SUHR CLASSIC J PRO or Fender American Professional Jazz ....And Why?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Frankjohnson, Feb 23, 2018.

1. Ok - so here we go - I am not a wiz on this stuff - so bear with me.

I re-strung with new TI JF344's and intonated it. Now to play it in.......

IMG_5135.JPG
    IMG_5138.JPG
    IMG_5140.JPG
    IMG_5142.JPG
    IMG_5141.JPG
    View attachment 2958397
    IMG_5151.JPG

Last edited: Mar 21, 2018
  2. Gnal

Gnal

Apr 22, 2014
    Looks great

3. Johnny21

Johnny21

Mar 19, 2018
    Northern NJ
    Great looking bass!

Quick question about the Suhr Classic J--is that truss adjustment a spoke like wheel in the ernie ball music mans? Or are they allen key style?

4. aproud1

aproud1 Don't surround yourself with yourself. Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2007
    Cincy, OH
    Sweet bass. Suhr makes great instruments. Only thing I don't like about them is stainless steel frets. Everything else is soot on.

5. This is an Allen and you have to pull the pickguard or neck to get to it

Johnny21 likes this.
  6. I understand these frets will eat up a set of files, but last for a LONG time!!! I have no issue with that -

SJan3 likes this.
  7. johnson79

johnson79

Jan 8, 2010
    Lancaster, PA
    You have chosen wisely. Looks incredible!

Frankjohnson likes this.
  8. still tweaking the setup - probably will for a little while.

9. Johnny21

Johnny21

Mar 19, 2018
    Northern NJ
    How does it compare to your Fender? The Suhr Classic J is on my GAS list....

10. I have a gig on Friday, and will A/B both of them. The fender has 14 y/o TI's on it : ) and has a thunky kind of vibe. I am ok with it - I LOVE that bass. I have 4 other J Basses, and a couple of P Basses, but THAT sunburst Jazz is No.1. The Suhr feels great and I am betting after it is played in, it will be a struggle to decide between them. This - has yet to be seen though.

I have a Fiesta Roadworn, which has a little more neck than the Sunburst shown - and is nice, but will probably go abroad at some point to meet new people.

Johnny21 likes this.

11. Ok - so a couple of gigs, and some setup tweaking, and it seems to have settled in well. It feels SO similar to the Roadworn I have which is VERY different from all the others I have played. These two are the gig team I believe. I really like them, and have no complaints with the cost, etc. I haven't run across another used one lately - although I am sure if I look I can find one. Not at used pricing worth pursuing anyway.

@Joshua did you get yours yet? Curious

12. Joshua

Joshua WJWJr Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Aug 23, 2000
    Connecticut
    Negative - but I'm told the latest update says end of April/beginning of May. I can't wait!

13. Looking forward to hearing your report sir!

Joshua likes this.