Shopping for Bass in Boston MA

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dradder, Dec 20, 2013.

1. Dradder

Dradder

Feb 7, 2013
    Reno, Nevada
    Any info or opinions about good places to shop for a bass guitar in Boston MA or reasonably nearby? Reason I ask is that I might be flying in for a brief event, and taking the opportunity to pick up another instrument to bring back with me to Ecuador. I looked at the website for the GC store in Boston, didn't see much of interest. Thanks!

2. TonyP-

TonyP- Excuse me but you have your I-IV-V in my II-V-I Gold Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2003
    Boston Mass
    A-Designs Mike Lull GK Tsunami Cables GHS Strings RMI Basswitch Nordstrand Pickups Darkglass
    Check your PMs

3. smcd

smcd

Jun 28, 2009
    Boston, MA
    These are the stores I'd hit:

1. Mouradian Guitar in Winchester MA. This shop is 15 minutes north of Boston by car. Without question, the best place for price and selection in Boston.

2. Mike's Monster Guitar. On Mass Ave in Cambridge, between Harvard and MIT. Mike likes oddball stuff, so you'll find a lot of quirky gear on the walls. But the prices are reasonable, and it's a fun place to visit. A friend of mine picked up a late 60's Precision there for $1,500 not long ago.

3. Mr. Music in Allston. Prices are on the high side, and selection is up and down. One of the few shops that have been able to survive competing with GC.

PaperbackRyder likes this.
  4. jelly6466

jelly6466

Sep 28, 2010
    Mass.

5. Thought I'd resurrect this thread rather than start a new one. Was at Mouradian yesterday, and they have an amazing bass wall right now. A CS-74, several Rics (I think 4003,4, maybe a 4001 or two, I didn't take them down and can't spot the difference between a painted 4001 and 4003 15 feet away). Several G&Ls - I recall an ASAT and a JB2 among others. Multiple Guild Pilots, including the only Guild Pilot Advanced I've ever seen. Block inlays and Bartolini pickups. I think they wanted $500 for it, the last one on TB sold for $800 in 2012. And you KNOW they will all have flawless setups. A bunch of guitars too, but who can tell one of those from another? Except the white LS-74, that one stood out. On the one hand I wish they weren't 2 hours away. On the other hand, I'd have 36 basses by now if they were closer.

6. Gully Foyle

Gully Foyle

Sep 28, 2014
    Near Boston
    Jim Mouradian is a god among men tech, luthiery and music shop -wise.

jimfist and TonyP- like this.
  7. TonyP-

Aug 21, 2003
    Boston Mass
    A-Designs Mike Lull GK Tsunami Cables GHS Strings RMI Basswitch Nordstrand Pickups Darkglass
    Both Jim and Booph are the great people and Luithiers.
    Booph does all my work.

8. rockscott

rockscott

Aug 28, 2010
    massachusetts
    Crossroads in Hanover ma. South shore music in Weymouth ma.

9. Smooth_bass88

Smooth_bass88 vaxx!

Oct 31, 2006
    Western Hemisphere
    Boston's craigslist is really good too

10. Tunaman

Tunaman

Dec 26, 2004
    Boston
    I'm really close to Mouradian, they do great work. Last time I priced out a setup it was super expensive so i passed. They do great work though

I shop at Performance Music in Woburn more.

jimfist likes this.
  11. birdman14

birdman14

Feb 7, 2011
    Boston
    I haven't had a chance to go uP to mouradian yet, but I can vouch for Mr Music. I haven't bought anything from them, and they have mostly fenders, but all the staff are super nice and love to talk gear

12. Gully Foyle

Gully Foyle

Sep 28, 2014
    Near Boston
    Mouradian is not cheap on the tech/luthiery stuff - but i think it is worth every penny. I tried them about a decade back, when still in cambridge, and as soon as i got the first piece of work done i knew no-one else was going to touch my stuff.

But, for buying instruments - amazing stuff, perfectly set up, at very reasonable prices.

I want to like Mr. Music - but the selection is just too limited

13. backin82

backin82 Jack of a Few Trades

Sep 9, 2009
    Oklahoma City, OK
    I'm visiting Boston from OKC this week and am planning to stop by South Shore Music today. I'm excited to actually see and try the GK Fusion series and Aggie Tonehammer today!!!

14. Tunaman

Tunaman

Dec 26, 2004
    Boston
    Performance music in Woburn MA would. About 20 min north of the city.

15. Gully Foyle

Gully Foyle

Sep 28, 2014
    Near Boston
    Its been said in this thread i think - but if you have time, check out Mouradian Guitar in Winchester. Jim is a legend, and his shop is full of amazing basses and amps (and, to be fair, guitars). he is one of the finest techs/luthiers tobe found anywhere, all the gear is set up perfectly.

Hell, he built Squire's 80's bass

This is a stop not to be missed, and he is an amazing guy to chat with

TonyP- likes this.
  16. Tunaman

Tunaman

Dec 26, 2004
    Boston
    Not far from Performance music actually, 2 best shops in the area probably 10 minutes away. I was at Mouradian last week, they have a bunch of good used stuff in inventory right now. They took in my bass for fret sprouting & turned it over in a hour but more intense jobs are WAY backed up right now from what I could gather.

17. Gully Foyle

Gully Foyle

Sep 28, 2014
    Near Boston
    Jim is in high demand - i just dropped a box of parts for assembly, but i had an appointment (made a month and a half ago!)

I noted a few very nicely priced Guild Pilots on his wall, a underrated bass that has received some love on TB recently...

18. TonyP-

Aug 21, 2003
    Boston Mass
    Please don't bother those guys in Winchester...They have way to much work to do and I would like to have my basses

John Swartz, Tunaman and Gully Foyle like this.
  19. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    The downtown Boston GC sucks, too many wannabee's giving terrible service. The Braintree GC (about 15-20 mins. outside Boston) is much better. Mr. Music in Allston is great for vintage instruments, though pricey as others have said. They were Strat-heavy last time I went there, not a huge selection of basses. Considering how many musicians are around in Boston, it's actually pretty slim pickings. I remember shopping for my Ric bass in 1979 and hitting 5-6 great stores including E.U. Wurlitzer, Daddy's Junky Music, and several other Mom & Pop stores, all long gone since GC came to town. Unfortunately, GC in Braintree is probably your best option unless you want to scrounge around in pawn shops.