What's with basses these days?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by AltIII, Dec 5, 2002.

1. AltIII

AltIII Guest

Sep 3, 2002
    If I may defend my reputation, which may be too late:
    I never intended this thread to be taken too seriously. I was just a little ticked that after searching for a custom bass shop to make my "dream", all I could find was luthiers that seem to shy away from paint jobs and all thier basses look basically the same. Of course my method of relieving stress is to rant without regard to other opinions or logic (which is out of character for me).

I do like some wood-toned basses, I think buckeye burl is absolutly beautiful, like a whorshak (sic) test. But as much as I like ogling at them, they're not for me.

I apologize if I seemed like a a-hole, it was not my intention. Am I still in the dog house?

2. AltIII

AltIII Guest

Sep 3, 2002
    so in conclusion:
    in reality, I don't care about the trends in basses these days. I was just blowing off steam.
    I sincerly hope you guys realize I'm not the a-hole I seemed to be when I wrote the original post. In fact, I'm worried that I have given myself a bad rep because of this.

3. FiveStringsNme

FiveStringsNme Guest

Sep 27, 2002
    Suffolk County, NY
    There aren't that many people that just decide to go and post a thread to just show how negative they get.....appearance isn't everything on a bass......it rather compliments the rest of the things you like in the bass.....like the feel, and the sound.

I mean,we can all express our opinons, but cynicism is a bit extreme.

4. AltIII

AltIII Guest

Sep 3, 2002
    I'm really not a negative person. But I do admit to being cynical.
    Dammit, I wish I didn't post this. too late eh? Everyone that's read it has already labeled me scum. Is there anyway I can take it all back and regain the teeny tiny bit of respect that anonimity gave me?

5. JOME77

JOME77 Living in the Moment Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    You miss the advantage of living in a free society. It's about choices my friend, choices.

Well spoken John!;)
    To each his own! If someone wants to play a painted bass held together with various wood fillers I have no problem with that!:D

6. AltIII

AltIII Guest

Sep 3, 2002
    FINALLY!!! Someone detected my humor!!! There is some hope, or not... :(

Perhaps I could compare this experience to John Lennon saying "We're bigger than Jesus"
    But then people would accuse me of comparing myself to John Lennon, which is clearly heresy. I am not an equal to John Lennon, but Jesus is a different story...

7. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Supporting Member

Oh, don't get all worked up over this, AltIII. Nobody really gives a rat anyway. You'll be OK.

8. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Reviewer: Bass Player Magazine
    Buy us each a Fodera....NOW! :) Seirously, no harm done. Or just become a supporting member and no one will even remember your pre-supporting days. And hey, I was serious-you did give me a great name for my next custom!

9. rojo412

rojo412 Sit down, Danny... Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    I see one key point that he made:

"Custom Shops" do seem to be catering to the fancy schmantzy customers more than the dude who wants a hard-looking, bad ass bass. I agree. (Maybe not with the execution, but the overall point)

But on the other side of the coin, not many people come to a custom builder to get something "controvercial" or "bizarre" (anymore, that is).

This is all about many factors, but mostly about money and business success. It may be cool for someone to have something really awesome painted on their bass... but Vinnie Fodera isn't doing it... Roger Sadowsky isn't doing it. Whether it's about reputation or a desire to keep an untarnished image to high-money clients, luthiers tend to opt either to not do such work or do it and won't tell anyone about it. Or... no one has had the balls to ask.

Those who do it are either custom paint shops (not just for music gear) or they are Hamer, Jackson, BC Rich, or Warwick (though I'm sure that there are more). I've seen some funky shizzle from those boys (although most was from the 80's), including a guitar painted with spiderman on it with LEDs in the neck, a bass with genitals painted on it (Sixx), chrome painted, flames, skulls, etc. Wasn't cheap though.

10. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Supporting Member

You talkin' 'bout me? You talkin' 'bout ME?

11. turkish

turkish Guest

Jul 14, 2002
    FCCAUSA, or here

ahahahhahahahahaahhaahah

personally i love the shape of the skyline basses

12. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett Commercial User

Nov 25, 2001
    Cane Ridge, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer LowEndBassShop.com, Builder LowEndBasses.com
    I think there are customer builders that will have done whatever you like. Heck that's why it’s custom for the customer.
    I think Sadowsky and fodera would do it as well if someone wanted skulls or chicks painted on a bass.

I know Chris Benavente has a couple that are out there with different custom paint jobs. I see these as less or a player bass and more of a showpiece then a buckeye burl top or something.

I'm not sure our poster really was looking for skulls or chicks, but if he is he doesn't have to look real far.

But then again, I'm not sure where he's looking if he hasn't had any custom builders willing to help him unless they just don't know painters who can handle the job. That in it self is the tuff part.

13. MattFreemanRock

MattFreemanRock Guest

Nov 30, 2002
    HAHA. i saw that game.