Template for mounting bridge cover?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by BarkSlayer, Aug 20, 2009.

1. BarkSlayer

BarkSlayer

Dec 23, 2008
    Northwest Ohio
    Does anyone know where I can find a factory screw hole template for mounting the genuine Fender "F" chrome bridge cover on a J-bass? The cover arrived today but I just don't feel right taking a drill to my J without knowing for dead certain where to put those holes.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. :help:

2. Oren Hudson

Oren Hudson

Dec 25, 2007
    Gastonia, NC
    I don't think there is such a thing available, at least not that I've seen. I've done several. Just like you, I was a little nervous the first time or two, but they've all worked out great. Just take your time. Lay the cover over the bridge, snug it up from the back and evenly space the sides. Then do a visual just to make sure everything appears to be lined up correctly and the cover is sitting comfortably. Then mark the center of each hole. Pick-guard screws are what should be used. Make sure you do your pilot hole about a half or 3/4 the size of the pick-guard screw so you'll get a tight fit, and don't go too deep either. You should do fine. Just keep the cover properly aligned. I've used painters tape sometimes to keep it from moving once I've gotten it just right. IMO, the results are worth it. Covers just add soo much to the eye appeal. :cool:

3. BarkSlayer

BarkSlayer

Dec 23, 2008
    Northwest Ohio
    Thanks, Oren...I'll keep my eye on it!
    MF.gif

4. Oren Hudson

Oren Hudson

Dec 25, 2007
    Gastonia, NC
    Let me rephrase that BarkSlayer, the cover(s) are EYE POPPING! ;)

5. Willicious

Willicious Supporting Member

Feb 24, 2008
    Bend, Oregon
    BarkSlayer,
    Do you still need the mounting template?
    If so, I've got an original Fender mounting template
    that shows you exactly how to mount the bridge
    cover on a Jazz bass.

6. I know this is an old post but I have just started looking for this template and came across this post. I need a template. Do you still have it or does anyone know where I can get one? Thanks, Bob

7. Willicious

Willicious Supporting Member

Feb 24, 2008
    Bend, Oregon
    Here you go, Bob. It's an original Fender template, from an American Vintage '62 Jazz Bass. I added the MODIFIED mounting position myself, which allows the bridge cover to sit just a little more forward over the bridge pickup (looks better IMO).

BridgeCoverMountJazz-1.jpg

60bass and Maynard46 like this.
  8. KOLAD

KOLAD

Feb 14, 2014
    New England
    Have one for a 62' Pbass cover type?

petrus61 likes this.