"What bass should I buy?" -maybe don't?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Gorn, Mar 27, 2020.

1. Gorn

Gorn Supporting Member

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    The other day someone made a thread asking what bass they should buy. They had a couple of US made Fenders and a Rick and was looking for a new addition to the collection but didn't want to spend over $5000. Now I'm not a financial success story with plenty of money in the bank for a rainy or unemployed day so far be it from me to give spending advice, but does it strike anyone else as unwise to make major, or even minor bass purchases with what's going on in the world? From paycheck to paycheck workers to people with lots of money in the bank, correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems to me no one's financial future is particularly secure right now and maybe luxury purchases aren't the best idea for the time being.

Dilver, Larchi, punchdrunk and 39 others like this.
  2. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Co-worker just bought a cottage in NC...we tried to talk him outta it. Nope, deaf ears.
    My car is almost 14 years old...if not for surgery next month, I would be thinking hard about a new one.
    Anyway, no new major purchases is my vote.

Dilver, gebass6, Outshined91 and 10 others like this.
  3. Lagado

Lagado Inactive

Jan 6, 2020
    "We must shift America from a needs, to a desires culture. People must be trained to desire, to want new things even before the old had been entirely consumed. We must shape a new mentality in America. Man's desires must overshadow his needs."

Paul Mazur of Lehman Brothers. Around 1924.

4. Gorn

Gorn Supporting Member

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    Same deal with ordering food. It's great that restaurants are doing deliveries and seamless and grubhub are waiving delivery fees and it's wonderful to help keep restaurants open because they're surely struggling, but, as much as I'd love to spend $20 on Thai food delivered to my front door, $20 can get me a lot more food from the supermarket than some drunken noodles and a Thai iced tea.

5. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    That said, I am really worried about a couple of my local favourites here in north Suffolk, VA.

6. garp

garp

Feb 7, 2009
    Connecticut USA
    More than 70% of the U.S. economy is comprised of consumer spending. Whether it's toilet paper, electric basses, or – in the words of the late Robin Leach – "champagne wishes and caviar dreams," one could potentially argue that any spending restraint will only compound the damage wrought.

kobass, 4-fingers, Jscriv and 17 others like this.
  7. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Gold Supporting Member

i hear you, OP, but projecting 'your own' onto others is a bonafide, sure-fire, TB 'thing'.* what you call "luxury" might be a pittance to someone else (someone who has their own 'plan'). i wouldn't spend $5000 on anything --- but some folks would/can. but: someone else spending their money on something i think is stupid? = big whup! :laugh:

also: denial is a great, but blunt, defense mechanism. it's the most common because it works so well! :D

good luck with your incredulousness! :thumbsup:

* common human frailty = everyone likes doing it. ;)

RodRy, Strung_Low, LBS-bass and 13 others like this.
  8. Cliff Colton

Cliff Colton

Nov 7, 2016
    Spending discretionary money for non-essentials during a downturn is somewhat patriotic because it adds to the tax treasuries, and provides support to businesses and workers.

This crisis will pass. Get a new bass if you can.

9. What if we really don't need much of anything?

10. TonyP-

TonyP- Excuse me but you have your I-IV-V in my II-V-I Gold Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2003
    Boston Mass
    A-Designs Mike Lull GK Tsunami Cables GHS Strings RMI Basswitch Nordstrand Pickups Darkglass
    If you have the money to spend and you are not hurting anyone then why not.

I lost my gigging right now and I’m investing a few thousand into studio gear, even with my income loss.

Why, because it’s feasible for me based on some of the investments I made. I’m only helping the economy not hurting it that way.

If I can’t gig right now, I might as well record.:thumbsup:

OldFunBass, JES, hrodbert696 and 18 others like this.
  11. Lagado

Lagado Inactive

Jan 6, 2020
    We shall force you to be happy.

Sixgunn, hrodbert696, TonyP- and 6 others like this.
  12. garp

garp

Feb 7, 2009
    Connecticut USA
    Agreed. Seems like an appropriate time to post a link to Kenny Loggins' I'm Alright with Kenny dressed in "hazmat orange." Killer bass part.

punchdrunk, 405BassGuy, LXvG and 4 others like this.
  13. Ace Of Bass

Ace Of Bass A Rooster Illusion

Jun 27, 2006
    DMV
    I completely agree with this..very uncertain times for most, and I’m included...I wouldn’t spend anything on gear myself, but my brother came from Wisconsin to visit and left with my Aguilar stack about a month ago...I went from looking for a new 700+W rig to looking to bargain buy a nice cabinet at half the power and price...either that or wether the storm for the foreseeable future with a 15 w practice amp..

14. I mean, if I absolutely MUST have another bass, I suppose I could fake a smile ;) .

15. Playbyear

Playbyear

Nov 20, 2019
    MA
    The time NOT to buy was a month ago... if you are NOW out of work and worried about bills.

Now (or soon) is the time to buy if you are in a good place financially. Deals will be good and your purchase helps someone else get by.

The only thing I’ll say in a spiritual way is: If someone is needing the cash and has already priced their item to sell (it’s a good deal). Give them their price and don’t try to bend them over because you know they’re desperate.

16. bassstrangler

bassstrangler

Mar 2, 2015
    AZ
    The one thing I've learned...people gonna do what people gonna do. If it doesn't hurt me, then I don't care what they do.

17. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    If you're able, I hope it goes well, JK!

TonyP-, teh-slb, nbsipics and 3 others like this.
  18. Bajo Clarkko

Bajo Clarkko

Aug 9, 2015
    Years ago, I heard this saying, pertaining to our economy, based on consumerism:

We spend money we don’t have
    To buy things we don’t need
    To impress people we don’t like

Rafar, kobass, lat and 15 others like this.
  19. I won't be buying any, but if I decide to sell, I hope somebody's still buying. Or at least see if they're willing to trade for matches and pemican.

20. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Thanks...they haven't cancelled (yet).
    It's not elective surgery, so...we'll see.