Why was this Fender so cheap?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by albass111, Apr 3, 2006.

1. albass111

albass111

Feb 13, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...2&ftrt=1&ftrv=1&saprclo=&saprchi=&sass=&fvi=1

I can't understand why this bass didn't go for more money! I tried to snipe it and came up a little short. The only thing I can think of is that he didn't emphasize USA Jazz, and that he didn't realize it was the Fender Jazz Deluxe Model with a custom order matching headstock. (22 fret) To my knowledge, all of the current Mods were done at the Sadowsky shop.
    BadAss $70, Sad Pre $200, EMG $150 and on top of it, it's an American Deluxe. I can see that it's a player's bass and not collectible, but I bet it sounds great.

Does anyone know if this bass has the same narrow string spacing as the 90-93 Jazz plus?

I have that "I'm a loser because I didn't bid enough" feeling. :crying: ...sigh

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Because it is still a fender? Doesnt matter what you to do it really. yes it has some good upgrades, but a lot of people care about playability as well,and if you dont like how a fender plays.. you wont like it.

Just my opinion.

3. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    This is an older USA Standard Long JHorn that had been refinished and had lots of work done to it.

If you're surprised it didn't sell for more, you should of bid more. ;)

4. puff father

puff father

Jan 20, 2006
    Endicott, NY
    +1 Bid what you're willing to pay on Ebay.

5. Yeah, it's one of the early 90s ones with the weird horns.

6. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    The fact that the bass has mods means little. In my experience, mods add next to nothing to resale value. In fact, a modded bass should be a keeper because one almost never gets one's money back when the bass is sold.

7. lamborghini98

lamborghini98 The Aristocrats

May 1, 2005
    NYC; Portland, OR
    Thats a really sweet looking bass, IMO and I dont think it went for more because its still a Fender. I wouldnt say it's a steal, really... but its definitely one of those good deals that you wish you had the money to jump on (well.. me, at least).

8. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Endorsing artist: Dingwall Guitars
    I would expect an early to mid 90s longhorn Jazz to be in that price range. I paid 700 bucks for mine new. Not only that, but many don't like the 'off' years when fender changed their standard shapes.

Nowhere in the description does it say that the work has been done by Sadowsky. The bass originally would have had the regular top mount output jack. The battery box in the back is new too. Right there are two mods that required some routing.

Beyond that:

-Different tuners, along with re-drilling/filling
    -Respray of the headstock, and probably the body
    -Different control box.
    -Different bridge.
    -Non original pickups

I'd feel lucky as a seller with that bid.

9. M5Yates

M5Yates

Feb 7, 2005
    Austin, TX
    I was watching that auction and the price did jump a bit at the end (as usual). The other reason the price stayed low is that the seller only has one positive feedback from a buyer. The higher risk dictates a lower price.

I thought it was a nice looking "players" bass and I bet the new owner will be very happy with it for that price.

5c_1.jpg f3_1.jpg

10. BobWestbrook

BobWestbrook Mr.

Mar 13, 2006
    Philly suburb
    Seems like about the right price to me.

11. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    It's a Fender. An old one, with one feedback.

It's not a bass for the market. Many don't love those mods.

There are great basses to be had if you like the mods done to the bass, otherwise it doesn't help the value too much, and could even hurt it.

I got a mint condition Marcus Miller Jazz for $430 shipped with case because the neck was swapped. I prefer the new neck so frankly, I got an amazing deal on a bass better than the original, IMO.

12. throw_this_away

throw_this_away Guest

Mar 30, 2006
    those long horns ruin a great classic design

13. i had my eye on it cause my main bass for years was a '92 fender longhorn and now im into sadowsky. the main reason i didnt bid was it had a replacement neck and it was refinished and the body routed out. im also the one that asked him all the questions he had listed. the important questions i asked, he had no answer. he didnt know it was refinished and he didnt know it was not the original neck. he also didnt know where he got it or when???

14. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    May I ask how you know it's a replacement neck?

15. i compared a pic of my old bass and this one. the headstock stickers were different so i figured it was a different neck or repainted with new stickers added. then i looked real close at the pictures and the neck on my original just looked different. when i asked him about it, he said fender thinks it might be a replacment neck but he didnt know for sure.

16. centralharbor

centralharbor Guest

Nov 21, 2005
    hawaii
    boner horn, hehehehehe:bag:

17. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Endorsing artist: Dingwall Guitars
    Did you escape from a Warwick thread?

18. SamTheButcher

SamTheButcher Yis, actually.

Sep 25, 2004
    Charlotte NC
    +1. I did alot of research into Fender decals lately for a neck project I'm doing and that one just doesn't look right. The decal looks to be an early '60's knock-off, a little different than any early-mid '90's decal that I've ever seen. But with re-issues, etc., who knows? That, plus unclear answers and low feedback would be more than enough to keep me away, and enough to keep the price down, IMHO.

19. M5Yates

M5Yates

Feb 7, 2005
    Austin, TX
    I'm not surprised it's a (used) replacement neck. That would explain the extra screw holes from the old style tuners. The ones mounted are the originals.