Warmoth custom bass-HELP!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by chazburger, Mar 18, 2008.

1. chazburger

chazburger Guest

Aug 31, 2007
    Australia
    Hey lads I've been vigourously pondering over a Warmoth custom and heres what I got so far:
    Body-Swamp ash G4 (rear routed)
    Neck-Wenge
    Fingerboard-Ebony
    Finish-Solid Alpine White with green racing stripes
    Preamp-Aguilar OPB-1
    Thats bassically (pun intended) what I have so far set in condrete. I don't really know that much about electronics so I need to know what I need. Still pondering over what kind of pickups but I'm thinking MM, PJ or JM. I NEED a Kahler trem. Thanks guys.

Loki182 likes this.
  2. lowbass68

lowbass68

Feb 3, 2008
    Sounds good. I just ordered a black korina body and wenge neck with lined ebony fingerboard from Warmoth. The body is rear routed controls and dual J pups.

I've had great luck with other bodies and necks I have bought from them. Good luck with your project. Oh, I think you can buy straight from the Kahler USA site. Never seen a store carrying the bass trems.

3. chazburger

chazburger Guest

Aug 31, 2007
    Australia
    Nice. I think I might go with Bartolini soapbars. What do you guys think about this setup vs a MTD Zbass of a Warwick $$?

4. Lonnybass

Lonnybass

Jul 19, 2000
    San Diego
    Endorsing Artist: Pedulla Basses
    I ditched my MTD-Z in favor of a Warmoth project with Sadowsky electronics/preamp and haven't looked back. At all. Better preamp, better woods, better fit and finish (I did it myself), more usable sound.

Lonnybass

5. elros

elros

Apr 24, 2004
    Norway
    Proprietor, Helland Musikk Teknologi
    I would recommend the Warmoth head 13 degree angeled peghead neck - it's good looking (especially with the G4 body) and since it is small it will help against neck dive. It would be good to think about this at least - seeing that you're going for a small body made of rather light wood, and heavy woods for the neck.

6. Mofo-Kang

Mofo-Kang

Aug 26, 2006
    Modesto, CA
    I like the angled headstock, too...the one thing that's irritating is they don't do a P- or J-style angled headstock. They DO offer an angled strat-style headstock, though. Go figure.

7. chazburger

chazburger Guest

Aug 31, 2007
    Australia
    Yes I'm going to get the angled Warmoth neck.
    I've nearly got the final build worked out. If thers much more I need please tell me:

-Wenge neck with ebony fretboard, unmarked and satin finished with a Warmoth angled headstock.

-Swamp ash G4 body finished in alpine white with charger green racing stripes, rear routed.

-Still pondering the pickups. I've been looking at an MM, PJ, or Dual Soapbar setup. I want something agressive yet tight and versatile.

-Aguilar OBP1 preamp.

-Kahler bass trem in black.

-Light Schaller tuners in black.

-Dunlop strap locks.

-Rubber coated black knobs.(on Warmoth site)

-Dual battery box.

Electronics:
    -18db treble and bass boost only
    -Pickup blend
    -volume
    -Passive option
    -If I go with the MM option, coil switching.

8. chazburger

chazburger Guest

Aug 31, 2007
    Australia
    I've worked out that all the components will cost about $1500US and for shipping and getting some professional work on it it will elevate the preice to about $2000US. Do you guys think this is overkill for a 15 year old thats been playing bass for about over 3 years by the time I get it?

9. chazburger

chazburger Guest

Aug 31, 2007
    Australia
    Has anyone had any experience with Nordstrnd fat stacks? I so want them...

10. chazburger

chazburger Guest

Aug 31, 2007
    Australia
    No I've changed my mind again. Will the Norstrand MM.3 go into a Warmoth or would I be better off going with the MM.2?

11. richnota

richnota

Jan 11, 2005
    Santa Cruz
    totally different Warmoth vibe.

Nordstrand 51 style split coil in my Warmoth lined fretless korina/bubinga

But my hunch is if you need a Whammy bar, the MM style Nordy is going to be more your thing (i have a double in my MM bass and it sounds great)

L1020021.jpg

12. chazburger

chazburger Guest

Aug 31, 2007
    Australia
    I emailed Warmoth about the dual MM and he said thats fine, they can rout it at no extra charge. I'm still not sure whether to go for 1 or 2 MMs. Would it be significantly harder to wire 2 MMs? Would I be able to get the same tone as 1 in the bridge position by soloing that pickup?

Man that all bubinga neck looks sexy. How does it play and what are its tonal characteristics?