So who's owned or owns a Lotus Bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Sijjvra, Apr 30, 2009.

1. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Thanks!

2. cornfarmer

cornfarmer jam econo

May 14, 2002
    Giving the Lotus brotherhood the first crack........I am probably going to get rid of this guy, as I've got too many basses right now, and lately this just sits at work in it's case. I'm not going to ask for much as it's not perfect by any means, so PM me.

The tuners were changed and the finish got chipped a little around the tuner holes during this. The pickup was upgraded to a DiMarzio from the same era (had a Pat. Pending sticker on them) - which was a definite improvement over the stock pickup (I might have that lying around somewhere if you want it too), so it sounds great. I had it setup last year and the saddles are set as low as possible, with the action actually around something like medium low, which is perfectly comfortable. Frets look good. The tone speed knob has a crack in it but it's stable. Comes with a decent case. It's GREEN!

IMG_20151110_093537230.jpg

IMG_20151110_093603569.jpg

Squittolo likes this.
  3. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    What are you asking for it?

4. cornfarmer

cornfarmer jam econo

May 14, 2002
    ^ PM'd you.

5. MobileHolmes

MobileHolmes I used to be BassoP

Nov 4, 2006
    Iowa
    A friend of mine learned to play guitar on a lotus les paul. It was hands down the worst instrument I've played

Skammie likes this.
  6. cornfarmer

cornfarmer jam econo

May 14, 2002
    ^ thanks for that nugget of wisdom, pal.

7. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Okay, I could not resist. My old red Lotus has a buddy! Interestingly, both basses weigh in at exactly 8.6 lbs. They are, expectedly, very similar, but I was interested to find that one has a significant volute, and the other does not.

IMG_7259_zps3kxvbgmm.jpg

IMG_7262_zpstwqbxl3q.jpg

IMG_7260_zpsrcntpmib.jpg

IMG_7261_zpsqvrev8pa.jpg

IMG_7263_zpsio1blmyu.jpg

Thanks again, cornfarmer!

Squittolo, Ender_rpm, Bass V and 2 others like this.
  8. Rabidhamster

Rabidhamster

Jan 15, 2014
    Those are the good lotus basses, very nice MIJ quality. Not to be confused with the plywood P copies they made earlier.

Love the green one!

tombowlus likes this.
  9. lovely

lovely

Jun 13, 2003
    Phoenix, Az.
    Thanks for the thread......I had a black bolt on neck Lotus bass. Same body style as the red & green basses posted. It originally had P pickups, but I had it routed for a jazz pickup and installed Jackson pickups (I was 16 and thought they were good). It was my birthday present in 1984. Purchased at Camp's Music in Midland, Michigan. I have always regretted selling it. Sold to Mid Michigan Music about 6 years later. I've wanted to find it and if anyone can help....PM me. Thanks.

10. Hi-Fi

Hi-Fi

Feb 2, 2017
    Here is my Lotus. I bought it used from a music store around '92 or '93. It's made in Korea but the body is actually pretty light. If anything it has a slight neck dive problem. Still plays pretty decent. IMG_1793.JPG IMG_1794.JPG IMG_1795.JPG IMG_1796.JPG

Bass V likes this.
  11. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    How could I not bring this bass to a St. Paddy's Day gig?

IMG_7433_zpsj3fp0rzb.gif

12. RED J

RED J Lol

Jan 23, 2000
    I made that mistake once. Lotus P bass copy. I read a thread once that claimed if you bought one with such and such a logo they were solid wood, good like some of the Matsumoku era basses, etc.

I figured what the heck I $125 I got it from GC used. I fell for it. To say that anything about this bass was anything more than bubbling fermenting decomposing cow doodoo would be charitable. I mostly wanted the aged maple neck, but it was gooched beyond reasonable recovery.

Everything went in the burn barrel. I have gotten a few of these Asian 80's knockoffs that were darn decent backup beaters. Ummm, not this one.

13. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

Replacing the photos from page 1 of this thread....I can also comment that the neck on this Lotus has been incredibly stable and hasn't needed adjustment in 15 years.

And my refin is still looking good!

P-J controls.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 19, 2017
  14. bassplayer9512

bassplayer9512

Sep 26, 2011
    Pittsburgh
    Just picked up this one for 60 bucks with a nice gig bag included. It actually sounds really great for a 60 dollar find. the neck is gorgeous flame maple 20180313_213828.jpg

Bass V likes this.
  15. Bass V

Bass V

Dec 11, 2008
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    ^sweet score!

16. Bass V

Bass V

Dec 11, 2008
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    that body is identical to my '90ish Cort PJ tanker! mine sports a dark mahogany nat. clear finish and a maple board, the P is terrific, the J pretty ok, mixed = real nice. an old school honkin' P with an awesome neck! very Fendery

tombowlus likes this.
  17. GretschWretch

GretschWretch Supporting Member

Dec 27, 2013
    East Central Alabama
    Ooh! Yours has the Maxon pickup too. Roundwounds all the way.

18. bassplayer9512

bassplayer9512

Sep 26, 2011
    Pittsburgh

I can not find any info on mine anywhere. it sounds really good though. it needs a serious set up and the frets are pretty worn but it will be usable

19. GretschWretch

GretschWretch Supporting Member

Dec 27, 2013
    East Central Alabama
    I don't know whether you are referring to the bass or the pickup that you cannot find info on, but my introduction to the pickup happened decades ago on a boat-anchor Electra Long-necker Jazz, and I've seen it (them) on Encore Jazzes and other basses as well. The Electra came with roundwound strings, and I was so taken by the sound that I've never considered loading a Maxon pickup with anything other than roundwounds.

To me what makes the pickup special is that it takes the basic bass sound and on it overlays what to my ears sounds like the w-honk of the scene-change keyboard interludes from Seinfeld. Never encountered that sound anyplace else.

bassplayer9512 likes this.
  20. bassplayer9512

bassplayer9512

Sep 26, 2011
    Pittsburgh

I was actually referring to both, I have only been able to find the p bass copy and some jazz bass copies from the early 80s and late 70s. this was the first I have seen with that pick up.