played a gig tonite with an interesting setup

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jasonbraatz, Feb 9, 2002.

1. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz Supporting Member

Oct 18, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    so since both my IOD and my goliath jr are toast right now, and i had a gig tonite, here was my rig:

bass->bellari LA120->DCM1000 (bridged mono)->SWR triad

surprisingly loud (without any distortion or farting of the speaker) and sounded pretty good too, especially with my sterling.

but i really want my IOD back :(

jason

2. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    From my experience watching other bands play the SWR Triad usually ends up muffled in the mix. Its one of those cabs that sound great when you're playing by yourself but can't be heard in the mix. I'm glad you liked the sound though. Carvin power amps are top notch IMO, so no surprise there.

3. Warwick5s -you mean you put 1000 W into your triad or am I just being dumb here?

:confused:

4. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    The Triad is a unique beast, alright. I used mine last night with a Mackie 1400i and Bass Pod Pro; bass was my Roscoe SKB 3007. I was using one channel so I had roughly 480 watts into 4 ohms, a pretty good match for that cab. The bottom is extremely fat and strong but when you get above the crossover frequency and get into 10" and horn territory, the cab really loses definition, IMO. So yeah, I agree about the cutting through the mix thing. Judicious EQ is really the answer to bringing out the best in that cab. I've yet to find the perfect amp...but I'm still looking!

5. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    yeah the triad sounds INCREDIBLE when i've got a 2x10 on top...but not so incredible by itself, i had to turn up the tweeter a decent amount to get something similar to the attack i normally get. i had a bass player friend there though and he said he could hear everything really well. and i was standing RIGHT infront of it, pants flapping the whole nite. (although, this was on a raised wooden stage, so that might have magnified it a little)

and yes, i put 1kW into it, cos i know the triad is pretty inefficient and that the 350w on an individual channel might not have been enough. i'm sure i didn't come anywhere close to "full power."

but this was the first time i've ever used just the triad for anything - and i think that's going to change. if i'm taking only one cab i've been taking my 2x10 most everywhere, and dropping low B's on it alot hurts it more than it helps. this thing should be plenty loud for rehearsals and bigger gigs (big enough that my 2x10 is too small, but that my full rig would be way too big)

now! is there any way to get the casters from the goliath 3 put on it?

jason

6. so since both my IOD and my goliath jr are toast right now, and i had a gig tonite, here was my rig:

what happened to the goliath jr???

7. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    blew a voice coil.

yay.