Vintage G&L Club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by thechillinvillain, Apr 19, 2014.

1. PluckyThump

PluckyThump

Jan 4, 2008
    The Hammer
    Never seen a trans green one in the early model years. Cool bass!

2. TomB

TomB Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2007
    Vermont
    Red, blue, green & natural were what I recall we saw the most on the East Coast in '81. Thx to Talkbass, I've now seen all kinds of other early finishes, especially on the 'hogs.

3. Chrome Dome

Chrome Dome Chrome Dome Supporting Member

Sep 17, 2013
    Piqua,Ohio 45356
    IMG_0468.JPG Just came across this thread,on Vintage G&L basses. Just got this 1988 G&L El Toro,transparent blue,from a bass player in Indiana,third owner. Thought this might be the very bass I ordered new,back in late 1987. Wanted the matching head stock,but G&L wasn't doing that when I ordered? Don't know of how I could find out if it is the one I ordered,but it is exactly like the one I ordered. Came with the original G&L case. In real good shape,for being 28 years old. Neck is in great shape,one minor ding,down by the input jack. Try to make sure,this one don't get away from me? IMG_0469.JPG View attachment 1061572 IMG_0484.JPG

4. TomB

TomB Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2007
    Vermont
    Way cool! What was different about the Interceptor other than the racy body and headstock shape mods? ...same electronics?

Chrome Dome likes this.
  5. Chrome Dome

Chrome Dome Chrome Dome Supporting Member

Sep 17, 2013
    Piqua,Ohio 45356
    I myself,don't know about the differences,in the electronics? Someone,on here I am sure will know?

6. Templar

Templar Rythm Wrangler Supporting Member

Pretty sure the elecs are identical. Unclear if Interceptors were offered as passive models, like some El Toros were. There just isn't enough info on them. Also, I don't think anyone knows everything about previous G&L instruments. As always re CLF, never say never.

Chrome Dome and twinjet like this.
  7. twinjet

twinjet Powered by GE90s; fueled with coffee. Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Sep 23, 2008
    I'm about 110 pages into Forrest White's Fender: The Inside Story. It's an interesting read about how FMIC grew to what it is today. The funny part, however, is how much of a PITA George Fullerton was made out to be. Couldn't have been that bad if he was able to spit out the incredible basses that him and Leo did at G&L!

TinIndian likes this.
  8. Monies paid - G&L incoming

9. We are waiting for you to submerge this thread with phoos of this bass !

pjbassist and Luke the Fluke like this.
  10. Glued to the couriers tracking screen at the moment - not sure if the seller used a 24 or 48 hour delivery option!

11. bdgotoh

bdgotoh Supporting Member

Aug 6, 2002
    Pacific NW
    I've never seen a passive Interceptor. You're right, the electronics are identical between the El Toro and Interceptor.

Sometimes I miss my two-tone Interceptor, but that was one heavy bass - solid maple body!

AGH and audreycashin like this.
  12. Templar

Templar Rythm Wrangler Supporting Member

What color combo was your two-tone Interceptor?

13. bdgotoh

bdgotoh Supporting Member

Aug 6, 2002
    Pacific NW
    Templar and audreycashin like this.
  14. So it's arrived.

No photos cos it's dark here but a few initial thoughts/findings

Something in my spare room makes single coils buzz. Not sure what!
    Factory green over poplar I think.
    Fits my hand like a glove, pretty much the same neck shape as my Warwick streamer.
    Case has original allen key for the truss rod, warranty card, and receipt with price from 1982 - the guy must have been unsure about the green colour as it's written on the receipt that he could have a free respray if he wanted.

I've read the patent that covers the slot pole pieces. And to be honest was skeptical... but it actually does make a difference which way they are aligned! Perpendicular seems to have more fundamental, whilst parallel has that 'fender' sound going on on the mids more. How do you guys set yours up? (and why did they drop them as a feature after a year?)

The bass and treble knobs have a lot going on, it doesn't seem to be a simple treble roll off type thing going on. Any suggested settings?
    Cutting the bass back by 1/4 and the treble by 1/3 gets me in P bass type territory I think.

I like the idea of OMG switch setting - but where on earth do you use that much low end? - it's crazy crazy sounds from a passive set up - just so flexible.

15. On my El Toro I found that the passive bass knob doesn't make any sense when I use the normals settings, but when you engage the OMG switch, you definitively know why there is a bass roll off ...
    I does seem counter intuitive to boost the bass one way and cut it another way, but it works !

16. PluckyThump

PluckyThump

Jan 4, 2008
    The Hammer
    My '81 sounds best with the poles set diagonally. As for the bass and treble controls, I wouldn't worry about where they are, just turn them until your ears tell you they are in the right spot. Nice thing about the early knobs is they have the pointer on them as a reference. In OMG mode you'll most likely want to cut the bass back. You can also roll back the volume a bit which will cut some treble as well.

17. 4stringsjack

4stringsjack

Dec 5, 2002
    US
    G&Ls have become my favorite basses over the last couple of years. My other basses sit woefully ignored in favor of these three. From left to right, '82 L2000e, '83 SB-2 in 3 tone sunburst strung with flats, and its sibling '83 SB-2 in Bahama Blue strung with rounds. All of them sound great and play beautifully!

g&l_basses.jpg

audreycashin, GlennRH, AGH and 5 others like this.
  18. Ti-Ron

Ti-Ron

Aug 25, 2016
    4stringsjack likes this.
  19. 4stringsjack

4stringsjack

Dec 5, 2002
    US
    Me too. I wish G&L would create a new bass that combines features of the first gen SB-2/Lynx and the El Toro. Or just reissue the El Toro!

AGH and bdgotoh like this.
  20. bigtone23

bigtone23

Dec 10, 2014
    Denver, CO
    Reissue the El Toro!! Not that I would be in line since I have one, but it really is a very cool bass. Seems many G&L fans regret selling theirs. I know I'm not getting rid of mine.

4stringsjack likes this.