What would you do?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by chubfarm2001, Jul 9, 2012.

1. I have help bring my current band into a pretty reputable act in my area. We play music that no other cover band plays, and the crowd has really caught on. It's alot of dance music, and most of the bands in this area play classic rock/country. Well, my guitar player recently said he was not really into the music and decided to leave. It was a respectable separation, no hard feelings and he will play these last few shows and offered to help a new guitarist the songs. We are still on good terms. Today he asked if I would play bass for his new classic rock/country project, along with my original party band (he doesn't want to split us up). Now I think I could handle 2 cover bands as long as the booking works out. But I am worried about my frontman for the party band, which took it somewhat hard and a little dramafied. It was myself and the frontman that built this band from the ground up with the focus of doing something different, and it has paid off. But the classic rock/country style pays alot better around here, and I LOVE money. But country music is my least favorite music on the planet. I won't be happy with the music. Would you do both? A band that you helped build from ground up that playes fun music that you are really into but just pays ok, or a band you will have to help build that pays much better but will hate the music? Or both and just take over the booking so there is no conflicting shows?

2. RoadRanger

RoadRanger Supporting Member

Feb 18, 2004
    NE CT
    I'm kinda at the front end of this - a female singer and I are putting together a contemporary top 40 dance band but can't find a guitarist willing to play it :( . I was thinking we could get more and/or better paying gigs than all the classic rock bands around here but you've experienced the opposite?

3. jonas_24112

jonas_24112

Jul 11, 2011
    I got money that says the dance band will get bigger gigs and better money. Classic rock/country bands are a dime a dozen and have to work for cheap to compete. Stick with ithe dance band. It will pay off.

4. Marko 1

Marko 1 Supporting Member

Agreed. I know that’s the case around here.

Last band was classic rock, country, variety, but especially with country, there’s a definite ceiling on pay and the better rooms.

I (with other band buddy) put a new band together, had to ditch the country, and I have to stay on the case (I’m the BL but not a control freak) to make sure we’re putting more dance/funk on the setlist as we’re putting new songs together.

5. Yeah around here the market is flooded with classic/country. I think thats why people and club owners really like us. It might also be that we all look like we should be playing hard rock, almost metal (alot of Affliction). But even the bikers that see us will get out and dance to 'Lets Get it Started' or 'Baby Got Back'.

6. Marko 1

Marko 1 Supporting Member

Ha… we did an annual “Coon Hunter’s Fest” (that’s “raccoon”), hundreds of rednecks (actually thousands through the place the whole weekend) flea market, all kindsa games (a couple of which imo abused the poor little raccoons which kinda bugged me), hunting dogs and shotguns all ‘round, two-day gig, good pay…

We pulled out all the country tunes and put together a gang more… hell, I sang “He Stopped Loving Her Today” and “White Lighting” (turns out I do a convincing George Jones)… then break comes and the fader-rider puts the “wrong” CD and the ‘Cha Cha Slide comes on… oh oh… :help:

Ha… everybody jumped on the dance floor, chicks, dudes, every age…

Lesson learned! :D

7. lowfreq33

lowfreq33 Guest

Jan 27, 2010
    Nashville
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amplification
    We carry a couple of hula hoops with us to get girls involved at shows. At a recent bike night gig the bikers themselves had an impromptu hula hoop contest. Imagine 20 (real) bikers in full leathers arguing over a hula hoop, saying "you already had a turn!".

They also stole our hula hoops.

8. pklima

pklima Commercial User

May 2, 2003
    Kraków, Polska
    Karoryfer Samples
    Playing in multiple bands is usually no problem, and I've asked people from bands I've quit to work with me in other projects, so that's OK too. I wouldn't want to play classic rock myself either, though. Last time a friend's rock band asked me to I told them I'm not a rock guy, but I can ask around and help them find a bassist.

As far as dance bands, I think that's a great idea and very marketable. I'm also trying to put together a total dance band with drum loops, no rock songs etc. That's hard, but the more dance/pop my other bands do, the better it is received. We do hip-hop, electro, dancehall, reggaeton, kuduro, even sertanejo, mostly songs from the past 4-5 years. Now working on adding some classic 90s Eurodance for nostalgia.

9. To the OP:
    I'd stick with the band you started. It doesn't sound like your heart would be into the classic rock/country band which would be a disservice to your old guitarist.

10. baileyboy

baileyboy Inactive

Aug 12, 2010
    We are primarily a classic rock band, though are starting to move toward 70s disco and dance tunes... "Brick House", "Bad Girls" and such. We get our best crowd reaction from these types of tunes... gotta give the folks what they want or play to empty bars.

11. viper4000

viper4000

Aug 17, 2010
    Charlotte
    They do love their country music in Ohio. I'd say do both if you can handle the family/job/bands thing. If not, go with what you love, which appears to be the dance band. Nothing wrong with turning down a pay-out for something you really have a lot of fun doing. Plus, the tighter you get with a dance band, the better chances you have of getting corporate parties and such. That's where the pay out comes from.

On a side note, I was in the "I hate commercial country camp" when I joined a classic rock/country band. I must admit, playing some of those bass lines really makes you think. You'd be surprised at how many "easy lines" are actually quite interesting and original.

Good Luck!

12. Well that is another thing I am considering too, the learning experience. This would be a new style and a way to broaden my musical horizons. I always like learning new things on bass, even if i despise the music itself, there is always some little things that will make me a better player, not to mention playing with different musicians. I have found that to be a great learning tool thru the years.

I might try to do both, but keep my main focus on the dance band. We are thinking of replacing the lost guitar with someone that plays keys and guitar, which would allow us more freedom with song selection.

13. I would say that unless you HAVE to, you should never commit to playing music you don't like. Rots the soul, and all that.

14. lfmn16

lfmn16 Inactive

Sep 21, 2011
    charles town, wv
    Here's your answer but you may find out down the road that you payed a huge price for that money.

15. ChrisB2

ChrisB2 Bass... in your fass Supporting Member

Feb 27, 2008
    TalkBass > Off Topic
    I would be all over that. My concern would be booking conflicts, and not just getting dates confused. What happens when one band feels you're booking the other band too much, or giving the other band preference in terms of rooms? There are plenty of opportunities for hard feelings...

However, if both bands want to gig only once a month, and you want to gig twice a month, you're golden. In that case I would definitely go for it. And yeah, modern country can be really fun to play.

Good luck! :D

16. Well both bands only want to play 1-2 times a month, but I like staying busy. I don't see big problems with booking, but there could be feelings of favoring shows like you said. I will just be mindful to keep things as evenly as I can.

17. pklima

pklima Commercial User

May 2, 2003
    Kraków, Polska
    Karoryfer Samples
    Don't try to keep things totally totally even. The band with more demand will be able to get better gigs.

18. viper4000

viper4000

Aug 17, 2010
    Charlotte
    Be sure to establish the booking rules. Will the dance band always get preference, or will you go with First-Book-First-Play? You cannot be in two bands without having determined this beforehand. Honesty with both groups will be key to prevent any hard feeling or thoughts that you are sand bagging one band to promote the other.

19. Russell L

Russell L

Mar 5, 2011
    Cayce, SC
    Life is too short to not play music you like. I'm 62, what do I know?

20. RoadRanger

RoadRanger Supporting Member

Feb 18, 2004
    NE CT
    To paraphrase CSN:
    "If you can't get gigs with the music you love, learn to love the music that will"
    :cool: