Would you ever sell your first bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Nickthebassist, Feb 3, 2005.

1. fatbassjazzer

fatbassjazzer

Feb 27, 2004
    ATL
    I would never sell my first bass. Its a fender jazz with a badass II on it. It sounds so good and I love it so much that I don't think I would ever sell it.

2. Hurley

Hurley

Feb 12, 2004
    Cape Cod, MA
    Yeah right. I highly doubt you're doing anything but smiling now that you have the Spector. :p

3. No, I am upset it has had to go. One day(when i have a job) I hope to save up and buy it back, cuz I feel emotionally attached to it, but it's going to someone who will use it i suppose...... :bawl:

4. iriegnome

iriegnome Bassstar style Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
  5. shirojiro

shirojiro

Jan 24, 2001
    San Francisco
    I must be old fashioned, but I learned on an old Kent Jazz Bass copy that sold to get a CAR Gibson EBO as my 2nd bass which I sold to get a Fender Musicmaster which I sold to get a Peavey Foundation... etc.

I don't really miss any of them. I think about the first bass, and I'm sad about the abuse I dealt it, but if I still had it, it would never get played.

I guess people just start out on nicer gear these days. Certainly, entry level gear has improved a *ton*. I still wouldn't call Peavey gear, even the entry level stuff a POS though. I've always found Peavey basses serviceable at the worst. Even when the T40s came out, I thought they were all right.

I do kinda miss the Foundation bass - I had the first year model, and it played incredibly well. When I listen to old recordings I made with it, the tone was good too. The biggest problem with it was that the upper horn didn't extend out to the 12th fret, so the reach to 1st postion was too far for me.

These days, I'm not all that sentimental about gear anymore. I keep things that I want and can afford to keep. Also, it seems that none of my current basses are in production or available easily in the US, so it'd be a PITA to replace them later.

6. mobax

mobax

Dec 31, 2002
    New Baltimore, MI
    My first, second and third basses have been sold or traded. The only one I regret was a sunburst late 60's Precision (bass #3).

7. I've still got my first- 20 or so years- it was a 72 EB-0. Now its something that vaguely resembles an EB-0 with an olympic swimming pool sized route between the pickup and the bridge. It currently sports a G&L bridge and a single coil precision pickup. It don't sound too bad... Just ugly as Devine.

8. mobax

mobax

Dec 31, 2002
    New Baltimore, MI
    I stiil have my first real new bass - a 1973 Precision. In fact, I'm going to use it at rehearsal tonight instead of the MM5. It should be interesting since I haven't used a 4 string with a group in a few years.

9. rockindoc

rockindoc Daily Lama

Jan 26, 2002
    Bonham, Tx
    Sell? It's probably not worth enough to sell. A Gibson EBsomething. Purchased in 1971, it belonged to the bassplayer for Canned Heat "befoe he ga faymus". Haven't played it since about 1982 when its' fuzz button went postal during a gig. It sleeps under the bed. Someday I'll hang it on a wall.