So I bought a USA Geddy Lee Jazz Bass today...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Planespotter, Apr 2, 2016.

1. Planespotter

Planespotter

Oct 11, 2015
    Seattle
    image.jpeg image.jpeg And it's awesome. I was not really looking to spend this kind of money. I was at the local music store a couple days ago getting a case for my new-to-me fretless peavey when I saw the Geddy hanging high up on the wall and it kind of got the gears turning. Long story short, I tried it, and had to have it. I've been semi-gassing for a Jazz for several years and the USA Geddy just had the right feature set for me to pull the trigger. I love the chunkier neck profile and the pickups sound amazing. I'm very happy with it. Also, this is the first instrument I've bought brand new since 2000 haha. Anyway, here's a few pics.

2. Oren Hudson

Oren Hudson

Dec 25, 2007
    Gastonia, NC
    You did Geddy good. Always like black and maple.

Planespotter likes this.
  3. ubnomnar

ubnomnar Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2009
    So Cal
    Congrats... A U.S.A. Geddy Lee is HIGH on my GAS list. I just need to live vicariously through others until the time is right :cool:

fender68 and Planespotter like this.
  4. organworthyplayer337

organworthyplayer337 Professional Hack

Oct 28, 2014
    Charlotte, NC
    Gorgeous! Congrats, wishing you two many happy years together.

Planespotter likes this.
  5. Planespotter

Planespotter

Oct 11, 2015
    Seattle
    I was a little concerned that with already having a black/maple Precision and Stingray this would be a little much, but it is a combo that I love too. Although I might swap the mother of toilet seat pickguard for an aged white one. I've never been fond of the pearloid pickguards, but it might grow on me. I love everything else about this bass. Even the case is awesome haha.

6. Oren Hudson

Oren Hudson

Dec 25, 2007
    Gastonia, NC
    I'm a bit like that too. Some white pearl PG's look good on some guitars, some don't. The aged white that you mention would be a hit. I also like red tort or gold anodized with the black/maple.

7. Planespotter

Planespotter

Oct 11, 2015
    Seattle
    So later today I have to go get some diapers and formula from a store that is inches from a guitar center. Does the USA Geddy have the same 10 hole modern Jazz Bass pickguard or is it something funky? I really don't want to take it with me running dozens of errands because I'd be really bummed if it got stolen. (My trunk isn't big enough to hide a bass out of sight).

8. DigitalMan

DigitalMan Bring Back Edit/Delete

Nov 30, 2011
    Bay Area, CA
    We are not going to enable you. Learn to love the pickguard it came with.

9. Planespotter

Planespotter

Oct 11, 2015
    Seattle
    Of course GC only had the tort guards. I might have tried one, but $45 is a bit steep for an option I'm not wild about (I just wanted 3 ply white). I think I'm going to learn to love the pearloid and save the $$$.

Ballin'bass likes this.
  10. Maple fingerboard with pearl blocks..gotta be the best looking fender neck combo. Nice bass

dtyndall and Planespotter like this.
  11. JMarsh

JMarsh

May 22, 2007
    Sierra foothills
    F*** that. I put a standard white one on mine and never looked back. Fits just fine.

My main axe for the current band. Love everything about it.

Planespotter and StayLow like this.
  12. StayLow

StayLow

Mar 14, 2008
    Paint it. Inexpensive, easy fix.

Planespotter likes this.
  13. dju

dju

Jan 15, 2014
    Texas
    check ebay, I bought a jazz pickguard for my MIM Geddy for $15 shipped and it fit perfect. it wasn't a Fender made pickguard but it worked and looks good :)

14. JMarsh

JMarsh

May 22, 2007
    Sierra foothills
    Cool. And if you're set on getting an actual Fender-made white/black/white one, they're about $37 on Amazon.

Planespotter likes this.
  15. Planespotter

Planespotter

Oct 11, 2015
    Seattle
    It's too bad because I had a 3 ply white pickguard that came off my '97 American Standard Jazz that I sold like 10 years ago. It's almost guaranteed to show up in a junk drawer seconds after I fork over the money for a new one.

16. SteveC

SteveC Gold Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2004
    NE ND
    I like it the way it is. Love the pearl guard, and I love the pearl inlays on a maple board. Subtle.

2cooltoolz and Planespotter like this.
  17. Planespotter

Planespotter

Oct 11, 2015
    Seattle
    Thanks, the pearloid pickguard is growing on me. Also the bass got its first dent last night so it's officially mine haha.

18. I've been wanting to check these out and see how they feel and sound different from the CIJ models. Definitely looks gorgeous. :)

19. Planespotter

Planespotter

Oct 11, 2015
    Seattle
    I think the neck is the biggest difference. It's quite a bit thicker than the current American standard J basses which are thicker still than the mij Geddys I've played. It also has some pretty big frets too. The pickups are different too, although all Geddys have pretty aggressive sounding pickups.

20. I had a couple of the sunburst Geddys and they both had thicker necks than the older black ones I tried. So it's fatter than a MIA Standard? I'm surprised.