Pickup Orientation

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by PunkerTrav, Dec 12, 2004.

1. PunkerTrav

PunkerTrav Guest

Jul 18, 2001
    Canada & USA
    Just a very quick question. I bought my jazz second hand, and the previous owner had installed some basslines 1/4 pounders. They sound great to my ears, but I noticed that they were installed upside down. The basslines logo, which would usually be at the bottom right hand corner of the pickup, is upside down at the top left. Do the pickups sound different in this orientaion? It doesn't bother me aesthetically, but I would be interested to see if there are tonal differences.

Thanks,
    Travis

2. luknfur

luknfur Guest

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

I haven't had those pups but all the J SD pups I've had had seperate covers - which typically (tho not always) can be reversed in either direction.

At any rate, the direction they're installed won't make any difference in terms of pup tone as there is no bass or treble side to a pup. Though pole directions can sometimes be a factor in wiring schemes with HB's.

6 string guitars have pole pieces of varying sizes to even out volume since the string gauges are so extreme. Therefore you couldn't reverse those. There's no equivalent in the bass world that I know of. Even staggered pole bass pups are evenly staggered so flipping them results in the same.