Saving external synth patches on VB-99?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by ebass4life, May 19, 2011.

1. ebass4life

ebass4life Guest

Mar 30, 2011
    I have been noodling with the bass to midi on my VB-99 for a few months now. From looking through these forums it looks like it's not a very popular thing to do. So I will be shocked if anyone can help. But this forum has pleasantly surprised me a few times. SO...

I am playing a Roland JV-1010 synth module with my Vb-99. I am getting results I'm very pleased with. I have the mode set to mono cause i want to play different patches on the synth module on each string. I have multiple voices on most patches in the synth module. Everything is working just the way I'd hoped. The problem is every time I press "write", I loose all but the first voice on a patch in the synth module. I check the MSB, LSB, and PC. Everything is still set correctly. If I turn the PC up one then back down to where it belongs, all my voices are back. But every time I try to save it, I loose all but one voice.

I've been putting a lot of hours into this trying to make it gig worthy. This is the only obstacle I have left. If anyone has any ideas, I'd love to hear them.

Thanks.

2. fokof

fokof One day ,I'll be in the future

Mar 16, 2007
    Here
    Everytime you press write on the VB99 or on the synth ?

3. ebass4life

ebass4life Guest

Mar 30, 2011
    Every time I press write on the VB-99.

I have no problem saving the patches on the synth. But I'd like the synth patches to change with the VB-99 patches. The synth patches do change when I change the VB-99 patches. But only 1 voice. The rest disappear.

4. fokof

Mar 16, 2007
    Here
    You don't have to press Write everytime on the VB99.
    Once your patch is setup right , just recall it.
    When you recall your patch , is it OK ?

You can do your Program changes in either "system" or "Patch"
    And in Mono Mode , there is program change on each strings , page 3-4-5
    ( I would check that route for your problem)

Personaly , I found that it is more practical to do the patch change in "Patch" mode ,
    -Name Key BPM / TX PC / set up there

How have you set up your program change ?

5. fokof

Mar 16, 2007
    Here
    So ?

6. ebass4life

ebass4life Guest

Mar 30, 2011
    Sorry for the delay. I gig on the weekends (gear is all packed in band truck) and do my noodeling during the week. So I only got to sit down with it today.

Anyway, First I tried not pressing write. I changed patches, changed back, and it's the same thing. I lose all but one voice on the module.

I'm a little unclear with the other advice you gave. I go into bass to midi. Then Patch. Set it to mono. Scroll to pages 3-5 and set the MSB, LSB, and PC. Everything works just the way I want it to until I change patches on the VB-99.

The part I'm unclear about is going into Name/Key/BPM. I go into TX/PC and I see the MSB, LSB, and PC. But isn't that what I already set in Bass to Midi?

Thanks.

7. fokof

Mar 16, 2007
    Here
    I've never tried to run it in Mono to drive one sound per strings.

I'll come back with some test results.

But I'm pretty sure that the Pitch to midi is interupted like the USB when patch are changed. :(

8. fokof

Mar 16, 2007
    Here
    The behaviour I have is that they are all there but they are re-triggered when I switch the patch on the VB99.
    If I play softly , they are not re-triggered.

It may be your synth that cuts because he receives a program change ?

I tried with USB MIDI on CPU soft synth.

9. fokof

Mar 16, 2007
    Here
    Just a little heads up while I think of it , maybe .....

Also remember that in "bass to MIDI" / "patch" , all these parameter are saved in each patch , the play feel , chromatic , mono vs poly , etc.....
    So maybe one of your patch is in Poly instead of Mono. ????

10. ebass4life

ebass4life Guest

Mar 30, 2011
    Thanks for all the input. Your comment about the synth possibly receiving a control change got me thinking. I do so much noodeling on this thing. I even turn knobs I don't know what they do just trying to learn what they do. So I was thinking I did something for it not to work right.

I couldn't figure out what it could be. So I wrote down all the settings to the patches I use. I then did a factory reset. After I set everything back up, all my problems are solved. I never figured out what I must have done. But everything is working properly now. Thanks for your help.