who has gk? pros and cons

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by fifthorange, Aug 28, 2004.

1. metalbass101

metalbass101 Guest

Jan 24, 2004
    I just got my 1001rb-II

PROS:

*Looks good

*sounds great (Mid-scooped lows,clean presenced highs.)

* lots of features

*good contruction

*decently light and portable

CONS:

*I would kind of perfer those red marks to be black.

*The countour knob does nothing unless turned all the way.

*Same for the presence knob. :)( )

*Same for the boost knob.

*The 4/5 string button is COMPLETLY usless.

(Take note that I am using a crappy little combo, the speaker is just getting crapeir and crapeir, a real cab-probably a different story all together /\ /\ /\)

2. xcental34x

xcental34x Guest

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    You're nuts. The voicing filters are among the most effective of any amp I've ever tried. Get yourself a decent cab, then judge it.

~Patrick

3. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Only con I have seen is my heavy attack makes it distorted to the point of it sounding like a heavy overdrive.

4. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    I've owned 2 400RBIII's, a 2000RB head and I presently own a 1001RB 2-10" combo. IMO G-K manufactures reasonably priced, highly reliable products that sound great.

-Art.

5. Cantstandsya

Cantstandsya

Jul 27, 2001
    Fontana, CA
    All pros i'd say...........Lightweight,Loud,Affordable,Reliable and Grrrrrrrrreat Tone

6. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound

The presence and the contour knobs on my 1001RB work wonders! For funk (thumpin and poppin) those knobs are the bee's knee's and become more of a help in tailoring the edge of you "slap" sound. I also use all GK equipment (1001RB2x10 and a 1x15RBH cab through speakons and have full use of the tweeter amp section). The 4/5 string button works wonders if you use a 5 string bass or just want to voice you 1001RB like a 800RB. Learn to properly use the voicing section instead of just turning up the volume knob like some people do. get a real cab the enjoy your GK the way it was meant to be heard!

7. IvanMike

IvanMike TTRPG enthusiast, Happy, Joyous, & Free. Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    I've never owned Gk but I've used them a bunch.
    The heads are good sounding. Not the most hi-fi out there, but a good solid tone. I think of them as a workhorse type of head. I hate the stupid biamp power sections of the heads with the dinky poweramps that only drive 8 ohms. I just ignore those.
    I think they have made improvements in SOME of their cabinets, but like Jive, I've just never been a fan of their cabs. To me, GK is an Amp head company.

8. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Apparently flea agrees, since he uses mesa cabs with his GK heads.....although I have seen him use some gk cabs ocassionally too.

9. xcental34x

xcental34x Guest

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    Odd. I know he used to use Mesa cabinets before the GK RBH cabinets came out, but since I've seen him only using GK.

10. _Unregistered_

_Unregistered_ Guest

Nov 3, 2004
    I have an 800RB and a 400RB.

I had another 400RB previously, that inexplicably used to destroy the TCT preamp in my Tobias bass. I think it ate some 4 preamps before I finally sold it.

I later replaced that 400RB with another 400RB that doesn't seem to dislike Mr. Bartolini's preamps. I love the sound of the 400RB...maybe even more than the 800RB - sounds a bit tighter and punchier IMHO. I use the 400RB in conjunction with a single 4x10 Hartke for smaller gigs, and I use my 800RB with a 4x10XL and two 1x15XL cabs for larger stages.

My 800RB is a workhorse. I gigged with that amp for many years. The only thing I can say about it that I didn't like was the fact that it would violently THUMP my cabs when first switched on. I feared for the drivers.

Luckily, I found a good technician that put a relay and a time delay circuit in. I switch the amp on, and about 3 seconds later, the relay engages the speakers. Since this mod, I haven't had a single bad feeling about the 800RB. Rock solid, simple (no bells or whistles), compact, relatively lightweight and reliable.

11. pmkelly

pmkelly Supporting Member

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    I guess I am the only one who likes the GK cabinets... I have been using a 700RB with the 115 and 410 SBX cabinets... Killer sound! I also just picked up an Ampeg 810 cab, so I want to move to a 1001 head and save the 700rb as a backup... Great value, great sound, and I have not had any issues with any of my gk products... I will buy them again!

