiller28 Supporting Member

Apr 27, 2003
    Wisconsin
    I have .88, 1.0, and 1.14mm

1.0 is my preference.

It's like $3 for a pack. Just try different ones.

lermgalieu and smogg like this.
  5. bassbenj

bassbenj

Aug 11, 2009
    I prefer large triangular Fender picks in medium or heavy for bass and also for guitar! I hate tiny guitar picks for anything. But then I'm a kind of "dig in " kind of guy rather that one of those "let the amp do do the work" dudes. And my guitars typically are resonator bottleneck guitars that take a certain force to get the tone. Picks that are too flexible and thin seem to limit my dynamic range and forces me into light touch, low action mode.

6. nixdad

nixdad

Aug 15, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    It also depends on your attack, string choice, type of music you're playing & feel you want to achieve.

I use a wide triangle Tortex 50 mm, but I'm in an acoustic/electric band and play Thomastik flats which are very low tension.

Good luck on your quest!

7. Starlightjohn

Starlightjohn Guest

Aug 2, 2016
    Chesterton,IN
    I have flats and I play 60's Psychedelic and 90's Pop rock

8. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Snaggletooth Inactive

9. NoiseNinja

NoiseNinja Experimental-psychedelic-ambient-noise-drone Inactive

Feb 23, 2011
    Denmark
    Everyone has their own personal preference that fits them and their play and set of strings.

Most prefer quite thick picks >=1mm or so, personally I prefer a slightly more flexible one, the Dunlop USA Nylon 0.73 grey pick.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2017
  10. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    I like good old Fender heavy guitar picks. I used to use the big triangular picks to keep them from dropping out of my fingers, but now I realize a light touch works better,

comatosedragon likes this.
  11. MEKer

MEKer Supporting member

May 30, 2006
    BINGO! We have a winner! My choice for over 35 years. You can do so much with it. The way it can so smoothly slip from string to string without any "lift" is a huge plus.
    my .73mm pick.jpg

12. SunnBass

SunnBass All these blankets saved my life.

Aug 31, 2010
    Columbia, Mo
  13. Rickengeezer

Rickengeezer

Feb 25, 2005
    Central Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Steve Clayton Accessories
    upload_2017-7-20_20-20-55.png

14. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Snaggletooth Inactive

The local pawn shop has these in the 1mm variety for 25 cents/ea.
    They work great for pinch harmonics on guitar, but I still prefer my V-Pick for bass.

15. Basshappi

Basshappi

Feb 12, 2007
    Tucson,AZ
    Dunlop Nylon .73 for me.
    You can by packs containing assortments of picks. Once you find what you like you can give the others away or keep them to revisit after you have been paying pick-style for a while. You may find you like different picks for different applications.

16. Personally I'm a huge fan of these. They aren't very big, but for whatever reason I feel as though I can get much better/more control over the pick than with standard sized picks. They're also rather thick, which for me is a huge plus.

Attached Files:

stephen wright and christle like this.
  17. murmur70

murmur70

May 3, 2017
    Indiana
    I agree on the Tortex 1.14.

18. Impermanence

Impermanence

Jan 8, 2015
    I only feel comfortable with the 3mm Dunlop Big Stubby's. Everything else feels too flimsy in my hand. I play mostly metal, and I feel like the thickness helps with fast playing and a more consistent tone.

Though as others have said, it's a matter of personal preference, so try everything you can and see what feels best in your hands for your playing style. Good luck on the search!

AaronVonRock likes this.
  19. I don't agree with any of this. The best pick is the one I lost two years ago. I don't know what it was, but it wasn't thick, nor was it thin. It just was, then it wasn't.

20. Gizmot

Gizmot Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2009
    Pittsburgh area
    I've used V-Picks for several years and they sound quite a bit better than the typical Fender - Dunlop - Ernie Ball picks. They produce somewhat more low end and the transients are very clean.

A few months ago, I tried Gravity Picks and they were excellent too (another plexiglass pick with minimal flexing).

A few weeks ago, I got a solid copper pick and it sounded fantastic.

So - what I've learned is that the less flex a pick has, the more solid it sounds.

lowfreqgeek and Impermanence like this.