Squiers! Who owns more than two? If so why?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassbully, Mar 15, 2013.

1. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    I do. I own 7 :p This is not bragging cuz who would brag about owning allot of Squiers? My question came off the Squier v.s. Fender thread and made me wonder if anyone like me uses them for gigging ,recording whatever as their main bass of choice. If so why?

Some might say we play cheap gear, I would like to think if you know what you are doing you can get the true Fender tone this way and save allot of money. FWIW, I play good Squiers and like any production bass you need to shop and find one that works, plays and sounds great. The only mods I do is to rewire most of them and set them up with the strings I prefer (Chromes) I might try a new pup from time to time but find the stock ones work for me.

I love 83' first edition SQ Squiers they are the bomb and I am lucky to own three. I sold and traded off my 2 MIA 70's Fenders after I bought my first SQ. Not only does it play better, is much lighter and the necks are to die for. I also like some of the E series Korea Squiers but some you have to watch.

So who out there perfers Squier so much they own more than most out there in TB land..am I alone? ;)

2. lowphatbass

lowphatbass ****

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    I have 3. An '83 JV(my only P/J), an '84 SQ Bullet and a S9 MIK P. The Bullet and the MIK are both projects at the moment.

3. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    OOOOH... you have the holy grail JV? That is still one I want very badly. I have the 84' SQ Bullet also. It needed a complete rewire but it is a great bass that I use it quite allot. The maple neck is sick with rolled edges and all...very fast.
    The Mustang type pups give it a diffrent brighter tone than say my 2 SQ P basses.

How do you like the MIK?

4. hhenry

hhenry

Feb 17, 2011
    NFLD, Canada
    Seven here as well. Why? Some are outstanding as they come and others beg to be modded.
    - E series Korean PJ HM (Heavy Metal)
    - Affinity P
    - VM fretless jazz
    - VM Jaguar HB
    - VM Mustang
    - VM Telecaster special
    - Bronco piccolo (what a hoot)

5. melikecookies

melikecookies

Sep 19, 2012
    York, PA
    Seven must be the lucky number seeing that I own 7 Squiers myself as well. I have 3 Classic Vibe 60 P's, 1 Short Scale Jaguar, 1 Bronco, 1 Vintage Modified Fretless, and 1 Mustang. I'm always amazed with the quality these basses have for the money they cost. I'm not ashamed in the least bit to pull mine out at a gig or jam session, they suit my needs very well.

6. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2001
    Spencerport, New York
    Two here. One four and one five string Squier P.

7. the wako kid

the wako kid Guest

May 11, 2011
    Denver,CO
    I have 2,an E series korean P,and the VM JAG special,which is my main player.

8. ics1974

ics1974

Apr 13, 2012
    Affinity P-bass
    VM 77 Jazz

9. boamedt

boamedt

Jul 2, 2008
    Santa Rosa, Ca
    Is it a squier p5 with precision pickups or precision body?
    I have two. Deluxe active jazz v and a squier pro tone v. The protons is my main bass for everything. I sold my fender deluxe 24 v with a glock preamp and nordy dual coil pickups because the squier sounded and played better lol

10. Plucky The Bassist

Plucky The Bassist Istanbul...not Constantinople Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2010
    Tejas
    I only have two...a modded Squier VM 70's J (put Dimarzio model Js in and now it SCREAMS) and a CV 60's P in sonic blue. CV is totally stock and sounds quite good, plays amazing with the D'Addario chromes on it. After a setup, string, and pickup change they really aren't much different than the Fenders in some cases. I personally like the necks on the CVs and VMs better than the standard ones for P's and Js from Fender. Trying to keep me from changing out that neck and getting rid of the Squier logo! lol

11. I have two 5 strings - the Jazz Deluxe and the Vintage Modified.I'm hoping to snag a Pro Tone in the future.

12. Just one but I really want that natural jazz vm everyone says is real nice....when I find one it'll be 2.

13. lowphatbass

lowphatbass ****

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    It's one heck of a bass but I don't know if it's the "Holy Grail JV" you speak of. It's a Squier Contemporary, an early mono-chromatic alder version of the Power Z sort of.

I've had a couple plywood MIK Precisions and they're way cool. The necks are well made, the profile is flatter than normal and they're just meaty enough. Those Samick folks did good on the necks.

14. chuck norriss

chuck norriss Inactive

Jan 20, 2011
    I recently owned two Indo Precision P/J and a CV 50's. Great basses: sound great, light weight, inexpensive, easy to mod, plenty of parts available. I'd buy USA if I had the dough but Korean & Japan Squiers are great at a fraction of the cost.

8474404928_e08d296d2f_c.png

15. LarryCrabtree

LarryCrabtree Guest

Sep 19, 2011
    I have two. A 85 P Medium Scale MIJ. A 2005 VM Fretless Jazz. Both stock and great. The P is Oly White and turned so it is classic beauty. The fretless is fitted with Roto Sound 88s black nylon wrapped flats that make it the acoustic I will never have.

16. bassinplace

bassinplace

Dec 1, 2008
    I have 2. A CV 60's P in Sonic Blue and an Affinity 5 string "J Bass" in black. The headstock actually says "J Bass". :eek: Both very fine basses that I will probably keep forever, or at least for the forseeable duration.

17. I have 2, a 2011 Squier bronco, and a 2003 limited edition electric blue stratocaster.

I love both, and they both really stand out. The squier bronco is the one bass I have that I will probably never modify, because it does everything I want it to and it was a great price. The strat is also a favorite of mine and one of my best sounding guitars. I would never trade or sell either one of these instruments.

-Ron

18. circuitspore

circuitspore

Aug 27, 2006
    Raleigh, NC
    Two SQ P-Basses and a SQ Strat. I also owned a Squier Super-Sonic until I gave it to my dad.

I absolutely love my main SQ P-Bass. I've decided it is pretty much perfect.

19. chuck norriss

chuck norriss Inactive

Jan 20, 2011
    Pics!

20. I only have the CV Jazz, but am hoping to pickup a CV Precision and VM fretless Jazz.