snoring

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Yvon, Sep 5, 2004.

1. Yvon

Yvon

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    Any of you snore a lot?
    What are you doing about it?
    My wife can't sleep!!

I don't know what to do anymore...

2. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    Bonjour Yvon

Couple of remedies:

1. Sleep on your side, not on your back.

2. Drop some weight

3. See your doctor

Bon chance. Salut la visite.

bmc

3. Coutts_is_god

Coutts_is_god Guest

Dec 29, 2003
    Windsor, Ont, Canada
    place a ball in the middle of your back and lie on it. I guess it helps.

4. jobu3

jobu3 ¿Huevos?!

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    Get to the doctor if it is real bad... He may prescribe for you go to a sleep clinic to rule out sleep apnea. A deviated septum may also be to blame and can be cured with surgery.

Other than that:
    -Lose weight
    -Quit smoking
    -Decrease alcohol intake
    -Breathe right strips
    -Try the tennis ball duct-taped to the back of a shirt to promote sleeping on your side

If they don't work:
    -Ear plugs
    -Separate bedrooms

5. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    I did the sleep study to rule out apnea. I had a mild form of it, not bad enough to treat with a CPAP.

I was told to lose some weight. I did, and the snoring is WAY better now. You may also want to ask your doctor about certain meds used for depression, they help with getting you into a deep sleep, which is what problem snorers are unable to do. One med I am aware of for this is Celexa.

Other than that, I suggest you score a large box of ear plugs for the wife. My wife used them for a while.

-Mike

6. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    My poor wife has to put up with this....

FWIW, I'm 6' and weigh 160, excercise regularly, sleep on my stomach (go figure!), and haven't smoked in over a decade.....

I sleep great, tho :D

7. My dad has sleep apnea(sp) which causes him to snore LOUDLY. He can often be heard several rooms over, which is pretty damn loud. I can even hear him from my room sometimes, which is across the house and one floor up! He went to the doc and got some sort of oxygen mask thingy, which makes it better.

8. jobu3

jobu3 ¿Huevos?!

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    Sleep apnea is more than just snoring loudly. It's where you actually stop breathing for brief periods of time. It makes your sleep unrestful. Even after a night's sleep a person with SA is never really rested or rejuvenated. THey tend to fall asleep during the day, etc. And that oxygen mask-thingy is most likely a CPAP which forces oxygen into his nose so he continues to breathe while he's sleeping.

9. Stinsok

Stinsok

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    I had to go to the sleep clinic. I was told I quit breathing about 80 times an hour. I have to use a CPAP machine (set to 14) I feel better and the wife can sleep now, but it absolutely sucks! Sleeping with that freakin' mask is bloody awful! I slept on my stomach all my life and cannot do it now. If you can avoid the machine, do whatever it takes. BTW, my CPAP machine costs about 1500.00.

10. ApeIsHigh81

ApeIsHigh81 Guest

Aug 24, 2004
    CA
    The athlete nose running thing......forgot the name of it. That little strip that you put over your nose bridge and raises your nostrils on both sides.

11. KeithPas

KeithPas

May 16, 2000
    Poulsbo,Wa
    I have to use the CPAP machine for my sleep apnea. I hate wearing that bloody mask but I hate not wearing that bloody mask even more now that I am used to it. I was snoring so loud that I was shakin the windows. Now I sleep good. :oops:

12. yoshi

yoshi

Jul 12, 2002
    England, London
    I remember my GrandMothers husband (step grandfather?) used to snore a lot so she bought him what was effectivly a watch with a volume-sensative electric shock probe on it - every time it 'hears' snoring (or any other noise, really), it pumped you with a couple of volts.

I think it's aim was to wake you and thus stop snoring as opposed to magically stopping the snoring via a small shock.

This was about 7 or 8 years ago so I don't know if they're still available (then again who'd want one? :p ).

13. It gets even more serious than that. For pronounced apnea sufferers, it means decreased oxygen transfer, and that can, under certain circumstances, be a contributing cause to death during sleep. And don't get too carried away about losing weight to control apnea. That's true - lose weight and apnea will decrease BUT...the most recent studies have shown a pronounced link between apnea and weight GAIN. Apnea can actually contribute to obesity. So it's a two edged sword - decrease apnea/lose weight then as the weight drops, you decrease the apnea.

I had 2 nights of sleep study for my apnea. The study showed that between the hours of midnight and 5 am (my study period) I actually stopped breathing over 400 times with the longest being about 20 seconds occuring every 20 minutes or so. My oxygen transfer dropped from 94% awake to 72% during sleep. The final solution was a CPAP (Constant Positive Airway Pressure) and the condition was nearly eliminated.

The only real problem now is paying for a CPAP machine. My insurance wouldn't cover it 100% so I got to pay over $600 a year to use one until my deductable was covered. That stopped me from using the CPAP until I can purchase my own.

Stinsok - there is a new device out there that doesn't fit on your head. It's a pair of nostril pillows supported on a frame held in your mouth with a fitted bite guard. No contact with the face other than just under the nose. They aren't expensive ($160).

14. ApeIsHigh81

ApeIsHigh81 Guest

Aug 24, 2004
    CA
    I remember now, breathe right strips

15. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    As evidenced by this post, earlier:

16. Yvon

Yvon

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    Like Pacman i snore on every position, on my back, on my sides, on my stomach...

My wife already use the hearplugs, but since she already need to wear them at work, she would like a break!

I tried those breath right things, it's better with them but it's good enough... I use them anyway until I find something else.

I lost 30 lbs so far, and it's worst since then!!! :D

I will try to loose some more weight, it's good for me anyway :)

Thanks all for your sugestions