Rickenbacker 4003 or Fender Mod Shop P-Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by TheThopterGod, Jul 23, 2019.

1. 4003

75 vote(s)
    46.6%
  2. P-Bass

86 vote(s)
    53.4%
  1. I voted 4003. Why? because I'd NEVER buy that particular P bass - you can get amazing P basses for a few hundred bucks. The simplest design out there - and it takes much less skill to build a good P bass (it's all in the neck and wood, and one simple pickup - heck even the bridge and tuners can.. arguably should.. be very simple designs).

But a 4003? They just cost a lot of money. So if you're going to spend lots of money - get a 4003. Then pick up a nice used P bass, get it setup properly and possibly frets improved, and you're happy.

Picton and Ian McLaughlin like this.
  2. Lesfunk

Lesfunk Bootlegger guitars : S.I.T. Strings Supporting Member

Apr 5, 2007
    Florida USA
    Get a Ric. But play a few first

3. bobomatic

bobomatic

Jan 15, 2018
    Prog and Punk? Rick all the way. Any style that calls for an aggressive bass sound, they KILL. Not saying in any way that’s all they do well (because that is unquestionably false)... but man are they good at it.

4. aproud1

aproud1 Don't surround yourself with yourself. Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2007
    Cincy, OH
    If you need a P bass sound, get a P Bass. If you need a Rick sound, get a Rick. I've found either tends to work great in any situation personally.

I bought a brand new Mod Shop Precision. It's beautiful and it's also in the shop getting frets touched up soooo... For the color combo you want I'd get a Roadworn P and call it a day.

I love the sound of Ricks but find them uncomfortable to play. YMMV

lizardking837 likes this.
  5. I've owned both, and now play Jazz Basses primarily. What do I think you should get, whichever makes you smile the most. They're both quality basses that will work in most situations. You need to get what makes you happiest, what I think's irrelevant.(but I would take the P)

alaskaleftybass likes this.
  6. I would recommend the Ric. But, play it first. Neck shapes can vary greatly between 2 basses of the same year. It took me a while of searching to find the one that feels right to me.

7. Fresh Eddie

Fresh Eddie

Nov 13, 2008
    New England
    I voted for the one I like better, but you should play both and decide for yourself which suits you best.

8. Haha all my answers have basically been said by others. I'm one of the supposedly rare birds that can seamlessly move from Rick to Precision, and back again, and also find a Rick to be the most comfortable bass I've ever played. Not that a Fender bass is in any way uncomfortable, but the Rick just fits me better

Both basses will be excellent for the styles you intend to play, but then, almost any bass can be made to work with any style. Still, I had to vote, and I voted Rick

Picton and Skillet like this.
  9. Glenn_G

Glenn_G

Jul 23, 2019
    I don't know if the newer Ricks have fixed this but the first thing I did with mine was change the bridge to a P bass style one made by Schecter. The Rick is a fine instrument but I hated the bridge. If I recall you had to take the strings off to adjust it.

10. micguy

micguy

May 17, 2011
    You haven't played some of the stages I've been on. My Ric was pretty quiet, ...until it wasn't. Single coils just don't work well in some places.

11. Sixgunn

Sixgunn

Jun 6, 2012
    Colorado Springs
    I don't wait 30 minutes after eating, to go swimming.
    Stand out. Don't be a face in the crowd! ;)

Hounddog409 likes this.
  12. Hurricane Jimmie

Hurricane Jimmie Supporting Member

So Anyway, first I'd get the Ric.
    Later on I might buy a used P style bass.
    Maybe even a Squier.
    With Flats!

Hounddog409 likes this.
  13. Yup. I’ve owned both, and a Stingray. The 4003 is my only bass, but I am looking for a good cheap Squier or Yamaha P for backup only.

I find the 4003 has lots of tones in it.

Hounddog409 likes this.
  14. Hounddog409

Hounddog409

Oct 27, 2015
    ohio

15. Hounddog409

Hounddog409

Oct 27, 2015
    ohio
    I have a RIC, Jazz, Carvin, and a T-Bird. I don't have any issues putting one down and playing another. It always baffled me why this is an issue.

DJ Bebop, Picton and corndog like this.
  16. TheReceder

TheReceder

Jul 12, 2010
    Seems an easy answer
    [​IMG]
    upload_2019-7-23_13-13-53.jpeg

17. John6

John6

Jul 9, 2019
    Central Ohio
    Play em and pick the one that feels the best.
    I don't care what the name is on a bass, just how it sounds and how it feels.

18. sgtpepper

sgtpepper

Jan 22, 2010
    Mexico City
    Two totally different beasts. What sound do you like? Best way to know is to try them both and pick the one that feels right in your hands. My 2 cents.

19. Gaolee

Gaolee Official leathers tester and crash dummy

4003. If you don't like it, you can always sell it for minimal loss and get a P.

monsterthompson likes this.
  20. pappabass

pappabass Inactive

May 19, 2006
    Alabama !! Roll Tide
    Fender p, Rickenbackers are too ugly.