Question about ads

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by pica, Jan 29, 2014.

1. pica

pica

Nov 26, 2009
    Michigan
    Last week I was on Sears website looking at ratchets and sockets. Then a couple days later I logged in to TB and sure enough on the left hand side was an ad for Sears showing the exact ratchets I was looking at. No way this was a coincidence. I would like to know how the h**l they did that? Has this happened to anybody else?

2. Gorn

Gorn Supporting Member

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    Cookies.

3. knumbskull

knumbskull

Jul 28, 2007
    UK
  4. knumbskull

knumbskull

Jul 28, 2007
    UK
    oh and OP, one of our politicians was caught out for the same reason you describe:

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2013/mar/17/gavin-barwell-date-arab-girls-twitter

...though obviously your version is less embarrassing ;)

5. Nikoubis

Nikoubis

May 3, 2007
    Athens, Greece
  6. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
  7. Milk

Milk Guest

Sep 16, 2013
    Montreal, Canada
    Yeah ive looked around for basses so much in the past 6 months that anywhere i go on the internet now all the ads are about musical instruments, gear and such.

8. There are people that don't use adblocker?

lowsound

9. pica

pica

Nov 26, 2009
    Michigan
    I don't think they have adblocker for IPad.

10. 48thStreetCustom

48thStreetCustom Inactive

Nov 30, 2005
    Colorado
    They're already rolling out technology that does the same thing in the real world. Your cell phone sends GPS info about where you are and then texts you ads

11. It'll be more worrying when actual billboards are directed at you.

"Hey Duuuuuuuuuude, check these local free and single MILFS in your area!"

:bag:

:D

12. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism

I don't mind seeing the ads, plus I find blockers end up giving me issues at some point, same with anti-viruses and firewalls, it is just easier not to go to sketchy websites.

Not lowsound.

13. Bloodhammer

Bloodhammer Twinkle Twinkle Black Star

Jul 7, 2009
    Shreveport, Louisiana
    What's so "easy" about starving oneself of pr0n? That's like a need, man! Sure, there's a pop-up window flashing at me from the bottom right corner of the screen that says "[get to know ;)] single women in your area" that sends me to ten different pages if I try to close it, but I've just gotten used to it being there.

14. knumbskull

knumbskull

Jul 28, 2007
    UK
    well, exactly!

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRaX1_cn6VLUwSNGoGfwUjWX7lAcwXknzR8ZuaNlJwlCKDBMWwQnZXwIRs.jpg

15. :D

16. ZenG

ZenG Guest

Yes ...just this morning......I was reading a local newspaper looking at car ads while eating brekky...

then I go on TB...and there is an ad for a car dealership not too far from me in the left hand column.....

but I haven't logged into a car site on the comp for over a year now.......

strange......:confused:

I have CC cleaner on my comp........and every day I log out I expunge the comp of cookies , history etc etc etc using this "quick clean" program which takes about 5 seconds...