The Muckelroy Bass Club Part 1 (It's high time!)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JeffLieby, Jan 2, 2014.

Tags:
  1. retroXvertigo

retroXvertigo Tone is stored in the balls. Supporting Member

Apr 7, 2017
    Baltimore

Yes

bhunt1 likes this.
  2. bbjonz

bbjonz Supporting Member

Aug 6, 2004
    Tucson, AZ
    I sure do! Really pleased with it and plan on keeping it a long time. Sound and feel are perfect, and this from a guy who loves Dingwalls and 35” scale basses. 32” works really well and the low B is excellent. Somehow...

I found out that my HMC 32” started life as a passive, single-pickup version. Jimbo bought it new, I think, and sent it back to Brady to have a front pup and preamp installed. Jimbo moved a it a bit later and I think he went to either a 33” or 34” scale Muck. Funny part is I almost never use the front pup or the preamp—very modern Jazz Bass voice, with some heft. But it does shake the room with both pups and the preamp engaged.

3. bhunt1

bhunt1 Vintage Lefty Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2009
    Southern DE
    Older than dirt ;)
    My neck is in production
    JViQ5Qk.jpg

4. retroXvertigo

Apr 7, 2017
    Baltimore
    Very nice!

I absolutely love 33" scale.

pachoate, bhunt1 and Jeff Elkins like this.
  5. bhunt1

Jul 30, 2009
    Southern DE
    Older than dirt ;)
    Really looking forward to it :)
    I spoke with Brady today to add the Muck preamp to my build.
    He told me they have refined the design of the custom Muck branded Ulyate pickups. They will be dual coil Tic Tacs hard wired in parallel. (coil switching are available on custom orders, which I will do for my next build with him). Brady wasn't perfectly satisfied with the earlier design so he had Howard Ulyate refine them. He is just finishing up the first couple of Pro Players with the new pickups and will do a demo fairly soon. Can't wait to hear them. All the Tic Tac demos I've heard so far were great. This is an example of dual coil Tic Tacs in action:

31HZ, retroXvertigo and Jeff Elkins like this.
  6. bhunt1

Jul 30, 2009
    Southern DE
    Older than dirt ;)
    Muck #2 for me on order! Specs:
    HMC 4 Custom Lefty
    33" scale fretted
    neck through
    Alder body wings and tone block
    Bolivian Rosewood top (pic below)
    5 piece maple neck with 2 wenge stringers
    Macassar ebony fingerboard
    Ulyate dual coil soapbars with coil switching for each pickup (just like in the video above)
    Muck 3 band preamp
    6 knob controls (passive VVT active 3 band - passive tone works in active)

Should be super versatile. I want the aggressive trebly sound w treble up and deep bass sound w treble down. Brady recommended neck through for the deep bass tone w these pickups. It was really easy specing this out with him. I knew the pickups I wanted but he helped me figure out the rest. Now the wait begins. In the meantime I have this pic of the top to drool over:
    yzoapCB.jpg

7. bhunt1

Jul 30, 2009
    Southern DE
    Older than dirt ;)
    Demo with the new Muck branded Ulyate pickups

8. bhunt1

Jul 30, 2009
    Southern DE
    Older than dirt ;)
    Another demo, this time w Muck preamp. Glad I added that to my build after hearing this:

9. 5StringPocket

5StringPocket Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2006
    Texas
    I like the development effort Brady has put into his HMC Pro Player model. Those custom wound Ulyate pickups and his own preamp seem to drive the tone and feel in a good direction.

jjk2007, retroXvertigo and bhunt1 like this.
  10. 77stingray

77stingray Supporting Member

Oct 6, 2010
    Atlanta
    Skjold Artist
    Hello Everyone! Check the classifieds if you are looking for a Muckelroy. I just posted a 6/33and my 5/32 will post next. Don't worry I will still have a 6/33!!!

31HZ likes this.
  11. bhunt1

Jul 30, 2009
    Southern DE
    Older than dirt ;)
    Necks being carved tomorrow. Mine is 2nd from left
    hNzVSUd.jpg

12. AMp'D.2play

AMp'D.2play

Feb 12, 2010
    NJ
    Quick question for those who have a Sharon Cline paint job on their Mucks. Does it make for a "sticky/grippy" back of the neck? This question relates to an existing Muck out in the wild, not a new build.

I've played a few Pedulla & Spector basses that had a similar high-gloss paint and I'd get some serious left thumb drag as I was navigating the neck. Same for a thick lacquer Fender P. Especially if the humidity ticked up a bit.

The gliding feeling of an EBMM oil & wax is what I'd consider ideal, by comparison. Thx.

13. 77stingray

Oct 6, 2010
    Atlanta
    Skjold Artist
    Is the finish glossy or matte?

14. AMp'D.2play

AMp'D.2play

Feb 12, 2010
    NJ
    Glossy. Very.

15. 77stingray

Oct 6, 2010
    Atlanta
    Skjold Artist
    Ok, I haven't played one with a gloss finish.

16. 31HZ

31HZ Glad to be here Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2006
    Central VA, USA
    I have a new-to-me early Muckelroy (double-digit SN) that seems to have a neck issue (generally, more relief on lower strings than on higher strings) and some uneven frets. To be clear, this bass had multiple owners before me, and anything could have happened to it during its life; I’m not blaming the builder, nor any previous owner.

Now, I *love* the sound of this bass, and it’s a joy to play — except that it buzzes substantially from frets 2-10 on some of the strings. I’d like to have it serviced as expertly as possible. Would anyone here have experience with sending an instrument back to Brady for such service, or would I be better served by sending it somewhere like Roscoe where it could be PLEK’d?

I appreciate any constructive advice. Thanks, folks.

17. Q440

Q440

Jun 29, 2008
    Get in touch with Brady.

18. retroXvertigo

Apr 7, 2017
    Baltimore
    I have a 4 string fretless that he made 5+ years ago. I've had it a little over a month.

It didn't have any issues really, bit it's with Brady now for fresh pickups and some love.

Definitely get in touch with him. I'm sure he'll be willing to give it a once over.

bhunt1, 31HZ and Jeff Elkins like this.
  19. CenTexThumper

CenTexThumper Old Timer

Apr 3, 2008
    The Republic Of Texas
    My 2 Mucks. First is a 2016 Muck P-J, bolt on neck and 34" scale, Alder with Ebony board. It has passive Honey Badger electronics. It kicks ass in any venue. The second is a recently acquired 2017 Muckelroy active HMC neck through with Cherry wood body and a gorgeous Wenge board and 33" scale. Reed James pickups. She and I gigged out for the first time last night and now I'm wondering why it took 50+ years to discover medium scale basses and Brady Muckelroy! Muck11.jpg flpzks9aaos7ypmslfqy.jpg

20. bhunt1

Jul 30, 2009
    Southern DE
    Older than dirt ;)
    My Muck #2 is underway. This is a pic of the top. It's Bolivian rosewood and it is spectacular WV3RXFt.jpg