Speed Kills

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by MJ5150, Aug 22, 2005.

1. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    We had a massive garage sale over the weekend to benefit the family. Total raised was $7,000. That is exciting news.

On a sad note, it looks like the mother will have to have her leg amputated. It was so badly mangled in the accident that doctors do not believe they will be able to save it. The son will be confined to a bed for the next few months.

-Mike

2. Tom Crofts

Tom Crofts

Mar 15, 2001
    Wow, just read through this whole thread, I can understand what you're going through Mike. You've clearly been a great friend to them and you obviously really care about them, send my best wishes to them and keep doing what you're doing.

I can't stress how much this kind of thing angers me, my Dad was knocked off his motorbike last year, he lost his arm and suffered severe brain damage. The accident was caused by a guy who had previous drink driving and dangerous driving convictions and had obtained his insurance fraudulently.

People have got to understand that by driving like an arse you're not just risking your own life but the lives of innocent people... It's hard to believe that there are people out there who are that selfish or arrogant not to comprehend that.

3. AuG

AuG Guest

May 22, 2005
    Fort Collins, CO
    My prayers are with your friends Mike. Man, I'm not even gunna go into detail how much I hate the ricers and street racers alike. I don't care if your driving a '68 Camaro with a 454 and a powerglide tranny, you're still a dumass for racing on the street. I've sat outside my house before with my Impulse, and have given new paint jobs to cars that blow down my street doin 50 in a 25. It's quite fun, especially under the cover of darkness.
    I drive a '04 Corolla with a 1.8 liter 4 banger. I know my car doesn't have balls, and come to think of it that's not why I bought it. I can't tell you how many times I've been driving home from work and have had some rice burner come up and want to race me. Why? Because his little POS 2 liter Acura is probably faster than my Corolla and to tell you the truth, I really don't give a sh!t. When are these kids gonna grow up? A car's sole purpose (to me at least) is to get you from point a to point b and that's it. I wish I could do something about the slew of retards we have coming out of the woodwork, but unfortunately there's nothing that can be done. :scowl:

4. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    I know exactly how you feel. You did a good job of expressing my feelings also.

When I was 17-18, I liked fast cars also. Back in 1988-89 the cool fast cars to have were muscle cars. The whole import racing car phenomenon had not started. Even then, we took our desire to go really fast to a drag strip, or abandoned airport runways. Every once in awhile we might have done a burn out from a stop light just to smoke the tires and show our girlfriends how cool our cars were. It was just common sense for us back then to not drive like speed racer on public roads. I'm not the type to blame movies or video games for society's problems, but in this case, I really wonder. These kids are past all moral sense when they do this kind of stuff. The unfortunate accident that happened to my friends is not the first.

Ya know, I'm really sorry to make the reference to kids and street racing. But in my personal experience, I have yet to see someone older than 16-21 doing this kind of stuff.

-Mike

5. Vince S.

Vince S. Resident Former Bassist

Jan 24, 2003