What is the best playing/sounding bass you’ve owned

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Viggo51, Jun 1, 2018.

1. Viggo51

Viggo51 Supporting Member

Oct 26, 2012
    Portland Oregon
    B7852D29-BA20-4ADA-B75C-7585424B3E27.jpeg B4C1911E-C795-49C8-B8CD-B466B5597450.jpeg So I figure that this subject has been broached before but I’ve recently acquired a MTD 535-24. It is the best bass I’ve ever had for my playing style (more aggressive) I’ve been partial to Warwick’s but I’veowned many basses over the years (Fenders, Sadowsky, Lakland, and Bolin). This bass just blows them all away... I just can’t put it down! Anybody else find this kind of inspiration in a pice of gear? What was it?

Last edited: Jun 1, 2018
  2. tfer

tfer

Jan 1, 2014
    Ibanez Portamento.

If it wasn’t for the simplicity of playing my fretted 6 live, I’d never play anything else.

3. Burwabit

Burwabit Likes guitars that tune good and firm feelin women

Apr 4, 2011
    Lubbock, TX
    The one I'm selling at the time... always best ever but still selling for some reason.

4. Guinness20

Guinness20

Jan 24, 2013
    Liverpool, UK
    Stingray

5. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    My Fender parts bass that I have been playing for over 33 years:

- '76 clear Jazz body
    - '73 P neck
    - DiMarzio bridge pickup
    - Hipshot d-tuner on the E

Other than replacing the Badass II bridge with a vintage one, and refinishing the body (the prior owner had destroyed the finish), it hasn't changed in over three decades. A little heavy, but basically a part of me.

6. twinjet

twinjet Powered by GE90s; fueled with coffee. Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Sep 23, 2008
    A G&L L-2000. I'm sick of cross-posting, just check my media page if you want pics.

Luigir, biguglyman and Viggo51 like this.
  7. HauntedDave

HauntedDave Guest

Mar 7, 2016
    Houston, TX
    Washburn WB-66.

ticay and Viggo51 like this.
  8. Member8675309

Member8675309 Inactive

Aug 19, 2017
    Nashville, TN
    For pure adrenaline, I’d say the Gibson SG. It’s easily the hot rod of basses.

Viggo51 likes this.
  9. The one I'm playing at the time.

10. I own a Birdsong Hy5 and it is the best sounding bass I've ever played.

11. Best for the song? The set? The band? My basses are like colors, I paint with what works for what I'm trying to create.

jamro217, 40Hz, Bob_Ross and 4 others like this.
  12. Beautiful bass!

13. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

My 2010 Precision V. It’s just so bony ant in any position on the neck. Fits tone-wise in anywhere. It’s instinctive, light and feels good in my hands, terrific tone.

Probably not the nicest bass but, for me and the genre, it just works.

NoSlapForYou likes this.
  14. <<<<<<<<<<<<<Mine.

Quantized Harmonic likes this.
  15. First would be the Gibson Les Paul standard bass I owned years ago, sold it like an idiot since we hadn't played in over a year. Second would be my American pro jazz. It plays and sounds as good, it's only second because it's not as pretty.

Attached Files:

matt11 likes this.
  16. A fretless Carvin AC50 that I saw at a local store. All Koa, gloss finish, tapewound strings, flawless and sounded like heaven. I had never played fretless before and yet my fingers knew exactly where to fall.

I've wanted a Carvin/Kiesel ever since. I got a used AC50 but the previous owner had damaged the piezo

Omega Monkey and Groove Doctor like this.
  17. mikewalker

mikewalker Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2017
    Canada, Eh!
    In the past 40-odd years I have had a couple of hundred basses (including several extreme full-custom boutique basses) - and I currently own 8 1/2 other very nice basses, but this Vaccaro X-ray has turned out to be the best of the best of the best!! It sounds so good that it even over-rides my sworn devotion to the comforts of 32 inch scale. (Vaccaro is 34)

full-front.JPG
    Who knew?

18. gsquare

gsquare Pedal Breeders' BIGBoardClub#104;CabronitaClub#8 Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2012
    Phoenix
    My early ‘90’s Modulus Q5. It’s been my main bass for over 20 years, it plays like a dream and has won over the hearts of hundreds of sound guys over the years!

mikewalker likes this.
  19. interp

interp

Apr 14, 2005
    Garmisch, Germany
    Best sounding and playing bass I’ve ever owned...or laid hands on. Marleaux Contra five-string. A1EB6899-6705-476A-AB37-7F12E38CC961.jpeg

aguacollas, Koog, matt11 and 7 others like this.