Teen Invents Flashlight That Runs On Hand Heat

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Richland123, Mar 2, 2014.

1. Richland123

Richland123

Apr 17, 2009
  2. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY

Very cool. The author, on the other hand is uncool because he just had to mention that her home is just 25 miles from Washington state as if that's pertinent. :rolleyes:

Next up, a genetic breakthrough in Bern Switzerland that is just 3894 miles from New York.

3. Fawkesguy

Fawkesguy The sea refuses no river.

Mar 5, 2005
    NJ
    As a HAM, I think it's great that they mentioned both she and her parents are HAM radio operators. And her invention is awesome.:)

4. Not meaning to slam the "inventor" but in reality, this is not a new concept. I saw demonstrations producing a small amount of electricity from a heat source (hand, sun, whatever) some 30 years ago.

5. groooooove

groooooove Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2008
    Long Island, NY
    haha. not posting somethings geographical relevance to us (me) would make the article pointless.

where do i buy one of them lights...

ever since sandy i'm very into having flashlights that don't need batterys. those damn shake-it-to-charge-it ones are great, but... sigh. shaking it for light? in 2014? cmon! i need something easier.

seriously, cool story.

6. Watching the video, it looks like her dad has quite a nice machine shop at home. It is nice to see a 16 year old girl operating a lathe. Most 16 year old boys around here don't even know what a lathe is.

7. paste

paste

Oct 3, 2011
    Michigan
    In other news, teen makes breakthrough discovery with new hand heat generated fleshlight..

8. Richland123

Richland123

Apr 17, 2009
    From what the article states, she did not invent the concept. She invented a flashlight that utilizes the concept.

9. Peltier's aren't cheap, well, they aren't expensive, but you'd struggle to make it a viable option for impoverished countries (which was one of the goals they stated).

Will be interesting to see if they get a patent on it, well done if they do (combining two common technologies in a very simply way). We messed about with them in the past (use them as coolers for lasers).

10. groooooove

groooooove Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2008
    Long Island, NY
    hahaha

i was wondering if that was a home shop. looks more legit than most bass luthier's shops i've been to!

11. Richland123

Richland123

Apr 17, 2009
    If you go back and watch the video again, you will see at the bottom of the screen that it states "Machine Shop - University Of Victoria".

12. I missed that. Still it is nice to see her operating the equipment.

13. Bassamatic

Bassamatic keepin' the beat since the 60's Supporting Member

What a charming and smart young lady! So clever of her to figure out how to use some existing technology to solve a big problem. These would also be great for emergency backup and should be in every car and emergency bag. I hope she applied for a Patent. The licensing rights could make her wealthy.

I don't think that the Peltier modules are cheap, however. For 3rd world countries this is a big deal. Another issue is that many of the poor countries that need this are hot by nature - there may not be enough temperature differential to make it work.

The soda bottle light is another very clever idea to bring light into windowless slum homes. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHTD_RX3J2I

14. Richland123

Richland123

Apr 17, 2009
    Uncle Fester from The Addams Family was ahead of his time!

iain-duncan-smith.jpg

15. duff beer

duff beer

Dec 2, 2007
    Winnipeg
    Hand crank flashlights and radios have been around for years.

16. smperry

smperry Administrator Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
  17. Bocete

Bocete My E string is 36 1/4" long

Sep 30, 2006
    I honestly assumed that it's about the other flashlight, that maybe vibrates when you hold it? :bag: Wasn't sure about how to feel about a teen inventing it.

18. Milk

Milk Guest

Sep 16, 2013
    Montreal, Canada
    She was on fallon a few weeks back, they also had two other kid "inventors". She made both of the other two look like complete morons...i mean her invention was cool and useful, the other two it was just ******** kid stuff (well one was kind asupposed to be a joke really i think). But yeah i liked her personality even in the little time she got on tv.

19. Tupac

Tupac

May 5, 2011
    Uhh... I though tit wasn't possible to convert heat energy to electrical energy. Or else we would have solved the problem of recapturing energy stolen by friction and achieve perpetual motion.