1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

setup problems on a tension free neck

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by SRSiegel, Jan 12, 2002.

1. SRSiegel

SRSiegel Guest

Sep 17, 2001
    Ann Arbor, Michigan
    ive recently acquired a used ibanez usa atk 5 string. the action is just too damn high for slapping and popping. heres the problem... the bass has the bunker tension free neck on it. meaning this thing doesnt have a truss rod. instead it has a 3/8" steel bar going through the neck, and is connected to a brass nut that divides the neck from the headstock. anyway, heres my problem. i put new strings on it, and they are heavier. (DAddario XL's, .050 G string to a .135 B string) and the neck has an insane relief now. theres an adjustment screw at the back of the heel, but i cant seem to get it any flatter than it already is... only more relief. because of this the bass needs a high action in order not to buzz like crazy on the upper frets (19-21). would replacing the strings with a much lighter gauge remedy this problem? like super soft XLs with a.040 G string and a .125 B? would this make the strings really "floppy" though?

[​IMG]

2. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    Yes, but not enough.
    Since you have a bolt-on,,,OK, I would consider a new neck.:mad:

3. SRSiegel

SRSiegel Guest

Sep 17, 2001
    Ann Arbor, Michigan
    that is not what i wanted to hear:mad:

but thanks.

any reccomendations for the ATK?

4. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Wow - that picture is a real horror story - if I saw a neck like that, I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole - even if it had a truss rod! Sorry I can't help - but that picture should be kept and used as an example of how not to set up your bass!! ;)

5. SRSiegel

SRSiegel Guest

Sep 17, 2001
    Ann Arbor, Michigan
    yeah i know its pretty bad. i just put some lighter strings on it... and its better now... but still not where i want it. id say probably about a 50% improvement. i wrote to bunker guitars (the authority on the tension free neck that they poineered) and i was told to take the steel rod out of the neck and give it a back bend of about 1/8" it seems like its a sound idea, though i dont like the thought of manhandling the neck back into position.

DOES ANYONE HAVE EXPERIENCE WITH A TENSION FREE NECK???

if so PLEASE give me your insight. i am very frustrated.

6. SRSiegel

SRSiegel Guest

Sep 17, 2001
    Ann Arbor, Michigan
    ok so i wrote to dave bunker, and he was very nice and wrote me back. he said that he could make it play like new by giving it a setup... and he wants $125 :eek: plus shipping both ways.... doesnt that seem a little...... high?? :confused:

7. :eek: ouch.
    looks like those Bunker/Treker/PBC tension-free necks don't live up to their manufacturers' claims of perfect action for ever......

thanks for that pic- I'm not so keen on finding out more about getting a tension-free replacement neck now.....

8. tyrel_blackbass

tyrel_blackbass

Dec 17, 2008
    I know this post is kinda old, but I say give Dave a call back. He fixed mine for free. All I paid was shipping. I absolutely love my tension free bass neck.

9. therex

therex

Jun 24, 2007
    lima
    i dont see the pic!

10. JLS

JLS

Sep 12, 2008
    Emeryville, Ca
    I setup & repair guitars & basses
    Worry not, it's done all the time with recalcitrant necks. Clamping a backbow into a neck that has run out of trussrod can usually get it into playability, though as I've said, I don't care for the sound of an overly-torqued instrument.

What you're describing, problems at the body end of the neck, is another can of worms. And, frankly, this sounds like an effective hype-buster for whatever claims the neck's manufacturer has made.

What about the lifetime warranty on these necks, as per the Bunker website?