The Praise and Worship Band Bassists Club

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by j-raj, Dec 3, 2013.

1. Wfrance3

Wfrance3 Supporting Member

May 29, 2014
    Tulsa, OK
    I should get kickbacks for Robert Keeley. I've posted similar to the following a couple times now, but so far, I'm not tired of telling the story, so here we go again... Skip the next paragraph if you don't want the "back story"...

I have used quite a few compressors over the years, and always felt that there was something I wasn't quite happy with. In short, started with an M87; too many knobs. Tried a Pigtronix Bass Comp; Tha was ok, and probably in hindsight could have been a keeper. It does color your tone a little, but (to me anyway) does it in a good way. If I remember right, it took 18 v. which was kinda a pain. So...went to a Duncan Studio Bass; because I thought a blend knob would be good thing. I always felt like the signal was too hot and competed for headroom with my DI. Also, I could never find a good place between the blend and the full wet signal. So not so much with the blend knob... Just didn't work for me. Went to a Keeley Bassist and that was great. Stupid me, chasing shiny objects, went to a Cali 76 CB. I just didn't like it. Should have learned my lesson with the blend knob on the Duncan. Also felt it was a little noisy, but I could have just gotten a lemon...

So, back to the Keeley Bassist. Yup, bought it twice.... It's (again, for me anyway) a perfect little setup. It has 3 knobs, so not too complicated. Here's what I learned in my experimentation. I thought I would like a little color in my comp, but what i found was that clean boost is actually what I was wanting. The bassist has it built right in. So, what I do is add just a little comp, somewhere between 3 and 4 on the far left knob. I set the threshold. to where if I play (just) a little bit louder than my normal, not digging in demeanor, it will kick in. There's a light, which is really a nice feature. I set the clean boost, to just the right of unity. The clean by the way, is really clean. If you put compression to 0 and threshold to where the pedal never kicks in, it's a clean boost only.

So, that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

2. JKos

JKos

Oct 26, 2010
    Surprise, AZ
    If you are looking for completely uncolored and very quiet, there is the Rothwell Love Squeeze.

- John

3. deepender

deepender

Jan 7, 2014
    Maryland
    Love the Bassist.

4. fauxtoe

fauxtoe Supporting Member

Apr 20, 2018
    Southern California
    And that’s why I love my Keeley Bassist. The dang thing is more versatile than it looks. Even with compression rolled on I think it works the best with a touch more than unity gain.

mtb777, FunWithBass, yobtaf and 3 others like this.
  5. This rig gets its first full test this Sunday.
    Everything small, light and efficient as we set up and dismantle our church every Sunday.
    I love the natural definition of the Phil Jones cabs and now I have serious amp headroom at 800 watts (I love clean bass tone) to match the cabs rating. 52lbs for the 3 pieces.
    I may have found my rig...
    B7638FB0-2C85-4608-827E-93FDBCAA3F7B.jpeg

mtb777, deepender, MynameisMe and 5 others like this.
  6. SteveC

SteveC Gold Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2004
    NE ND
    Here’s the forecast for Grand Forks for Wednesday night into Thursday...
    8CCA1570-3CA9-4B4F-A8E4-4A019B22C032.jpeg

mtb777, JeffsGotMilk and deepender like this.
  7. ExaltBass

ExaltBass XBass Cables Gold Supporting Member

Sep 28, 2006
    Twin Cities, MN
    We feel your pain! Take heart... Spring.Will.Come. Perhaps not until May, but by June for sure. :laugh:

My mailbox after Saturday’s storm.
    After 40-45 min of snowblowing and shoveling.
    2A7C1165-F782-47F2-AFD9-F1E3301FC46E.jpeg

mtb777, JeffsGotMilk, BassBH and 2 others like this.
  8. zontar

zontar

Feb 19, 2014
    J-5
    It is often a case of the feel.
    It just isn't what I tend to feel.
    But I can & do play it--I just have to pay more attention to it than 4/4 & 6/8 that come more naturally

(And while in fractions 6/8=3/4, in music with time signatures-6/8 has a very different feel than 3/4--it isn't the same, 6/8 is more like 4/4 with triplets, but not exactly)

Last edited: Mar 16, 2019
    mtb777, ExaltBass and deepender like this.
  9. deepender

deepender

Jan 7, 2014
    Maryland
    Well that gives you something to look forward to.

mtb777 and ExaltBass like this.
  10. deepender

deepender

Jan 7, 2014
    Maryland
    Ugh.

11. deepender

deepender

Jan 7, 2014
    Maryland
    Yup.

I get you.

12. gclark51

gclark51 Supporting Member

Dec 25, 2014
    Vilonia, AR
    None
    I played golf Monday afternoon....:D

deepender, mtb777 and ExaltBass like this.
  13. MynameisMe

MynameisMe What will you be remembered for?

Dec 31, 2018
    J'Ville, Florida
    It’s in the lower 70’s here today. Monday night we had the AC on.

deepender and mtb777 like this.
  14. I too am in a church band,we are a small country church so our list of talent is limited. That said our major qualification is where a person is spiritually. Like it or not when you step on that stage you are a worship leader and must have your house in order. We had a really good guitar player bring his wife into the band playing tambourine . Her lack of timing wasen’t so much of an issue as were her relationships and after a reasonable time it was evident she was disruptive not only to the band but to the congregation in general. She was welcome to attend church but was asked to not play in the band. Predicting the outcome was not hard,they both left. You need to remember who you are playing for. Best regards

15. BlitzCraig

BlitzCraig

Sep 28, 2018
    going on vacation in Branson, MO this week... will be looking for a church to visit and worship with on Sunday - anybody here in that area?

deepender likes this.
  16. You can keep all of it. I’m done with winter here in Chicago.

deepender, mtb777 and ExaltBass like this.
  17. I’m coming over!!

deepender, mtb777 and MynameisMe like this.
  18. TwinDad

TwinDad

May 18, 2017
    Kentucky
    Hope this isn't too far off topic... I have a friend who (AFAIK) is not on here, who has a Fender American Standard P-bass in
    Nice rig!

How do you like the wireless thing? I'm debating between getting a second Line6 G30 kit or using one of these for the infrequent times when I am playing multiple guitars/basses through the service. These look nice but I'm concerned about the comments/reviews I've read citing pretty bad interference with WiFi. Your thoughts?

19. mtb777

mtb777 Serving bottom for the Most High. Inactive

Apr 1, 2010
    Sunny South Florida
    It’s 82 and breezy right now.

deepender, MynameisMe and ExaltBass like this.
  20. ExaltBass

ExaltBass XBass Cables Gold Supporting Member

Sep 28, 2006
    Twin Cities, MN
    Someday... :cool:

mtb777 likes this.