Quick Question

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by 456Spectwick, Jan 10, 2014.

1. 456Spectwick

456Spectwick Guest

Jan 4, 2014
    If I was to play bass (hypothetically speaking) in band that used downtuned 8 string guitars. How would I adjust the setup of my bass to match the guitars?

I almost posted this in the Basses section of the forum. Newbie did good? :bag:

2. 456Spectwick

456Spectwick Guest

Jan 4, 2014
    no, it's cool.

3. Mushroo

Mushroo Guest

Apr 2, 2007
    You would not need to adjust anything on your bass (unless you wanted to).

4. RocktimusBass

RocktimusBass Guest

Jan 4, 2011
    New Albany, IN
    What tuning are they in? How many strings are on your bass?

5. RustyAxe

RustyAxe

Jul 8, 2008
    Connecticut
    All you really need to know are the chords they are playing. You don't NEED to do anything to your bass, you already have all the notes you need ;)

6. ArtechnikA

ArtechnikA I endorsed a check once...

Feb 24, 2013
    SEPA
    This is not a setup question , but rather EQ (and so probably better suited to 'Live Sound'...)

In the inimitable words of Willie Keeler: "Hit 'em where they ain't..."

If the guitars insist on playing down in the traditional bass part of the spectrum, (why?) you'll need to find another place in the mix to be heard. If they want to go tromping over your territory, you'll probably have to stake out a position in their abandoned upper-mids part of the spectrum. This might be a good application for a 6-string or a 5-string tuned EADGC.

If they don't want you to play there, and they refuse to stay out of your place (IOW - they don't want you to be heard...) they are telling you they don't need you. I expect it'll be mutual right after that. Unless there's a ton of money involved, in which case you can pantomime basslines all night long and have a great time...

7. RustyAxe

RustyAxe

Jul 8, 2008
    Connecticut
    Actually, it is ... at least that's what the OP says.