Rig troubleshooting

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by InhumanResource, Jul 17, 2017.

1. InhumanResource

InhumanResource Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2012
    Bucks County, PA
    Seeking input from wiser TBers!

I had an outdoor gig Saturday night and was using my full rig, Ampeg SVT 6PRO and 2 410HE's. Everything was performing beautifully, sounded absolutely great with plenty of volume on tap and sitting great in the stage and FOH mixes, then during a blissful third set I heard a "pop" from the rig and it got...i don't know, perhaps 10% quieter immediately.

I stepped closer to the rig and listened carefully, both during the song and on my own in between tunes, and nothing sounded distressed or distorted though a faint crackling was present which eventually went away. We finished the gig and packed up, and this evening I an going to try and debug to at least see if I can isolate issue to the head or one of the drivers before taking it to a tech.

Does this sound consistent with any other maintenance issues that happen to amps? I use no effects and the amp rubs with the gain set very high and master at about 25% (or 9 o'clock on the dial). I never have any need for higher volume than that.

It sounds like it is tech time but I want to make sure I am bringing in the right component to be serviced.

Thanks!

2. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Inactive

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    I actually LOVE the SVT6. A very underrated head.

Have you changed out tubes in a while? Maybe a preamp tube starting to give in? I had similar sounds coming from my Walkabout head and swapped out V2 and it cleared up. Of course, that was right before I sent it back to the factory for a good cleaning and maintenance. So the tube might have had nothing to do with it.

InhumanResource likes this.
  3. InhumanResource

Dec 28, 2012
    Bucks County, PA
    Thanks, I love this head too. Haven't developed the balls to plunge financially into an all tube model and this thing sounds closest to the real deal for me.

It may well be a preamp tube. I haven't had a rig with lots of preamp tubes like this thing does, so it may be time to service them.

I do know that if I have the master cranked and gain set low, the amp is pretty noisy/crackly, so whatever component is responsible for that may be getting worse?

Will troubleshoot tonight to rule out any speaker related issues, then she's going to have to get in to a tech I think. We have a break the next couple of weeks so hopefully I can slide by without a loaner.

4. two fingers

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Best of luck with it.

Also, I found the tube voltage control on that head to be the secret weapon. Get to know that puppy and you can go from clean modern to fat vintage in an instant.

5. InhumanResource

Dec 28, 2012
    Bucks County, PA
    Hands down my favorite knob! It's usually held at a bit under noon for ample "squish" but occasionally gets cranked when I need more bite.

6. two fingers

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    I tend to play gear for a while and then move on....sort of gear ADD. I rarely look back once I have gone on to something else. That is the one head that I stop and think about when I see one listed. It will probably make its way back into the stable at some point. Highly underrated SVT in my view. And I have owned all but the 4 and 7....and those odd all solid state ones. I used the 4 as a provided backline head at a lot of shows. Short of the old school real deal 300W tube version, the 6 is by far my favorite. I hope you get yours figured out.