Types of people who play bass (and other instruments)

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Mark Gollihur, Jul 21, 2000.

1. Mark Gollihur

Mark Gollihur Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 19, 2000
    Mullica Hill, NJ
    Owner/President, Gollihur Music LLC
    So, do you notice a certain type of people are predisposed to certain instruments? It seems to me that there are generally certain character traits that are cliche (but true) about the certain members of the band.

For instance, here's a few common ones I can think of - some apply specifically to my group.

Bassist: Control freak. Usually the most technically proficient person in the group (electronics and such). Most likely person in the band to have a flashlight and duct tape (or something else that's needed in a pinch.

Lead Guitarist: Spotlight hog. Somewhat arrogant and closed-minded about musical matters. Self-absorbed.

Rhythm Guitarist: Introverted. Non-confrontational. Most likely to be a heavy drinker.

Drummer: Dumb as rocks. Most likely to be under the influence of something illegal. Always late.

Singer: Not too dedicated. Prima Donna. Questionable morals. (Q:How many singers does it take to screw in a light bulb? A:Singers don't screw in light bulbs, they screw in the backs of vans.) smile.gif

Granted, many of these are very stereotypical, but I generally feel that stereotypes exist for a reason. Any additions? Thoughts?

Mark
    [email protected]

2. ONYX

ONYX

Apr 14, 2000
    I don't like to sterotype people,but, your drummer profile hit the nail on the head!!!

We've been bandmates for quite some time,but jeez-ol-pete, the guy is always late and stoned!!! His drumming skills keep him from getting sacked, although he's come close a few times.

BTW-just for the record: Even though I play bass, I am in no way a control freak! Nor do I carry duct tape and/or flashlights!!! biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

------------------
    Life is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.

3. Monkey

Monkey Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Ohio, USA
    I seem to fit your description somewhat. I always drive myself to gigs, even when they are far away and the other guys go in a van, because I HATE to show up for a gig late. Usually, I am the first one there, so at least someone from the band is there on time. I also do the tech work on both guitarists' instruments.
    Check this out; our drummer is always late and doesn't even own his own set! He has to rent for every gig, and borrows money all the time. He recently ask me if he could start spending the night at my house sometimes when he fights with his girlfriend. A very nice guy and a good drummer, but come on! He's 41 years old!

4. membranophone

membranophone

Mar 19, 2000
    Madison, WI
    that bassist description fits me perfectly!

5. I agree that the bass player tends to be the most grounded and responsible person in the band. I'm that guy in my band, for sure.
    Now.. the rhythm and lead guitarist and singer in my band is all one guy.. so according to the description above, he's a self-absorbed, introverted, arrogant, closed-minded, non-confrontational, heavy-drinking, spotlight-hogging prima donna with questionable morals! No wonder he's so intense all the time.. that's a lot to handle!

6. msaygilar

msaygilar Guest

Apr 18, 2000
    Istanbul
    I agree that bass player and lead guitarist descriptions. And honestly my school orchestra's drummer was really dumb I can tell you.. But all the other drummer friends of mine are cool people.

------------------
    The Only Mask I Wear is the One I was Born With..

7. alexssandro

alexssandro Guest

Jun 7, 2000
    Houston, Texas
    I think bass players on the whole are team players. We're concerned with making everyone - not just ourselves- sound good.

8. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    ...I'm lucky in that the drummers(OUR BEST FRIEND!)I've played with recently are top-notch; in fact, one played piano kinda in a Chick Corea vibe.
    I ain't gonna knock anybody that can pull the rug out from under me! biggrin.gif

Guitarists? That's a different ball of wax... biggrin.gif

9. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Inactive

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings
    "Bassist: Control freak. Usually the most technically proficient person in the group (electronics and such). Most likely person in the band to have a flashlight and duct tape (or something else that's needed in a pinch."

Interesting..."technically proficient" but too lazy to learn how to play a "harder" instrument...like guitar biggrin.gif

"Control freak"?...yep, but bassists know how to be one (stealth mode) without other's actually realizing it. It's a gift biggrin.gif

I won't comment on the other players, my computer would probably run out of ink.

One of us, one of us!

10. ~Loxley~

~Loxley~ Guest

Apr 9, 2000
    Maybe, I'm an exception, but NONE of those descriptions fit in with any of the members of any of my bands. Except perhaps for one of my drummers, Jonas, who is a great guy, but a bit of a psycho. Check out what he once said to me, seriously:

"Dammit, Robin! Why are you so nice to people? You are a popular guy! Why aren't you mean? That's what being popular is all about!" (and here comes the best part) "What do you get out of being nice to people?" (Sure... It is a huge sacrifice being nice.. Jonas couldn't understand... I guess I'm a bit of a hippie..)
    smile.gif ~PEACE~ smile.gif

~Loxley~ (I'm a guy wink.gif )

------------------
    Never trust a man who doesn't drink - Winston Churchill

11. JimM

JimM Guest

Jan 13, 2000
    Northern California
    I'm a melancholy/phegmatic.

And a combination of your drummer and rhythm guitarist.but I do carry a flashlight.I only carry duct tape at work.

(note to self...add d/t to gigbag)

12. Blackbird

Blackbird Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    One other thing about bassists:

We know how to spell "Duct Tape". wink.gif

I'm tired of reading people write "Duck Tape". Jeez, those guitar players, I'm tellin' you...

Will C. cool.gif

------------------
    I'm not a genius. I'm just a hard working guy.
    -BW

13. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Supporting Member

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Brad Johnson:
    "Control freak"?...yep, but bassists know how to be one (stealth mode) without other's actually realizing it. It's a gift biggrin.gif
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Bingo!

"Bassist: Control freak. Usually the most technically proficient person in the group (electronics and such). Most likely person in the band to have a flashlight and duct tape (or something else that's needed in a pinch."

Yep, I'm the one with the gig bag full of everything from spare fuses to fast food coupons..

------------------
    the fabric of reality is woven from the threads of our dreams...
    bill longshort

[This message has been edited by embellisher (edited July 22, 2000).]

14. Mark Gollihur

Mark Gollihur Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 19, 2000
    Mullica Hill, NJ
    Owner/President, Gollihur Music LLC
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>"Control freak"?...yep, but bassists know how to be one (stealth mode) without other's actually realizing it. It's a gift <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's about the best way I've seen that concept described. It's true... we often run the band without "running the band." And the guitarists seem to thing that they're the ones that make the chords change - boy, we could really screw up their world by playing a note choice that totally changes the tonality of the piece. You've gotta love the power. (evin grin.)

Mark
    [email protected]

15. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Inactive

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Big Wheel:
    One other thing about bassists:

We know how to spell "Duct Tape". wink.gif

I'm tired of reading people write "Duck Tape". Jeez, those guitar players, I'm tellin' you...

Will C. cool.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    "Duck" tape makes sense to me, BW. After you've thrown a roll of it at them to get their attention in the middle of one more spellbinding solo, that's what they do.

16. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Inactive

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by sixandeightstringer:
    That's about the best way I've seen that concept described. It's true... we often run the band without "running the band." And the guitarists seem to thing that they're the ones that make the chords change - boy, we could really screw up their world by playing a note choice that totally changes the tonality of the piece. You've gotta love the power. (evin grin.)

Mark
    [email protected]
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Guitar player: "What key are we in?"

Keyboard player: "D minor"

Bass player (to him (or her)self): "That's what you think! Mooowaaaaahahaha!"

I love bass. And eggs, too biggrin.gif

17. Hmmm...none of those descriptions seem to fit my band, so I'll go ahead and give mine tongue.gif :
    Bassist: Bored and lazy except for when it comes to playing something on the bass. tongue.gif
    Drummer/rhythm guitarist #1: Control freak, always trying to better himself.
    Drummer/rhythm guitarist #2: Laid back, a little on the cocky side, but pretty damn good at both guitar and drums.
    Lead guitarist: Clueless, had the title of 'lead guitarist' thrust upon her, because she couldn't play the rhythm stuff.
    Frequent guest violinist: His message in my year book sums it up: "You've got to teach me how to play the bass some day."
    Hehe... biggrin.gif

------------------
    I am a pool of extremely useless information. Take no notice of me whatsoever.

18. Tom_Hamilton_fan

Tom_Hamilton_fan Guest

Apr 13, 2000
    Australia
    hey i reakon your traits for rhythm guitarists was spot on, as was your trait on bass players. i thought of duct taping a mic to a music stand when we forgot the stand.
    but i'm a little confused; i'm a bass player, and a lead guitarist (just beginning). what does that make me?

------------------
    sitting on a castle, on the floor with Ezmeralda, waiting for the geezer, captain crunch to come around. felling suicidal 'cos of certain situations, hanging from the stairs too long, i think i'm coming down....it's time to CRASH!!!

19. JLeeFJ

JLeeFJ Guest

Apr 5, 2000
    What would've been my band:
    Singer/Keyboardist: Outgoing, charismatic, easy to work with, suave and friendly. Most of those are either the singer exactly or not at all.
    Guitarist: Talentless, no electronics skill, quiet because he doesn't want others to realize he has no clue, insists he's awesome.
    Drummer: Nope.
    Bassist: The glue of the band. Practice at my house, use all my equipment as I'm the only one with a drum kit and studio materials, the best musician in the group, hook up and run all the equipment. The first description fit pretty well...

------------------
    "My hovercraft is full of eels." -John Cleese

20. u mean it´s not duck tape?? I was wondering why it was called duck tape (made no sense to me) smile.gif

this isn´t a joke... I seriously thought it was spelled duck tape, but i found it very weird though...

------------------
    signature???? hmm...