To Rack or not to Rack

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ::::BASSIST::::, Apr 12, 2006.

1. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica] I have never used a rack before. I read that the front sloping face of the eden (i have the 405) can obscure the amp a bit when racked. True? How many spaces do I need for the 405? Are their any disadvantages to using a rack with an eden head (or any head) besides the obscurity issue?

Thanks!
    [/FONT]

2. I've never seen a 405 in a rack, and not sure that it is designed for rack mounting, given the front sloping head. Actually, one of the advantages of getting a small, lightweight head like the 405 is that you don't need to rack mount it. Eden makes a great padded carrying bag for the 550/405 with a pouch for cables, etc. I would highly recommend that.

3. ::::BASSIST::::

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Thanks Ken. Nice to hear from you again!

4. SteveC

SteveC Gold Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2004
    NE ND
    Yeah, except they never have them ...ever. No one, not even Eden knows when they'll have them again. It's very frustrating. I have an Eden WT-550 and part of the reason is that it is small. It also sounds VERY good. I think I will order a Euphonic Audio bag. They are almost the same size and you can get them now. $75.

5. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Saint Louis, MO USA

The only real reason I see for racking a head alone is the protection it offers for transportation.

I have my 2-space Eden head in a 4-space rack. I like being able to keep a rack tuner in there and have a extra space to throw something else in if and when I want to. Maybe a compressor or the like.

Anything over 4 spaces is too cumbersome for me to deal with. I used an 8-space for a while, but it was bulky to carry and weighed a TON.

6. ibz

ibz Guest

Apr 14, 2005
    Columbus, OH
    One thing about racking is it tempts some players to keep adding "toppings" until they have one big, unnecessarily heavy rig. And with too many components that just detract you from your purpose as a bass player...

Find a solid tone, then just gruuve!

Disclaimer: Not all bass players with rack rigs are like this, but I've seen many guitarists/ bassists with rack rigs that have way more stuff than they need.

7. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    What Ken said. One of the great things about an Eden is the size/weight. If you transport your own equipment, there is no need for a rack.

8. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    You can't mix brands like that. You have to come correct. :D

-Mike

9. ibz

ibz Guest

Apr 14, 2005
    Columbus, OH
    Agreed, But they do say,

"If the shoe fits, wear it." :D

10. ::::BASSIST::::

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Protection is my main concern. No one will really be moving it but me, but I like to know my gear is well protected from the bumps of travel. I will have to move it around often. At least twice a week.

Ease of setup is also important to me. If I can have most of the stuff I need placed in the back it would be handy. One advantage of the small head is that there should be lots of room for storage left.

How heavy is the average 2 space rack?

11. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Do you lather, rinse and repeat too just because that's what the bottle says? ;) :D

12. Those are good reasons. I use the standard 2 space SKB rack (about $125 from Musician's Friend) if I end up using a rack (not the shallow rack or Roto Racks). It weighs almost nothing, maybe a pound or two. Plenty of room in the back... it's about 15" from the front to back rails, and another couple of inches in the back cover... nice units.....

13. unity bass

unity bass

Dec 15, 2003
    Modesto, Ca.
    I rack my lightweight amp for a couple of reasons.
    Of course, it protects everything from damage but it is also convenient.
    With this 3-space "bag" I have my wireless hooked up to the amp.
    In the pocket I have my transmitter, tuner, Sansamp, batteries, cords, tools, wallet, phone, etc.
    Fully loaded, the rack weighs 35 pounds.
    Two cords are left hooked up to the amp; the power cord and the speaker cord.
    I unzip the case, plug those two in and I'm ready to play in like 3 minutes.

PICT0131.jpg

Whatever you decide; congrats on the new amp! I hope it works out for you.

Best of luck,

Chad

14. SteveC

SteveC Gold Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2004
    NE ND
    Is that a Protec bag?

15. bannedwit

bannedwit Guest

May 9, 2005
    Buffalo, NY
    +1 look what happened to me...
    [​IMG]

That is 120+ lbs of pain

16. unity bass

unity bass

Dec 15, 2003
    Modesto, Ca.
    It sure is. A nice product too.

Chad

17. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    I don't listen to what a bottle tells me, I listen to my brain. :D

My brain says mixing brands is a no-no.

-Mike

18. ibz

ibz Guest

Apr 14, 2005
    Columbus, OH
    lol I've had to help my guitarist move his rig. I can imagine carrying it all by yourself, and the thing doesn't have wheels of any kind either.

19. nad

nad 60 Cycle Humdinger

Sep 22, 2005
    Mine isn't too bad:

rackgood.jpg

I am thinking about ditching it, but then again the whole thing took a nasty spill onto the concrete just last week, and other than scuffing up the rack itself, everything works fine. Maybe I should get a 4-unit though, I'm never going to fill that void with anything, and don't really need the rack tuner either. Hmm.

20. I'm getting a four space Gator case for my Eden WT550 mainly for protection but also so I can put a tuner and power conditioner in there as well. I would of like an Eden bag but the store where I bought mine showed me one of the bags and it didn't seem that greater quality especially for the price.