Sire Bass Club!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dinodino, Mar 31, 2015.

What color/wood combination do you own?

Poll closed Jan 4, 2020.
  1. Bright Metallic Red/ Ash

17 vote(s)
    1.6%
  2. Bright Metallic Red/ Alder

33 vote(s)
    3.2%
  3. Natural/ Ash

173 vote(s)
    16.7%
  4. Sunburst/ Ash

104 vote(s)
    10.0%
  5. Sunburst/ Alder

165 vote(s)
    15.9%
  6. White/ Ash

86 vote(s)
    8.3%
  7. White/ Alder

122 vote(s)
    11.7%
  8. Black/ Alder

104 vote(s)
    10.0%
  9. M3

28 vote(s)
    2.7%
  10. M7

85 vote(s)
    8.2%
  11. I'm a heretic - I don't own one yet, but I'll see the light soon enough!

243 vote(s)
    23.4%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. TheBass

TheBass

Jul 2, 2004
    Germany
    If a company just copies another company so obviously without offering anything new or even reaching the quality of the original I don't feel any desire to buy their products, not even at a lower price.

Rod Barchetta and mb94952 like this.
  2. DrummerwStrings

DrummerwStrings

Mar 27, 2015
    Philly
    None
    Dame is the parent company of Sire.

3. TheBass

TheBass

Jul 2, 2004
    Germany
    That clarifies the copyright situation but it doesn't make their products any better.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2022
    Rod Barchetta likes this.
  4. DrummerwStrings

DrummerwStrings

Mar 27, 2015
    Philly
    None
    I’ve read & heard Marcus Miller interviews where his says he was approached with the company’s goals & prototype(s) guitars for his feedback. He said the largest contribution he made to the guitars was on the preamp.

Even the less original Sire M series has the Marcus Miller influenced preamp, but I’m not sure what other changes Marcus Miller suggested, & I haven’t seen a Dame - Sire bass comparison. I do think it’s fair to say the Sire preamp is value added.

Do you think Sires are inferior copies?

OldShark likes this.
  5. Great video. I bought my V7 from mark at Chicago Music Exchange, and I know Jauqo III-X for many years.

Rod Barchetta, Jv-d, mb94952 and 3 others like this.
  6. timmus

timmus Just a Stranger Passing Through Supporting Member

Marcus seems really chill...a regular approachable kind of guy.

7. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    Your entire argument is invalid. Sire basses are of excellent quality.

May I kindly suggest you find some other thread to crap in? Thamks!
    :poop:
    :woot:

8. Warfrat73

Warfrat73

Nov 18, 2007
    Syracuse
    As I read it, he was saying that the "Dame" branded basses weren't that great, not the "Sire" branded ones, regardless of their affiliation.

TheBass, Glazenn, OldShark and 2 others like this.
  9. bholder

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Don't care, he's equally wrong either way. Sire haters aren't welcome here, that should be pretty obvious.

Jv-d and mb94952 like this.
  10. mb94952

mb94952 Endorsing Artist : SFARZO STRINGS Inactive Supporting Member

My friend Morgan worked at a restaurant in Sonoma. Marcus and his wife came in and Morgan said they were so giving of their time and knowledge. Marcus went back to the same restaurant the next night just to have Morgan be their server, again.

EDIT : Did I have to say Morgan is a bass player ? :)

Last edited: Jun 25, 2022
  11. TheBass

TheBass

Jul 2, 2004
    Germany
    I'm sorry but You're totally wrong.

I like the Sire basses, I still own a V10 and had a V7 for more than 4 years.

Please read more carefully before blaming other people.

12. OldShark

OldShark

Apr 18, 2021
    Germany
    Well, before blaming Dame instruments — is anyone here who has played one of those? I would assume they are the "original" instruments by Kyle Kim for the local South Korean market before he took Marcus Miller's help to improve them and sell those improved instruments globally under the Sire Marcus Miller label. So Dame instruments should be seen as (possibly cheaper) originals...

Last edited: Jun 25, 2022
    Rod Barchetta, mb94952 and bholder like this.
  13. bholder

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    OK, peace, sorry I overreacted - I'm a little thin skinned on the point, used to be several years ago, we had quite a vocal anti-Sire crowd here who loved trolling and pooping in the Sire threads. They're mostly gone quiet now. Anyway, sorry I misunderstood.

14. Jv-d

Jv-d

Feb 28, 2021
    W.Rut.Vermont
    Bholder---
    What were their issues with the (our) basses, years ago?
    Were they carping to carp, or were there some substance in their griping???
    Just wondering...

Rod Barchetta likes this.
  15. bholder

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    I'm referring the the old "If it's not made by Fender in the USA then it's crap" crowd. They used to be pretty vocal. The quality and bang for buck didn't matter to them, they just refused to accept anything foreign made. I'm glad they've mostly gone away or shut up by now. Sire is here to stay. ("SanDiegoHarry" was one of their ringleaders, but he's gone inactive long since, thankfully.)

Last edited: Jun 26, 2022
    Jv-d, mb94952, Greg Pruitt and 2 others like this.
  16. @Jv-d If you haven’t already, take a moment and watch the Kyle Kim video linked in a post above. He addresses early quality issues. If I may summarize, there were manufacturing plants in China and Indonesia with product inconsistency coming from the plant in China. Ultimately all manufacturing was moved to Indonesia (at the time of the video interview). This could explain why some Sire owners had heavy basses with suspect quality hardware and others didn’t. My 1st generation V7 4 string in natural ash looks and feels like a high quality instrument. The weight slightly more than 9 pounds, similar to my Fender P Bass, and the tuning machines still feel and work fine after 4 years. When I read about other’s issues with their Sire basses mine did not match the problem areas mentioned.

mb94952, Jv-d, EricTheFish and 2 others like this.
  17. Jv-d

Jv-d

Feb 28, 2021
    W.Rut.Vermont
    Am going to watch that clip, i believe i caught it a couple of months ago... Maybe someone posted it here, or UT had it in its suggestions, maybe when i was researching Sire before i bought mine, but i remember him sitting down with the three guys...
    He had a pretty good grasp of English, and expressed his desire to build quality w/out the ridiculous cost...
    He impressed me... I liked who he was as a man, espessially being a bass player... I know a little about the (S) Korean culture -- a sibling in law is married to a very astute Korean woman, and i worked with a great guy on a senate campaign...

The (S) Koreans do not do tbings half baked, they are culturaly driven to perfection -- driven and perfection being key words... So, i heard that drive and quest for quality/perfection in Kyle, tbough he was low key, which impressed me too...

I think we all are recipients of, and appreciate his vision... I know i look at my M5 and say to myself, what a great looking bass it is. That, in itsself, makes me want to play it... then i do and love the feel n sound...

I switch back n forth with my Dean Brian Bromberg B2, also asthetically pleasing to look at... They are very different instruments, which gives me a lot of choice... The Dean has both piezo and magnetic PUs, and a great preamp... so combined with (our) the Sire preamp, i have a plethora of options at my fingertips, with my two main basses... A real tough choice, to decide which one to pick up n play -- (i have them both in stands at the ready)...

So, i feel very comfortable with my Sire, knowing that behind the instrument is a guy like Kyle Kim... I think many of us feel that way... Not a perfect instrument, BUT, pretty damn good, especially at the price point-- as has been mentioned, boutique appointments at production prices...

I still wonder what the gripes of the haters are/were... I know Lobster has done mods on issues that he has had, but he still really likes the brand, and thinks Sire gives a high level of quality -- again, at a great price point...

I wonder if the haters: 1 -- are just wrapped up in 1st world problems and 2 -- dont look at the price tag... Were not paying $2000... We're paying less than a grand, and, if we so desire, can mod, and still come out ahead!

A few days ago, i asked (posted) someone, what were the gripes that were posted years ago, because i was interested in their perspective... I read customer comments on Amazon, and am quite amazed at how spoiled we are, collectively, because we have/had(?) it so good here...

I really have to say that, especially because of Kyle Kim, i am proud to own a Sire... I also look forward to buying another down the road, as he continues to improve the brand and offer more great instruments and highly competitive prices...
    Enough said!

Last edited: Jun 26, 2022
    One Way, timmus, OldShark and 3 others like this.
  18. If I recall, people once (and maybe still) pooped on Squire bass guitars? IMO, my Sire V7 is a superior product to any Squire I have played as of late. Squire is a Fender product, but cannot hold a candle to my V7's build quality or tone. But, that's me.

19. Well "F"ing said, brother!

Jv-d, Rod Barchetta, One Way and 2 others like this.
  20. aero58

aero58 Supporting Member

Mar 16, 2021
    USA
    2 questions for anyone who owns a U5 short scale: Anybody using flats on it? And does anyone think there is a pro/con to stringing it thru the body or bridge? I've got one en route - it'll be my first short scale bass.

(BTW, I do already own a Sire bass - a V5)