speaker cabinet set up

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jonasp, Aug 13, 2002.

1. How do you set up a speaker cab with a head/power amp? And, do you need a pre-amp to run a big system like this?
    Ive never had a system like this so im just wondering how, just in case i get one someday.

2. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Typically, with this type of setup you go from bass to a preamp to the poweramp to the speaker. You don't want to plug directly into a poweramp. Voltages will not be correct, and you will have no tone-shaping abilities.

3. so i would want to plug into a pre amp first. whats the difference between a head and a power amp?

4. Mudbass

Mudbass Guest

A bass head has the the preamp and power amp sections all in one unit. The preamp is what you are plugging into when you use the instrument inputs and your tone controls/eq are all handled by the preamp section. The power amp's only job is to take the output from the preamp and make it really loud.

5. ldiezman

ldiezman Guest

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    you will want a preamp.... you will be lacking if you don't have one..

Are you interested in a new rig? if so what kind? how many watts? cab? preamp?

6. i am looking into a new rig. my "rig" right now consists of a peavey mircobass. im not really to sure on what kind i want to get. are there any good brands that dont cost $700 plus for a speaker cab and a head? i only want about 200-300 watts.

7. Boozy

Boozy Guest

Apr 29, 2002
    Kelowna BC, Canada
    your bass into cheap peavey max preamp into cheap peavey power amp into a peavey cab or cabs.. that's fairly cheap depending on the cabs..

look on ebay at peavey max preamp (say $100).. peavey 500W power amp ($100).. peavey 1-15" cab (say $100).. all used but not really that expensive... then buy a peavey 2-10" or 4-10" cab later to add to your rig..

buying used peavey is quite inexpensive and still quite good quality, sound and response IMO.

or just look for good deals and buy a head and cab(s)

good luck.

8. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    I dunno about that.
    Ebay can be tricky.
    If you are looking for an inexpensive high quality cab, look into Avatar. Do a search here to find comments from the many happy Avatar users here. :)