Rickenbacker String Volume

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by darth by tor, Dec 6, 2005.

1. darth by tor

darth by tor Guest

Nov 9, 2005
    NYC
    Hi all!

Probably an obvious answer to this one but I recently started playing my 4003 Ric again and I noticed that the bottom E is usually loud compared to the rest of the strings, Is this something that a simple set up would cure?

2. specplyrz

specplyrz Inactive

Nov 11, 2005
    I also have a 4003...never noticed the "e" as the loudest...have noticed the "a" being a bit outspoken...check your strings...play with the reccomended guage...extra lights...check your intonation and bridge...then go to the amp and eq it.

3. Petary791

Petary791 Guest

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    You're supposed to play Ricks with extra lights?

4. specplyrz

specplyrz Inactive

Nov 11, 2005

Thats what they come with....

5. Petary791

Petary791 Guest

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Ah ok cool.

When I get my Rick (god knows when,) i'll keep that in mind!

6. I think my DR Sunbeams, in 45/56/85/105 sound better than the factory strings....they were a custom size, not extra lights..

....the G and E are normal, it's the A and D strings that are different... 45/55/75/105 ....the Sunbeams don't have too much tension at all...but many people are perfectly happy using tighter strings on their 4003's(Lowriders), and the thicker strings tend to even out the E strings authority over the A, and D

7. BassyBill

BassyBill Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    I currently have the Rick nickel strings on mine (45, 55, 75, 105) and if anything I'd like to beef the bottom E up just a little. Got a set of Rotosound Swing bass (steel) to try on it next, just as an experiment - cos I'm after a bit more "zing" as well.

8. specplyrz

specplyrz Inactive

Nov 11, 2005
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=bass/search/detail/base_pid/104386/

Super lights stainless and bright!!

9. BassChuck

BassChuck Supporting Member

Nov 15, 2005
    Cincinnati
    I bought a 4001 a few months ago and the G string was really loud, and the E was not. (the sax player in the band raised hell about it)... so I turned the screws on the frame around the bridge pickup and changed the distance between the pickup pole and the string. That did the trick!

BTW I use LaBella Deep Talkin' Bass strings and love them.

Rickenbacker International has a forum on their website that you might look up, there is a lot of good information and advice about Rickenbackers. And John Hall, owner of Rickenbacker even responds to posts.... its a nice forum.

10. anonymous278347457

anonymous278347457 Guest

Feb 12, 2005
    doesnt a compressor level out all the notes? or is that a psycological effect that i get when my g string isnt actually getting any louder? :meh:

11. specplyrz

specplyrz Inactive

Nov 11, 2005
    Please, PLEASE.....stay away from compressors. Adjust your pickup and bridge......compressors LIMIT your dynamics!!

12. 60hz

60hz Guest

Oct 7, 2005
    This is my biggest pet peeve about basses. I've fiddled with pick ups, string heights, bridges, and compressors forever all just to make it so the sound doesn't drop out when I go to the G and D strings. Sometimes the problem lies with the amp and cabinet though.

Don't knock a good compressor. The cheap ones (3630 et al) will sound terrible, but stuff like Fatboy and Distressor are great.