P@

12. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    No your not! iv'e gigged with my all GK rig for a couple of years. There are better cabs out there and alot worse cabs imho but the GK cabs work for me. I have heard some killer boutique cabs *cough* Bergantino *cough* though.

13. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    I don't own any, but the GK Neo cabs I've heard sounded fantastic. My GK 1001RB head IS fantastic.

14. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Ah, my old cab. It's a great one, but they can be kinda sterile. Gotta pump a lotta bass and roll off a lotta treble sometimes.

I love them, sometimes they're a bit too sterile, especially with new SS strings on my Stingray. That can be quite irritating, but the GK growl is totally recognizable and irreplaceble with any other brand. Now if somebody made something that was switchable between a 1001RB and an SVT Classic, I'd be all over it like a fly on poop.

Oh, and the cabs are heavy. No other complaints.

15. wyliee

wyliee

Jul 6, 2003
    Lakewood, WA
    Historically, I haven't cared for GK bass gear. Too much 'honk' for me and reminded me too much of bad 80's hair bands.

However, I've had a chance to try out their new heads and Neo cabinets. I do like these. Very clear, very smooth and pleasing to my ears. Enough so that I'll be sure to include them in consideration for any future purchases. (That is, if I still can't afford the Accugroove cabinets.)

I'm certainly going to spend some time at their booth at NAMM.

16. Dirty Dave

Dirty Dave

Oct 17, 2004
    Boston, MA
    You are not the only one....I just bought the 700RB-II with the 115 and 210 SBX cabinets. Absolutely love the biamp capability and yes, killer sound. Couldn't be happier with this rig. Highly doubt I'll ever look to make a switch from GK.

17. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Dealer Nordstrand Pickups.
    GK1001RB + ANY decent speaker system=great tone thats easy to obtain. Very flexible and pwerful EQ section. GK's innovative bi-amp /tweeter section is brilliant and should be eventually appreciated by those who venture past thier fixed ideas of what "GK sounds like" based on thier hazy recollections of the 80's.

This company didn't rest on thier laurels of days gone by, they really (IMHO) broke new ground in the tightly competitive $600-$800 price catagory. I think personally, that they busted into the higher classed catagory belonging to TF, Eden, Aguilar etc while retaining the cost edge.

If I were the other manufacturers, I'd be a little worried about GK.

Riks music apparently selling this head for $600 brand new KILLS the competition and is making the big retailers bend to keep customers. (I used my Riks music quote to releive Sam Ash of Clearwater one of thier GK1001's in inventory)

It's replaced an Eden, Demeter rig. I use it with my Bergantino speakers and it flat out KILLS. Did I mention that it kills?

Contour and presence controls work magic. The enhance knob on Eden is a poor substitute for the GK tone layout. The WT550 might be a good contender but at this point, I've lost ALL motivation or interest in checking out any other heads.

GK has made me happy to the point where I don't care what TF sounds like. Nope. $300 less-see ya later.

My eden could get a great funk/slap tone. Everything else is a struggle. My Demeter gets a great open all around tone thats clean but too damn nice. The GK delivers both and MORE. Fricking no brainer when you AB 'em. My .02 Happy head hunting, mines over.

18. rbass

rbass Guest

Jan 12, 2005
    this is my first post - i am currently using a 400rb head which i think is made in the 80's and a 115 cab which looks like it was sold with the head - i would recomment this head to a beginner as it is easy to get a great sound using the voicing filters but it tends to not work on the odd occasion - i think i may need to get the fuse changed. it is built like a **** and a bomb would not break it and has excessive headroom and carry.

19. danomite64

danomite64

Nov 16, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    I use a GK 150S head, and the pros are 1) it's a great head for fretless bass, 2) it's light as a feather, and 3) I got it for under $200. I know of no con. :)

20. Tunaman

Tunaman

Dec 26, 2004
    Boston
    Had a 1001RB now for 8 years, thats a hell of a long time with not one problem. Tried it vs the Eden wt800 & found no differences, oh yeah, except 700 bucks.
    :bassist: