Wooten

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by bcarll, Aug 23, 2003.

1. bcarll

bcarll Guest

Oct 16, 2001
    Well I finally got to hear Vic Wooten play the bass. I thought to myself as I put the tape in the VCR what can I see or hear somebody do on the bass that I haven't heard before. Well I soon learned that I had not heard or seen it all yet. An amazing young man! Question about the thingy he has on the fretboard up around the nut -- looks like a hair band for a ponytail. What is it and what's the purpose of it? His brother uses it on the guitar also -- 2 or more I think. Thanks!

bcarll

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    You mean a capo?

3. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Reviewer: Bass Player Magazine
    That's not a capo-it's a hairband. Hairbands (as in for ponytails, not as in Winger) help reduce the sympathetic ringing of the strings that often occurs when slapping or tapping, and mutes some of the sustain as well.

4. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    I think he picked that up from reggie, his guitar playing brother(like most of his techniques) If you see reggis perform he has 2-3 hairbands on his guitar.

I've been meaning to try it, but ....meh

5. ldiezman

ldiezman Guest

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    Try using just one hair tie... I tried using two once and it just screwed me up... one works.. but I don't really use the tie... just some experimental stuff..

Yeah Victer is Amazing... though I'm finding myself getting into alot more marcus Miller lately

6. Facehouse

Facehouse Guest

May 27, 2002
    yea that fool must snort a line befor playing

7. Obsolex

Obsolex Guest

Nov 17, 2002
    Dude, Victor Wooten is fuc*#*g insane. When he does that thing where he's playing and toggling the tuner(s) to make those weird funky sounds, can't he tune back by cent (e.g. -1 0 1)?