Pickups for a jazz

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Frugle, Sep 6, 2005.

1. Frugle

Frugle Guest

Sep 4, 2005
    Atlanta GA
    Just a quick question, what sounds good in a jazz? I like the real fat round sound that the jazz is known for.

I've been looking at the custom shop 60's ... would that be good?

also, my bass is left handed... is that a problem?

2. LeftyLB70P

LeftyLB70P

May 4, 2005
    Athens, Ga.
    Greeting fellow lefty :smug:

Ok, I can't tell you from personal experience with these pickups via the Jazz but I do have Bartolini's in my Precision and I love em!!

I would recommend looking into them. There ya have it..... 2 more cents :D

3. Frugle

Frugle Guest

Sep 4, 2005
    Atlanta GA

Thanks! glad to meet someone who is also left handed.. In real life, I know a LOT of musicians, but only 1 other person who plays left handed :hyper:

so putting right handed pickups in a a left handed bass isn't a problem?

4. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm...

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    Don´t think there is such a thing as a left handed pickup.

But please check out the Pickups FAQ here at the top of the forum.
    It has got countless reviews on jazz pickups.

See -> http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=111547

5. Frugle

Frugle Guest

Sep 4, 2005
    Atlanta GA
    actually, oddly enough, when looking for pups for my strat, I found pickups advertised as left handed.. so there has to be a difference of some sort...

thanks for the link!

6. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    You need yourself a set of Nordstrand NJ4SE's. They work just fine on right or left handed basses.

-Mike

7. in most all cases pickups will work equally well on left handed and right handed models...

the pole pieces are generally all the same and the wire is wrapped equally around the entire bobbin, so there's generally no issues here.

8. Frugle

Frugle Guest

Sep 4, 2005
    Atlanta GA
    uh... dang... $225? as much as I want to, I can't really justify spending that much for this bass... I would rather spend 150 more and get like an avalon U5 (ebay) or something...

is there anything in the 100 price range?

9. DiMarzio would be a great choice.

10. I put Fender Vintaqe Noiseless in my MIA Jazz. Excellent clarity and very fat sound.

11. danomite64

danomite64

Nov 16, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    Hey, I'm a lefty too. I have Duncan Quarter Pounders in my 2 Jazzes, and I really like them. They cost just over $100 for a new set. The Custom shop Fneders are just over $100, and the DiMarzio's are just under it. Something tells me the CS Fenders are going to sound most like a traditional Fender, tho.....as for left-handedness, all you have to do is orient your pickups to where the side that has the wires soldered on are closest to the control cavity.

12. Scottie Johnson

Scottie Johnson Guest

Sep 8, 2004
    That is because the stagger of the pole pieces on a strat pickup. Although, that would only change if you do the "Hendrix", where you take a righty and flip it over to play it lefty.

I'm not certain, I am probably talking out my @**.

13. I say Fender Custom Shops would be the best for a fat round sound. Nordstand NJSE and so forth are not TRUE single coil pickups so they wont have that attack character that makes the Jazz basses tone so awesome. Fender Custom Shops have more bass/mids with a nice punch and fatness to them.

I say go with them

14. BassyBill

BassyBill Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    True single coils MAY have a bit more high end than hum-cancelling pickups (but the differences can be subtle). I'm not sure how that relates to a "fat round" sound or the "attack character" of the tone of a bass. IME Nordstrand NJ4SEs as mentioned have attack by the bucketful and can give an amazingly wide range of tones with different blends of neck/bridge pickups.

15. Tom

Tom Guest

Sep 7, 2005
    Davis, CA
    Here are some good threads on the subject of J-style pickups (you can also find them in the stickies at the top of this forum). I was just looking through them myself:

Smash's reviews given BP-style with numerical ratings for different aspects of performance.

The J installment of the Dr. Dimento series.

I don't think the Custom Shop 60's are in there, but many others are.

Grab a beer and get comfy, because there's a lot to read. :cool: