Using wireless in ears & a personal mixer together?

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by mwbassace, Apr 13, 2016.

Tags:
  1. mwbassace

mwbassace

Jul 26, 2010
    N.W. Ohio
    My new band is considering in ears & I have a question. Our current mixer has 2 monitor sends, 1 for the dummer & 1 for the 2 guitars, keys & bass. We all 5 have vocal mics, & the drummer will stay with his wedge. To hook up a wired in ear set-up with "more me" is no biggie using a Rolls PM351 (or similiar). Mixer>4 way splitter>Rolls PM351>ear buds. This way each of us can loop our mics & instruments via the Rolls & then use wired ear buds. But 1 guitarist & myself use instrument wireless & would like to be wireless w/our ear buds. Could we go out of the Rolls into the wireless in ear transmitter? It's no different than my computer/ipad/mp3 headphone out, right? Plus all the in ear systems I'm looking at have input pads so that should help, yes? I am having trouble coming up with any other way till we up grade our mixer & get individual monitor mixes. Any thoughts or ideas on any of this is welcome. Thanks.

PS--I also have an idea for ambient sound/talking to each other. Each of us wears a lavalier mic (or place 2-4 mics on stage) which runs to a 4 channel line mixer (like an ART SPLITMix4) then out into 1 channel of the board to be mixed with the monitors only.

2. s0c9

s0c9 Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2014
    Ft.Worth/Dallas
    1964 Audio artist, Fractal Audio Beta Tester
    Not sure you can tap the headphone outputs, but doing so might overdrive the inputs on the wireless. A passthru line-level signal would be better..

That works for some.. we've been using IEM's for long enough to be able to communicate without ambient mics. We tried ambients for a short time and dropped them as they caused us some issues - probably BL user error IME, but... yes, they should work.

3. mwbassace

mwbassace

Jul 26, 2010
    N.W. Ohio
    Not sure you can tap the headphone outputs, but doing so might overdrive the inputs on the wireless. A passthru line-level signal would be better..

This is exactly my concern. But for the life of me I can't find something with a pass-thru for the monitor mix plus having the ability to control & pass-thru our vocal mic & guitars/bass. The ambient mics are, as of now, not a major concern. If we need'em at all.

4. s0c9

s0c9 Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2014
    Ft.Worth/Dallas
    You might need a small-footprint mixer instead of the rolls.
    Put all your inputs to the mixer.. then send mixer L/R outputs into L/R of your wireless transmitter.

5. mwbassace

mwbassace

Jul 26, 2010
    N.W. Ohio
    Thought about this but even though I could split my bass using my SABDDI I'd have to get a splitter box for my vocal mic.

6. mwbassace

mwbassace

Jul 26, 2010
    N.W. Ohio
    Screw it! Time to get the digital mixer w/6+ monitor mixes. Problem solved.

gumtown, s0c9 and tbirdsp like this.
  7. s0c9

s0c9 Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2014
    Ft.Worth/Dallas
    You're welcome !! LOL

mwbassace likes this.
  8. mwbassace

mwbassace

Jul 26, 2010
    N.W. Ohio
    After a little more research the small mixer & a XLR y-cable for vocals, my SABDDI will work for splitting signals. Then just add the monitor in and R & L out to the wireless. I thought the y cable was a no no but I guess it will only reduce the signal a few db.

s0c9 likes this.
  9. s0c9

s0c9 Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2014
    Ft.Worth/Dallas
    Let us know how it works out.... your solution may help someone else in the future!

mwbassace likes this.
  10. tbirdsp

tbirdsp

Sep 18, 2012
    Chattanooga, TN
    Forgive me - you kinda lost me on exactly what you are trying to do - but FYI most IEM transmitters have two channels with through jacks. I have a Shure PSM 200 and I used to run my monitor feed from the FOH mixer into one side but my bass into the other. with the through jack going to the mixer. I used that channel as a "more me" bass monitor, didn't monitor the bass through the aux feed. Now that we have a new sound guy and I got an iPad so I can actually see to adjust my mix better (Behringer x32) I quit doing that though. Honestly you should just get a digital mixer like you said above :D

mwbassace likes this.
  11. Geri O

Geri O Endorsing Artist, Mike Lull Guitars and Basses Gold Supporting Member

Sep 6, 2013
    Florence, MS
    What Steve said....But we do this with our IEM transmitters and the headphone outputs of our Aviom personal mixers at church with no problems, other than yes, be careful with the headphone output level that you are sending to the transmitter.

I'm curious if the lav mic idea will be practical. I think you'd want to be able to mute those mics until you need them. Not to mention the cabling to the mixer you mention. Sounds cumbersome, but if it's practical, it's worth a try. Like Steve, the groups I'm in with IEMs (and even the ones I'm in where I'm the only IEM user)

well, heck, I see where I never hit send to post this. So for what it's worth...

s0c9 likes this.
  12. Wasnex

Wasnex

Dec 25, 2011
    Have you looked at the Behringer MX882?

13. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    I own a presonus mixer. It has 6 aux's. Find them used for $700ish. Solve all your problems

DirtDog and mwbassace like this.
  14. My shure in ears have stereo, you can drop the bass into one ear and the main monitor mix into the other. This is helpful when the sound guy sucks. Also you can boost low freq in the eq on the wireless transmitter just for you. Don't know if this helps.

15. mwbassace

mwbassace

Jul 26, 2010
    N.W. Ohio
    I forgot about the 882, but the 802 mixer is a little cheaper & I can use it at home as well. So channel 1 of the 802 will be my vocal (using an XLR y cable to split), channel 2 - my bass (using my SABDDI to split) & then I will put the monitor mix into channel 5/6 left mono (remember I'm sharing this monitor mix w/4 other guys, hence the need for 2 "more me" split inputs + a monitor in). Then use the 802's main outs into a wireless in ear system, like s0c9 said. Or use the headphone out as a hard wired set-up.

Behringer 802

Hosa YXM121 - 6

Last edited: Apr 13, 2016
  16. Wasnex

Wasnex

Dec 25, 2011
    Cool. I believe you have chosen the better solution as you get two bands of EQ and can even run effects if you like. I suggested the MX882 in case you wanted something that functions more like the Rolls. \\Cheers\\

mwbassace likes this.
  17. mwbassace

mwbassace

Jul 26, 2010
    N.W. Ohio
    I read during my research that Dave Matthews bands monitor guy is using lavalier mics for ambient sound, so I think I'll try it. Found some lav mics for $40 bucks on Sweetwater. Will use a 4 input line mixer (like the ART SPLITMix4) to group them & only use 1 channel on our FOH mixer. Also thinking of trying some 57's mounted on our lights. Maybe mix & match. Our drummer runs sound so if he can mute/unmute great, otherwise they willhave to be low in the monitor mix.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2016
    Geri O likes this.
  18. mwbassace

mwbassace

Jul 26, 2010
    N.W. Ohio
    Forgot! I just re-watched "Lemmy" on Netflix. IEM's are for wussies! I'm gonna run 2 mixed driver stacks, one either side of the drummer, w/huuuge tube power (cause it's louder!) and make eardrums bleeeed!!!! Tinnitus be damned!!:bassist::bassist::bassist::bassist::bassist::bassist::bassist::bassist::bassist::bassist::bassist::bassist::cool:
    ROCK-N-ROLL!!!!!!!!

Wasnex likes this.
  19. Wasnex

Wasnex

Dec 25, 2011
    I guess it probably depends upon your goal. We used shotgun mics with the intent of isolating the audience response as much as possible. Lavs tend to be omni, I believe, so they will pick up a lot of bleed from the drums and the sound system. Are you sure the lavs aren't being used so the artist can communicate with one another through the IEMs without the being heard by the audience. It's been awhile, but I think at one time we just put out a couple SM58s on stands with a push to talk footswitch so the musicians could use their IEMs like an intercom.

20. mwbassace

mwbassace

Jul 26, 2010
    N.W. Ohio
    Yes, my intent w/the lavs & light mounted mics is for us to communicate & crowd noise. Same reason for DMB using lavs. I like your idea of "push to talk" mics & the shotguns. Alot easier than using lavs. The only thing that lavs would be better for is someone coming up to the stage to talk to one of us. But I still think your idea is the way to go. If nothing else grab the 58 & point it towards them.:)