Water towers

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by MJ5150, Apr 9, 2018.

Tags:
  1. viribus

viribus Gold Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2011
    Pacific Northwest
    I never actually learned to play very well
    My avatar is looking up the skirt of the water tower in Oakridge Oregon.

6A9A2A3B-984E-4532-AC14-7957F3EC742B.jpeg

332669A8-70EF-47A2-879F-5DE580F03C8E.jpeg 235C77ED-2567-421C-B6F3-A4E269CF9769.jpeg

shadowtippy, S-Bigbottom and GregC like this.
  2. Hurricane Jimmie

Hurricane Jimmie Supporting Member

catsupintheclouds.jpg
    In Collinsville, IL (Metro St. Louis) ....and I believe it's for sale.

David Jayne, GregC and OldDog52 like this.
  3. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    @two fingers, that's rad. Thanks for taking the time out to chronicle your day.

-Mike

two fingers likes this.
  4. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown

Feb 16, 2011
    My teen years were spent in a small southern town with a largish water tower. Some enterprising soul(s) climbed it one night and painted a big black rectangle over he city name, then did a very good job of adding “GRIT CITY” in white against the black bar in a font that looked real close to what was used for the city name. The city had no budget item to cover such things so the name remained the same for quite a while until the state gave the city a grant to repaint the whole thing.
    Later as an adult, i worked in a plant that fabricated hydrocrackers, floating roof tanks, and other large pressure vessels used in chemical manufacture and storage. We also built water spheres (imagine a golf ball on a tee) and water spheroids (an onion on that same tee). Occasionally we got jobs doing custom tanks. We built the peachoid in Gafney SC and the big peach tank in Clanton AL. The peachoid holds a million gallons and the big peach holds five hundred thousand gallons. I did all the flat plate cutting programming on those two jobs as well as designing the press blocks used to upset the plates used for the bottom teat and the crease that makes them look like a giant set of butt cheeks. They were your basic water spheres with the peach details added strictly as cosmetic details. We submitted a bid to do a candy bar shaped tank for Hershey but we didn’t get the job. Scuttlebutt said it never got built because of concerns over cost.
    Here’s the peach tanks.

B5B29839-7F55-498F-8027-D7341C64B2F8.png 98CD192E-1373-45B9-8B58-3155841E8FE2.jpeg

Last edited: Apr 10, 2018
  5. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Inactive

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    I drove right by most of them. I had to hunt down a couple. It was fun. Like I said, I was in a weird mood today.
    I forgot the rusty one at Camp LeJeune. It almost got away from me.
    20180410_110701.jpg

The one with the duck on it is at Grainger Stadium in Kinston. That's the home of the Downeast Wood Ducks baseball team... a Carolina League team that is a farm team for the Texas Rangers. For years the Kinston Indians played there... part of the Cleveland system. It was built in the late 40s and is a cool old school park to watch a game in.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2018
    S-Bigbottom, David Jayne and MJ5150 like this.
  6. two fingers

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    That's some cool stuff!

MJ5150 likes this.
  7. nutdog

nutdog when I'm a good dog they sometimes throw me a bone

Feb 19, 2009
    in the dog house
    Passed the Peachoid many times on 85.

8. this is my tower...

4457936623_ff598972c1_b.jpg

We aren't using it currently because of a $1.4mil bond to repaint it (it was rusting through supposedly)... they are routing water from elsewhere.

My wife and inlaws have lived in the same development since the 70s (inlaws are 10 blocks away)... it used to be wells until they found out the ground water was poison.
    DEP to settle Manchester contamination claim for $10M

S-Bigbottom likes this.
  9. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    This one is a 1/2 mile from my pad but it's not active
    mifvd9-b781066535z.120130218151352000gjs1cidj8.2.jpg

A famous water tower?
    1316d0d36836b29fc5221381068a0b09.jpg

OldDog52, S-Bigbottom and GregC like this.
  10. BioDriver

BioDriver A Cinderella story

Aug 29, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Saw a lot of this one for a few years:

8264656513_a8a8267e00_b.jpg

S-Bigbottom and Jeff Scott like this.
  11. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru..........

Apr 11, 2006
    NEOhio
    This is where all the cool bassists who use Aguilar Amps hang out.

12. catcauphonic

catcauphonic High Freak of the Low Frequencies Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2012
    Seattle WA
    No pic, no renovated water tower ;)
    Cool concept... I'd love to see it.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2018
    GregC, MJ5150 and Oddly like this.
  13. catcauphonic

Mar 30, 2012
    Seattle WA
  14. two fingers

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Thanks! Nah, just my Galaxy S8.

Some of these were taken at 60 mph! :D

catcauphonic likes this.
  15. catcauphonic

Mar 30, 2012
    Seattle WA
    I did a little research since the only one I could think of was this one in Volunteer Park (nicknamed 'the poor man's Space Needle') > downloadfile-5.jpg

You can stroll on upstairs for free. Here's the view looking west towards downtown, and an interior shot >
    volunteer-park-water-2.jpg inside-the-water-tower.jpg

I also learned about one in the northeast Maple Leaf neighborhood > 1913260.jpg

And another in the western edge's Magnolia Neighborhood that looks like a spaceship :ninja: > 16576666885_95c6d9376e_m.jpg Magnolia_water_tank,_1950.jpg

(Photos are not mine own)

S-Bigbottom, GregC and Oddly like this.
  16. Robroy

Robroy Guest

Jun 21, 2006
    Back in 1970 my friends and I went to the top of a watertower in Kent and brought a cigarette and an m-80. We stuck the M-80 fuse perpendicular through the cigarette at about the halfway point, lit the cigarette and placed it on the top of the tower.

We then climbed down and ran back to the car about 200 yards away and watched. It took about ten minutes. It was oddly enjoyable.

catcauphonic and Oddly like this.
  17. Oddly

Oddly

Jan 17, 2014
    Dublin, Ireland.
    TalkBass never ceases to amaze me...who knew water towers could be so much fun?

18. two fingers

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    As a ham radio guy, I have often wondered how difficult it would be to get one set up on a water tower as opposed to navigating the politics around towers. Hams are usually pretty resourceful, so if it were practical I'm sure they would have found a way.

19. two fingers

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Ha! I have to admit, most of what I was doing yesterday was picking up one piece of equipment and bringing it back....two hour's drive each way. The water tower scavenger hunt gave me a little more "purpose" on an otherwise boring work day. :D

catcauphonic, S-Bigbottom and Oddly like this.
  20. BioDriver

BioDriver A Cinderella story

Aug 29, 2008
    Austin, TX

drummer5359, elgecko and Oddly like this.